Hybrid charging point at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deane x

Car
C350e S205 2016
It looks to me that putting in a quick charge point at home is a great idea if you are buying a plug in hybrid but if your like me and have a period house with no off road parking what's the best way to do it ? I park right out side my house so thought about running cable a cross path with a rubber non trip protector but if the goverment is going all green I wonder is council would put in charger on road side for me or would let me get one put there ,,what your thoughts ?

I can see that being a can of worms. I would imagine that the council would not be happy with anything being laid across a public footway, anti-trip cover or not, simply because of the public liability possibilities. As for putting one on the footway, near the road, they might go for it because of the need to be seen to be green. They may even be up for painting a designated parking box for your car. The problem would be if it was a public use charging point open to all. JMO.

It looks to me that putting in a quick charge point at home is a great idea if you are buying a plug in hybrid but if your like me and have a period house with no off road parking what's the best way to do it ? I park right out side my house so thought about running cable a cross path with a rubber non trip protector but if the goverment is going all green I wonder is council would put in charger on road side for me or would let me get one put there ,,what your thoughts ?

How is that going to work?
Do you all keep your same spots on street when you park?

I have considered a C350e state, but I am in the same position as you.
Spoke to the council and they said no to putting one on my wall and charging across the pavement and right on the street open it up to be a free for all and they wouldn't mark out a space for EV only.

Just can't see the point in it unless you have a charger on your drive or in your garage.

How is that going to work?
Do you all keep your same spots on street when you park?

I have considered a C350e state, but I am in the same position as you.
Spoke to the council and they said no to putting one on my wall and charging across the pavement and right on the street open it up to be a free for all and they wouldn't mark out a space for EV only.

Just can't see the point in it unless you have a charger on your drive or in your garage.
Diffrent councils may think Diffrent I will see what I can do. super market has fast charge and we are going to push work in to installing one

If you are thinking about getting the government grant to fund 75% of the install cost of a home charger you need to be aware of the following:-

Property Eligibility
10.In addition to being the registered keeper , leasing or have primary access to an electric vehicle you must have off street parking facilities
suitable for chargepoint installation (a survey prior to installation should be conducted by your installer).

If you do not have off street parking, your Local Authority may be able to help via a central Government grant to install recharging infrastructure. More details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...in-vehicles-a-guide-for-members-of-the-public

Source Document:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...charge-scheme-guidance-for-customers-2015.pdf

Theres nothing stopping you from purchasing the charge unit and getting a sparky to fit it though.

This is a good read with info - https://speakev.com/threads/no-driveway-charging.4132/

Last edited:
leave car at the supermarket, and use the free electricity money to pay for a cab back and forth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom