Hydro locked Vito.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anmarube

Car
Mercedes ML350 Grand Edition. Mercedes Vito 111. Westfield 2.0 Zetec.
Hi all, Been a long time but I now have a problem with my 2005 111 Vito. Stunning condition and 77K from new. Reg number is A9 WWX if this helps with identity of the engine.
It looks like the engine has locked up due to losing the water from the bottle and leaking into the engine. Was sitting in a car park waiting for a place to open with the engine running and heater on and I noticed the heater was cold. Thought no more other than to check the water when I got to work. I forgot to do this and when I jumped in the van it turned slightly then locked up and then just clicked as though the starter motor was stuck. Went a bought a new one next day and fitted it and it's still not turning over.
My question is what engine can I fit into my Vito and from what year. I don't want to go out and buy the wrong engine only to fit it and find it won't work in my van. I can only use 1 and a half hands at the moment due to surgery on my right hand so although I can get help from a friend I want to get it right first time.
Before the engine went kaput the flywheel was giving a little rattle now and again so that was the next to job on the list but then this happened. I can only see big bills ahead at the moment.
My appreciation for any advice received.

Russell

Hi all, Been a long time but I now have a problem with my 2005 111 Vito. Stunning condition and 77K from new. Reg number is A9 WWX if this helps with identity of the engine.
It looks like the engine has locked up due to losing the water from the bottle and leaking into the engine. Was sitting in a car park waiting for a place to open with the engine running and heater on and I noticed the heater was cold. Thought no more other than to check the water when I got to work. I forgot to do this and when I jumped in the van it turned slightly then locked up and then just clicked as though the starter motor was stuck. Went a bought a new one next day and fitted it and it's still not turning over.
My question is what engine can I fit into my Vito and from what year. I don't want to go out and buy the wrong engine only to fit it and find it won't work in my van. I can only use 1 and a half hands at the moment due to surgery on my right hand so although I can get help from a friend I want to get it right first time.
Before the engine went kaput the flywheel was giving a little rattle now and again so that was the next to job on the list but then this happened. I can only see big bills ahead at the moment.
My appreciation for any advice received.

Russell
I think you need to do a little more investigation before you condemn the engine as toast. There are a few reasons why an engine can lock up not all relating to hydrolocking, eg, your clutch/flywheel noise might be significant. Unless you are aware of significant and unidentified water loss, I'd be looking elsewhere at the moment. Unless....you have driven through deep water?

Ernie

I think you need to do a little more investigation before you condemn the engine as toast. There are a few reasons why an engine can lock up not all relating to hydrolocking, eg, your clutch/flywheel noise might be significant. Unless you are aware of significant and unidentified water loss, I'd be looking elsewhere at the moment. Unless....you have driven through deep water?

Ernie
Thanks for your reply Ernie,

No not driven through any water and it was dry on the day it happened. I also think maybe it might have something to do with flywheel.
When I replaced the starter motor it turned a little then stopped again. I am having the injectors out on Monday and going to try and turn engine over with them out to see if anything comes out. Does that sound like a plan? The engine did turn with a socket on the crank with the starter out. I just can't explain the loss of coolant which is pointing my head to possible head gasket and coolant in the cylinders. I think injectors out will point me in some direction.

No not driven through any water and it was dry on the day it happened. I also think maybe it might have something to do with flywheel.
When I replaced the starter motor it turned a little then stopped again. I am having the injectors out on Monday and going to try and turn engine over with them out to see if anything comes out. Does that sound like a plan? The engine did turn with a socket on the crank with the starter out. I just can't explain the loss of coolant which is pointing my head to possible head gasket and coolant in the cylinders. I think injectors out will point me in some direction.
Yes, it would be a good start to have the injectors out and try to turn the engine over. If you have (or can get a hold of) a probe to have a look down into the bores, that could also give further confirmation.

As regards your engine type, you should be able to get that from your logbook. Being a diesel, the engine number will begin with a 6, eg 651.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. Will update as I go along.

Very much appreciated.

Russell.

The engine did turn with a socket on the crank with the starter out.
Did it feel the same CW and ACW? If there is something snagging at the flywheel and/or hydrolocked it should feel different between CW and ACW.
I just can't explain the loss of coolant which is pointing my head to possible head gasket and coolant in the cylinders. I think injectors out will point me in some direction.
Rather than hydrolocked I'm more inclined towards a temporary heat seizure due to loss of coolant.

Maybe just no current to the starter motor? Seems a leap to just write the engine off!

I expect it to be the OM646.
Try removing the glow plugs. A length of narrow tube and syringe and you might be able to vacuum any cylinder content and inspect.

After further investigation this has turned out to be Head Gasket failure leaking coolant into the piston 3 and 4. Nothing bent in the block but having the head tested for flatness on Tuesday and go from there. Just an update in case anyone is looking for the same associated problems. On another note is there a recommendation for a quality head gasket set and what else would you replace whilst everything is apart and access is good. Engine has done 77K.

Cheers

Russell

Been a cast iron block it will be fine! make sure well cleaned up on gasket face and yes have the head skimmed could ask the machine shop when you drop it off about having the valves re-cut and lapped in
while its off,

Head going in tomorrow to Machine shop to be checked, Skimmed and valves re-cut and lapped. Replacing glow plugs whilst they are out, Anything else I should replace?
New clutch kit and Flywheel going in while access is good.
Timing Chain?
Water Pump ETC?

Russell.

Hi Anmarube, sounds good timing chain should be good for at least 100000M but all depends on if your keeping it? if so get it changed and ask the mechanics thats doing it to check all ancillaries water pump belt tensioners etc if they spin freely with no noise and smooth then let them go for a while longer,
good luck

Cheers Pal,

Yes decided water pump while it's so easy to get to now.

Will update on progress and thanks for the good luck. Been good so far as I thought the engine was toast to be honest so all a bonus from here on.

Russell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom