Hunt is officially on for a CLK55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBWC

Car
Lots
Hi All,

Just sold my TVR this evening :confused: so now officially looking for a facelifted W209 CLK55 AMG, so if anyone knows of a good'un for sale do let me know :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
W209 Chris (any year as long as its a facelift :) ) Which I believe is late 2004.

Excellent choice of Mercedes.

Are you looking at coupes or cabriolets?

Im not 100% convinced either way to be honest, so looking at both :thumb:

Im not new to Mercedes ownership at the ripe old age of 25 I own a W124 E280 sportline and also owned a ML270 a few years ago (ish I'd never sold it actually!)

Last edited:
Im not 100% convinced either way to be honest, so looking at both :thumb:

Im not new to Mercedes ownership at the ripe old age of 25 I own a W124 E280 sportline and also owned a ML270 a few years ago (ish I'd never sold it actually!)

Unless you're a 'spirited' driver, I'd go for the cabriolet.

Just imagine; it's a hot sunny day and you've got the hood down listening to that V8 rumbling away....:rock:

Unless you're a 'spirited' driver, I'd go for the cabriolet.

Just imagine; it's a hot sunny day and you've got the hood down listening to that V8 rumbling away....:rock:

Thats exactly what im thinking, I do like a bit of top down motoring, about the same as I adore those quad exhausts on the coupe (around and around I go lol)

Thats exactly what im thinking, I do like a bit of top down motoring, about the same as I adore those quad exhausts on the coupe (around and around I go lol)

The W209 CLK55 has twin tailpipes, not quad. Not unless someone has modified it.

The W209 CLK63 has quads.

CLK55 has 362 BHP later CLK500's had 383 BHP + another 50 lb foot of torques..

:eek:
IIRC

I had a 54 plate CLK55 Cab prior to my 911... Black with black leather... Lovely loaded with bits car.. Quickish... I deleted the centre box and it sounded gorgeous... Also added CLK63 paddle steering wheel with CLK63 wheels.... The facelift was better built with the later command, however my roof let water in on the passenger side... I changed all rubbers/seals, had it all adjusted, lubricated etc etc and it still did it.... Another thing that really did my head in was the behind dashboard stepper motors.... I had my dash out once to fix 2 at a considerable expense.... When I sold it, it needed another doing....
Also if it's missing any of the seat switches, they are normally found under the seat as they fall off... I glued all mine on in the end...

So all I say is choose wisely.... Awesome car, sounds fantastic, proper 4 seater.... Reasonable(ish) boot...

I had a 54 plate CLK55 Cab prior to my 911... Black with black leather... Lovely loaded with bits car.. Quickish... I deleted the centre box and it sounded gorgeous... Also added CLK63 paddle steering wheel with CLK63 wheels.... The facelift was better built with the later command, however my roof let water in on the passenger side... I changed all rubbers/seals, had it all adjusted, lubricated etc etc and it still did it.... Another thing that really did my head in was the behind dashboard stepper motors.... I had my dash out once to fix 2 at a considerable expense.... When I sold it, it needed another doing....
Also if it's missing any of the seat switches, they are normally found under the seat as they fall off... I glued all mine on in the end...

So all I say is choose wisely.... Awesome car, sounds fantastic, proper 4 seater.... Reasonable(ish) boot...

Thanks for this, really helpfull, tbh a 911 C2/C4 is niggling at the back of my mind as well as a possible next vehicle lol.

With regard to checking this possible fault what sould I look out for when looking at these? Ticking on startup? Any other giveaways?

CLK55 has 362 BHP later CLK500's had 383 BHP + another 50 lb foot of torques..

:eek:
IIRC

I beleive this is correct, however unless im mistaken the CLK500 hits 60mph in 5.2 seconds and the CLK55 does it in 4.9-5.0? (Book figures) plus the fact an AMG will surely depreciate slightly less, and feel more special :bannana:

What TVR did you have?, I had a Tuscan for a while and it was the most frustrating car I've owned, good luck with your search for a CLK though, great cars.

Yep that's correct... When you start up you will here a clicking from behind the dash... This issue affects all W203 and W209 series...
One other issue I had was a headrest motor... I just replaced mine whic is a very easy job... The headrest either gets stuck up or down normally.... It slowly gives up..
Other than these issues which all cars have their own issues, it was a great car and sometimes I wish I still had it as I miss the V8... However my X5 with modded exhaust continues to give me the sound :)

What TVR did you have?, I had a Tuscan for a while and it was the most frustrating car I've owned, good luck with your search for a CLK though, great cars.

4.0 Litre Tuscan Mk1. Reflex purple. Had it for just over a year, never went wrong once, absolutely phenomenal car. I fully intend to return to the TVR marque in a few years :)

Thanks for this, really helpfull, tbh a 911 C2/C4 is niggling at the back of my mind as well as a possible next vehicle lol.

With regard to checking this possible fault what sould I look out for when looking at these? Ticking on startup? Any other giveaways?

I beleive this is correct, however unless im mistaken the CLK500 hits 60mph in 5.2 seconds and the CLK55 does it in 4.9-5.0? (Book figures) plus the fact an AMG will surely depreciate slightly less, and feel more special :bannana:
^ Bear in mind the cabriolet will be at least a second slower 0-60 than the coupe.

The W209 CLK55 facelift coupe had quad exhausts added mate 100% :thumb:

Well you learn something new every day!

I can see now why you've got your work cut out finding one.:thumb:

4.0 Litre Tuscan Mk1. Reflex purple. Had it for just over a year, never went wrong once, absolutely phenomenal car. I fully intend to return to the TVR marque in a few years :)

I also had a mk1 Tuscan but in silver-Reflex Purple is the best colour for them, it was good when it worked but it was constantly having niggling problems with it, may sound weird but the E55 I had after it felt quicker, definatly when it was moving anyway but then it did have monsterous torque compared to the S6, personally I think TVRs look great still but wouldn't ever have another one,going to a 911 myself, good luck with the search for the CLK55 btw:thumb:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom