Hydrogen/Oxygen Engine Decarbonising - yay or nay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo420

Car
'95 W202 C180, '97 W208 CLK320, '06 W639 Viano, '13 GT86, '07 RX300, '09 W211 E230, '15 Jaguar XF
Good day everyone,

Just thought I'd start a discussion on this relatively new (to me at least) method of engine cleaning. I'm referring to the use of chemicals that's made up of mainly oxygen and hydrogen from my understanding, which is then fed by a machine into the engine via the fuel injector ports.

Now I've read discussions in other forums - pros are apparently some of the results are quite impressive... imagine a 20 year old car feeling like new again... however cons are people are claiming these chemicals will destroy/shorten the lifespans of internal engine seals, etc.

Anyone's tried this method before? Personally I am inclined to try it on my W202 C180 and W208 CLK320 but I am concerned if this would have any adverse affects on the internal seals or alu-silicon cylinder lining or any other stuff of that sort...

What do you guys think? Do feel free to post any opinions or comments!

If the engine has no problems then leave well alone.

There is a thread on here about an AMG 55 that went through one of these machines, which was Terraclean, and came out of it a lot worse.

I have a vision of lots of crusty bits being loosened off and then travelling around inside your engine looking for something to really bugger up.

If it ain't broke...

A chemical mix of Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Isn't that called water?

Or Hydrogen Peroxide!!!!! :eek::eek:

Isn't that called water?

I've done a water injection clean up on an old motorcycle engine and it does work but I grew less enthusiastic about the thought of steam cleaning the inside of the exhaust system on my car not to mention what it might do to a modern Cat. I wouldn't take the risk.

Thanks for your input guys!

So the general consensus around here is to avoid.... :thumb:

A local mech recommended me to do decarbonising on my C180 since the car has been sluggish as of late and got some misfiring issues (see my other thread), hence I'm considering this....

On a side note, just curious if anyone can suggest additives for injector/fuel system cleaning that are worth trying? I know the manual clearly states to avoid these kinds of treatments..... but I've somehow come across good reviews in one of the Benz forums regarding Lucas branded ones although they're quite a rare find, practically impossible where I'm from.

Isn't that called water?

LOL!!! :bannana::bannana:

Don't really know the actual contents of the cleaning agent though. Probably a trade secret. :dk:

Last edited:
If it's good enough for Ed China...:D

LOL!!! I dont know, tbh I usually believe Ed gives out sound advice... :rolleyes:

...but then with my mechanical knowledge (or lack of) anything that sounds logical I take it as good advice :dk:

On a side note, just curious if anyone can suggest additives for injector/fuel system cleaning that are worth trying? I know the manual clearly states to avoid these kinds of treatments..... but I've somehow come across good reviews in one of the Benz forums regarding Lucas branded ones although they're quite a rare find, practically impossible where I'm from.

Safest option IMHO is simply to run a couple of tanks of Shell V-Power through it.

Thanks for your input guys!

.....On a side note, just curious if anyone can suggest additives for injector/fuel system cleaning that are worth trying? I know the manual clearly states to avoid these kinds of treatments..... but I've somehow come across good reviews in one of the Benz forums regarding Lucas branded ones although they're quite a rare find, practically impossible where I'm from.

Many consider it snake oil but dosing petrol with TCW3 2 stroke oil in a ratio of 1:640 will clean your combustion chambers but it might take years if they are badly carboned up. Suggest you research it and form your own conclusion.

Isn't EC simply endorsing something that he makes money out of?

misfiring issues (see my other thread), hence I'm considering this....

Get the misfire sorted first and foremost. Then carry out an Italian tune up with plenty of fuel system cleaner in the tank, try Dipetane if you can get it. A motorway run at constant high rev's not necessarily high speed should help also I'd suggest you carry out misting the throttle body.

try "stanadyne", available from S&S diesel in Waltham chase, Southampton SO32 2LL,
TEL 01489 893834, it does work well.

I recommend crystal healing. Just put some big, fake, glass crystals under the bonnet, preferably something pyramidal and cemented upon the engine cover along the centre line of the car.

Alternatively, you could look for something which is non-corrosive and at the same time non-combustible that might just weave some magic without blogging up injectors along the way.

I don't wish to sound entirely cynical here. I remember the sight of my old man razzing his 105E Anglia up a hill with merely a gallon of juice in the tank plus half a tin of Redex that he found in the boot when he was putting the funnel away. It was in the days when it used to come in a tin, was rather more potent than nowadays and before they got all uppity about weapons of mass destruction. The bang was so loud it must have registered on the earthquake sensor network and when I took the head off there was a hole in #3 piston I could put my finger in.

If the engine has no problems then leave well alone.

There is a thread on here about an AMG 55 that went through one of these machines, which was Terraclean, and came out of it a lot worse.

Yes thats mine. Terraclean has ruined my 55K engine, Now in pieces in my garage.

I can see benefit in having the head Carbon cleaned by way of blasting. MRC in Banbury do it on RS Audis with great results.

Brown's Gas??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom