Hurricane Rita

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Well now, a Catagory Five heading for Texas. Scope for great human misery but closer to home there is only one way fuel prices are going to go now.

With many refinieries shutting down and the possibility of being damaged yet more refined fuel product will be sucked out of Europe.

Must say looking at this Satellite IR movie if I were in that part of the world would be on the run by now.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

I heard today that its something like 300 miles across.Just imagine if it hit the UK and went from top to bottom it could wipe the whole country off the map :crazy:

Unfortunately, its not just the onshore refineries which will get damaged but the Gulf of Mexico is stuffed full of oil rigs where the oil and gas comes ashore.

When a Hurricane comes they have to make the rig safe and then evacuate them, afterwards they go back to where they left them, and usually they aren't there anymore

Rig Zone interactive hurricane map

This site shows how Rita is already affecting oil and gas production...

hmmm, a Hybrid is suddenly looking quite attractive...

She is a nasty one alright. But put it into perspective we are talking about oil something which is going to run out anyway. Peoples lives are at risk here thats the issue.

Agree with Shaun, saw the pictures of the traffic jams, madness! those poor people!

Can't begin to imagine how worried and scared all those poor peole must be.
Apparently it's due to strike about 7.00am tomorrow morning. Mother nature is a poweful forced to be reckoned with!

I cannot even begin to appreciate the suffering these folks are going through. Just looking at the mile upon mile of traffic jams, and then thinking that each vehicle contains people fleeing their own homes and then having to find accomodation elsewhere?

Okay the footage shows Texas, but parts of Florida are being evacutated, yet we still have large companies advertising retirement, or holiday homes for sale. Thanks, but no thanks.

Without getting into a political debate, I find it frustrating how this hurricane is being dealt with when we compare it to the handling of the previous hurricane?

John

glojo said:
Without getting into a political debate, I find it frustrating how this hurricane is being dealt with when we compare it to the handling of the previous hurricane?

John

I know what you're saying John - but I don't think even GWB could ignore it again so close to the last one! But with the way they've happened, ie New Orleans hit first, who knows if the actions would have been any different had Katrina had taken Rita's path ;) .

clegsr said:
hmmm, a Hybrid is suddenly looking quite attractive...
Still dinosaur-powered though! Electric is the answer, say goodbye to the pumps forever.

..and how is electricity produced?

stats007 said:
..and how is electricity produced?

By the bucket load!!! Or of course those orrible windmills.

John the cheeky

Reactions: PJH
Thmsshaun said:
Wind, Solar, Hydro, Nuclear, Coal ;)
Exactly.

Firstly the powerstations produce surplus power at night which they have to store at expense, electric cars charging at night would reduce this problem :) .

Secondly as an electricity user you have the choice as to how it is generated, some people could have solar-garages so they have a 100% carbon-neutral car, wind-farms are a waste of time the only decent way to produce electricty right now is nuclear fission. If you have a fossil-fuel powered car then I'm afraid you basically have no choice where the fuel comes from; it all comes from the ground.

Thirdly which is easier to control the pollution of; a few power stations or 30 million vehicles? :)

Wind farms and solar are almost useless in comparison and certainly not viable for every household or community. This leads to either fossil fuels providing power or more nuclear power which you're either in favour or not. Personally I like the idea we buy electricity from France and let them produce it from fission :D

stats007 said:
Wind farms ... are almost useless in comparison

Bet the ones in Texas will be cranking out some serious Kw/h shortly :D

BTB 500 said:
Bet the ones in Texas will be cranking out some serious Kw/h shortly :D

I shouldnt do but that made me laugh :D

If only there was a way to harness the power. The same for lightning.

Thmsshaun said:
If only there was a way to harness the power. The same for lightning.

Isn't that what Dr Frankenstein tried to do :D :D

So why dont we get our power from it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom