Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flymanflyuk

Sadly my 97 230 CLK shead its camchain last wednesday however on the upside I did get to enjoy the hardshoulder of the M5 for 2 and a half hours...

I'm left with a quandry.... what to do.
Pay to have a secondhand engine in it
Sell as a project for someone else to do it

The shame is that the body is very good with almost perfect arches etc.

Anyone got any ideas as to the likely costs for an engine replacement?

TIA

Sadly my 97 230 CLK shead its camchain last wednesday however on the upside I did get to enjoy the hardshoulder of the M5 for 2 and a half hours...

I'm left with a quandry.... what to do.
Pay to have a secondhand engine in it
Sell as a project for someone else to do it

The shame is that the body is very good with almost perfect arches etc.

Anyone got any ideas as to the likely costs for an engine replacement?

TIA

Used engine £400, fitting £300 - so around £700.

well I guess life sometimes throws a curve ball but thanks. Only done 115k and was such a lot more fun to drive than the replacement E240 I picked up.
Be a shame to scrap it...

well I guess life sometimes throws a curve ball but thanks. Only done 115k and was such a lot more fun to drive than the replacement E240 I picked up.

Dont scrap it all it needs is an engine :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's way before MB say the life expectancy is on the chain? I know sometimes these things happen but I'd be well miffed if mine let go this early.

Sorry mate, my ramblings don't help you do they. Don't scrap the car, go the replacement engine route and start to enjoy your car again.

As Nick said total replacement used engine around £700 - £750 fitted.

The chains fail early because people use the wrong oil, synthetic in a 230k of this age is not good, a semi syn is much better I bet somewhere in it's life it has had a mixture of the 2 that causes problems of this nature.

Iirc the chains aren't due until 250k.

As Nick said total replacement used engine around £700 - £750 fitted.

The chains fail early because people use the wrong oil, synthetic in a 230k of this age is not good, a semi syn is much better I bet somewhere in it's life it has had a mixture of the 2 that causes problems of this nature.

You may well be right it certainly threw its teddy out of the pram... possibly through the small hole left in the engine cover.

I have had quotes of £1200 to supply and fit a used engine hence this thread as it did seem a bit tall. The garage suggested its due to new chain, tensioner, guides, fluids, gaskets ...... the list went on. Checking Ebay, engines varied from £350-700 but I've no facilities for fitting myself.

At £700 ish it would be viable.

:eek:

You could hire an engine hoist, get a couple of mates round to help, you can do it :thumb:

I've got a running engine waiting to be removed from a 1998 clk 230. If your intrested, my email address is in my profile. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom