Human rights breached? Anyone care?

Do you care if people like this are denied their Human Rights?

• Yes

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 59 84.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And who speaks for the lives that they took away ?

Those who take a life step outside human society. By doing so, they forfeit their own "rights".

It is a joke. Time we left the ECHR.

The judgement:- http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/sites/eng-press/Pages/search.aspx#{%22sort%22:[%22kpdate%20Descending%22]}

Article 3 (inhuman and degrading treatment)
The Court considered that, for a life sentence to remain compatible with Article 3, there
had to be both a possibility of release and a possibility of review.
It was for the national authorities to decide when such a review should take place.
However, the comparative and international law materials before the Court showed clear support for a mechanism guaranteeing a review no later than 25 years after the
imposition of a life sentence.

I hardly think that when the Convention was drafted in the aftermath of a conflict with a country that had degraded and treated its prisoners at a level of inhumanity so foul, that the absence of a 25 year review of a life sentence should somehow be found in breach of that article.

What bothers me more though is the notion that the court cited that prisoners

"have the possibility of arguing that at some point, after a lengthy period in prison, their detention is no longer necessary in the interests of punishment, deterrence and protection of the public and that their release would be justified on grounds of rehabilitation."

Within 10 years this will be using used by this court to release people because it sets a test that a prisoner can meet and I can easily forsee the negative of which the Government, not the prisoner, will have to be prove in court.

Every year another ratchet.

Last edited:
The only people rubbing their hands with glee are the lifers and the legal profession. Meanwhile we foot the bills and the devastated families of the victims suffer even more. And they call it justice!

This makes me think that;

1) I need to starting voted UKIP. **** Europe if they are going to side with murderers and set them free. What human rights do the victims' families have??

2) Bring back hanging. No going back then, eh. In fact, public stoning.

This is an absolute joke. We as a country should not stand for this. UKIP all the way for me from now on.

A civilised society respects the human rights of all its citizens. That's one of the things that make it civilised.

That doesn't stop the reviewers setting the bar impossibly high for the first review though ;)

This makes me think that;

2) Bring back hanging. No going back then, eh. In fact, public stoning.

Great idea. I'm sure Stefan Kiszko would agree with you. He's the man who was sentenced to life for murdering a little girl. Except he was innocent as were the Birmingham Six, given life for the Birmingham Pub Bombings. Their only crime was using cellulose coated playing cards. Oh, and wilfully and persistently being Irish.

Still, as long as it satisfies the Foaming Tendency what does it matter if their's a bit of collateral damage along the way?

Looks like I'm the minority here! Yes, human rights are important, but it would appear from this poll only if doesn't affect 'nice' people.

It does raise the question of the ECHR - I feel it has become too broad, unaware of culture and a little power hungry. The principle is good, the implementation flawed.

A civilised society respects the human rights of all its citizens. That's one of the things that make it civilised.

That doesn't stop the reviewers setting the bar impossibly high for the first review though ;)

But that could mean respecting the will of the majority...what are the chances of that?

But that could mean respecting the will of the majority...what are the chances of that?

Like a general, local or european election? Not unknown in this country, I believe.:dk:

Like a general, local or european election? Not unknown in this country, I believe.:dk:

No they are elections for who gains office, whether the will of the electorate is reflected in the subsequent actions of the elected is a totally different matter.

No they are elections for who gains office, whether the will of the electorate is reflected in the subsequent actions of the elected is a totally different matter.

Given that we live in a representative democracy, by electing a given government we are placing our trust in them to act on our behalf, not to do our personal bidding. If an issue is sufficiently significant it may merit a referendum, but otherwise it's up to the mandated government to govern as they see fit.

Logic dictates that we will never have a situation where everyone's views are represented, and it's almost invariably the case that votes for the winning party are significantly outweighed by the combined votes for the runners-up.

Utterly "shocked" at the ruling. Never was fond of the Eurocrats.

How I love the thirst for revenge from people who don't know the killer or their victim, those armchair warriors who are so eager to see someone else killed to even the score. Some even boast they would do it themselves. That says more about them than anyone else ever could.
Time after time the evidence we accumulate shows that the death penalty does not deter, but heh! lets not let mere facts confuse the argument, lets get on with being bloodthirsty savages,no better than the offenders but hiding behind state sanctioned killing.
Sometimes I hate the human race, how I hate its stupid face. Anyone who thinks there are simple answers to complex questions is too stupid to have grasped the question. Still, the average IQ is 100 and boy is that low!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom