Humour. Race-related jokes and jokes relating to tragic events.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
A month or so ago, I read this thread (LINK) after researching what those from The Emerald Isle think about typical Paddy and Mick jokes.

Is it ok to tell jokes that ridicule Irish people, or does almost every joke have someone that is ridiculed and perhaps can be considered acceptable?

I know black and Jewish people that in the past, attended Bernard Manning's Embassy club and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - That's why the went to the club!

Also, how soon is too soon for gags to be told about a tragedy?

We hear jokes about the Titanic and people tell these without batting an eyelid these days. However, it was a horrible tragedy whether it was yesterday or over 100 years ago.

On many occasions, after hearing news of the death of a celebrity and such like, a quip will immediately spring to mind.
Sometimes I would like to share the joke but refrain from doing so, out of respect or perhaps moral guilt.

So, when is it right or wrong to make a joke about someone or a tragic event?

It's a fine line. - There are many people who appreciate dank (I think that's the word) humour, but there are probably as many who will take offence.
What for one person is just banter, for another is outright racism.

There are some events that are just too horrific to joke about; the holocaust for example.

Perhaps if you're concerned it's going to offend people, save it for your mates at the pub (or similar social gathering)?

Ringway

I suggest that there is no definitive answers here. We are a complex species, maybe the most complex, in how we think and process thought. The most banal of thoughts can trigger an emotion that has us in fits of laughter or, collapsed in tears of remembrance. Most of us look to others to gauge a reaction to the trigger and will 'follow the crowd'. Some just cannot help themselves (thank goodness) and let their emotions take control. I think that sometimes we have absolutely no idea, why it made us laugh, but it did and that is enough. The PC brigade (who are they?) try and bring their order, to our chaos by telling us what is funny or, acceptable and what is not. That is never going to work.

I personally have enjoyed some of the biggest laughs of my life from my fellow cancer sufferers who's 'gallows humour' would shock those outside of that group. I think that is more of a release from our own internal, concealed fears. But it works and gives a few moments away from the constant inner nagging about our 'lot'.

I suspect that the same or similar applies to what many see as racist humour. Where the group who would seem to be the victims are often the group who would find it funniest if it came within that group. Being outside the club can set one up as an interloper and a target for PC.

I exchanged several emails with a lady on ebay who sold me a part that turned out to be wrong (not her fault). For some unknown reason? I got her name wrong in every email, calling her Katie (her name was Beth). When I realised my error I apologised, at which point she responded saying "thats perfectly okay Frank!!"

I still chuckle at that silly humour now, over a week later.

Last edited:
I been a lover of comedy since I was a lad and have never found black or racist humour particularly funny.

I think it's easy comedy and doesn't take a genius to do it.

I been a lover of comedy since I was a lad and have never found black or racist humour particularly funny.

I think it's easy comedy and doesn't take a genius to do it.

Almost as easy 'comedy' as using the f-word and the like to get a laugh.

Know your audience.

If amongst strangers then err on the side of caution and avoid telling 'potentially offensive' jokes.

Amongst those close to you who know your humour then enjoy the laugh if thats what you like.

just my tuppence worth.

Peter Cooke said that there's no subject that you can't make a joke about.

Ths impotant point is that it has to actually be funny (to the majority of the audience - there's always a miserable sod who is determined to have a grim time no matter what).

I've found as I get older, I find less "comic" material on TV makes me laugh. It could be that I'm becomming a certified miserable old git, but more likely it's just to having heard it before..

Yesterday on the train I sat opposite an Indian lady , her eyes were shut and she was very still, I thought she had died, then I saw the red dot, and realised she was on standby.

Racist? Offensive? Funny? Humorous? To be able to see the funny side, laugh at ourselves with all our shortcomings, even in adversity, shows a certain maturity and confidence as an adult, far too many people are too easily offended, and take it upon themselves to tell us how we should feel, and act as adults, well no thank you, save that for your children. Its a hard world, get over it.

Defusing tragedy

The British do have a tradition of defusing pain with humour.

I was on a "Floor" in '86 when the Challenger disaster happened. It took less than an hour for the new meaning of N.A.S.A. to hit the floor.

It softened the horror, but wasn't really disrespectful because those immediately affected weren't close at hand. That doesn't mean that it's always the right answer.

"Need Another Seven Astronauts"

If it makes me laugh then I consider it funny, I can't switch it off because someone else might be offended.

Bruce hit the nail of the head in what defines acceptible humour is context. Joking about cancer is perfectly acceptable if you have cancer yourself but downright offensive if you are well . It's similar to racial slurs where black guys would often refer too each other as nigg* but woe betide any white man who did because he's not part of that cultural group. Context is all- rule is- if you are not sure how a joke may go down - don't make it.

If you are from the south and you see someone fall over you ignore them.

If you are from the north you laugh at them :D

If you have to think about it? It probably, will not be funny to all...
If you don't think about? It probably, will not be funny to all...

As a "Bruce" I have spent a lifetime (this will surprise some people) rolling about the floor, in hysterical laughter at the "Robert The Bruce? Cuddly Toy, Cuddly Toy, Rule One, No Poofters, Brucie Baby" Seriously.... To some it is a genuine revelation that I may have heard these "jokes" about fifty times that day, before I get to their rendition. But I smile politely and carry on.

My wife is 4' 9" tall. Never a day passes without somebody saying "I could pick you up and carry you home" " Can I put you in my pocket" "Let me just reach over to get that stuff"

Ho Ho Ho..

Last edited:
I was having this conversation the other day , -'there was an Englishman Irishman and Scotsman', jokes remember them ? haven't heard them for a long time now.

But they could be funny, and you simply changed the result depending on which of the above was telling them.

My Dad was Irish , and only a few times did he get wound up by the same people always making out he was 'thick' but those sort of people are generally obnoxious / Insensitive anyway.(unless you make fun of them)

I think to joke about death etc, is a good way to overcome grief , Soldiers rely on it a LOT, but to me , I would never make a joke unless I was in the same boat as such , which kind of earns you the 'right' make light of a bad situation or unless you know that person really well.

Modern comedy on TV I find pretty crappy, if you think racist and swearing is easy comedy, what about Trump/Brexit jokes ? It's almost mandatory if you are on BBC Show to keep telling them.

Bill Hicks', Peter Cooke and Dudley More, Dave Allen, Richard Pryer- I miss those guys :)

But as others have commented it's all relative to what you find amusing- I hated and never got the Office, and just don't find the guy funny - but he is like a god to other people.

My attitude is switch over /turn off don't go etc

Much like Social Media don't view ,listen to it, if you can be offended easily, its Simples really.

I hate the massive Politically correctness situation we are in now, afraid to say this or that, and jokes are just the tip of the Iceberg.

A month or so ago, I read this thread (LINK) after researching what those from The Emerald Isle think about typical Paddy and Mick jokes.

Is it ok to tell jokes that ridicule Irish people, or does almost every joke have someone that is ridiculed and perhaps can be considered acceptable?

I know black and Jewish people that in the past, attended Bernard Manning's Embassy club and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - That's why the went to the club!

Also, how soon is too soon for gags to be told about a tragedy?

We hear jokes about the Titanic and people tell these without batting an eyelid these days. However, it was a horrible tragedy whether it was yesterday or over 100 years ago.

On many occasions, after hearing news of the death of a celebrity and such like, a quip will immediately spring to mind.
Sometimes I would like to share the joke but refrain from doing so, out of respect or perhaps moral guilt.

So, when is it right or wrong to make a joke about someone or a tragic event?

It is quite common in the Fire Service to have black humour as a way of dealing with what would otherwise be deemed horrific events .

Probably the same in other emergency services .

It's very subjective and very individual. I have a very dark sense of humour and can make a joke out of most things. It's not that I'm an insensitive b*stard but life is harsh and gritty at times, making light of things is just a joke as far as I'm concerned.

A racist joke or a joke about stereotypes is an ignorant joke, it assumes that really we know that no sex or ethnicity is superior or inferior. If I told a joke about something really dark or a bit wrong so to speak, I'd say it with a view that anyone that knows me, knows that's not what I actually think. Hence you need to pick your audience when making a comment or joke about something.

A joke is a joke.

You either find it funny or not.

Be it a knock knock children's joke or an adult offensive joke.

People are allowed to be offended, but people are also allowed to accept it as humour. It doesn't mean the person telling it is a racists or whatever..... It's a joke.

A joke is a joke.

You either find it funny or not.

Be it a knock knock children's joke or an adult offensive joke.

People are allowed to be offended, but people are also allowed to accept it as humour. It doesn't mean the person telling it is a racists or whatever..... It's a joke.
'A bit like on Top Gear'

Google Stewart Lee on Top Gear for his routine about the 'it's just a joke' defence. Well, it was funny to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom