hypocrisy, children, tv, facepalm, youtube.....

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by guydewdney, Apr 15, 2016.

1. guydewdney

guydewdney MB Enthusiast

Car:
    906 Sprinter 313cdi
    my wife, who, luckily never frequents this forum, has some obsession with online tv. its on before she gets out of bed, and on, on the pillow, as she goes to sleep. every day.

she also says to our 5yr old son that he cant watch tv until after dinner (7 to 730pm with a bed time of 8ish pm) which i basically agree with....... until she has the feckkkkkking tv on her tablet. watching rubbish like 'house' or 'the good wife'.... sometimes during dinner. or looking at facepalm during dinner.

if i mention it, im shot down. 'its only 5 minutes'..... um, try 18 hours.....

tonight shes showering sprog, yet i can hear the tv upstairs from her tablet, but shes supposed to be showering sprog?

how can i tackle this? even the aupair has commented....its not healthy.

2. TKvS

TKvS Banned

Car:
    CLS
    Log the time she spends on TV..then ask for a discussion regarding it....and try to reach a compromise...if she's being unreasonable...grounds for divorce....tell her you didn't sign on to it and that she's no longer part of the solution...she's becoming the problem.

3. Druk

Druk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    What's the au-pair doing when the wife's upstairs watching tv?

:devil:

4. gbjeppm

gbjeppm MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    Block the internet to her device at the router :)

5. swannymere

swannymere Active Member

Car:
    1994 S124 E300d
    For the record House and The Good Wife are very good multi-award winning dramas but i take you're point.

6. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    Oh dear.

7. MancMike

MancMike New Member

Oh dear oh dear.
    [​IMG]

8. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    I go with block her at the router and claim no knowledge of what's gone wrong!

9. Tim203

Tim203 Active Member

10. Giantvanman

Giantvanman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    It is very easy to become engrossed in TV box sets…..almost like a good book in many ways.

Good communication is key to most situations, you will know your wife better than us. Pointing out what is happening in an amenable, non-confrontational fashion would be the ideal but if not, I wouldn't go down any path that could be seen to be vengeful, patronising or cause embarrassment which rules out 'high handed' tactics such as ceasing subscriptions or blocking web browser.

Take her somewhere nice for dinner and jokingly comment on nice it is to see her without an iPad glued to her and how nice it has been to have a conversation……it's the diplomatic approach. Good luck.

11. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    Good idea. But my Ex just took her iPad with her. She had the code for the wifi off the waiter faster than I had the first drink!

Sometimes when it's broken, it's beyond fixing.

12. KennyN

KennyN MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 440i Coupe
    Some people have trouble distinguishing between reality and REAL life , our kids (21 + 18) are terrible with social media and it seems to consume every waking minute , inc. their toilet breaks. Neither myself nor my wife have anything to do with it as I just don't see the point of it ,not for our lifestyle anyway.

I would get some actual time that she is on the device and put it to her straight and ask her if the rolls were reversed then would she find it acceptable, I don't think she would and it may let her see your point of view.

Failing the above then disable the router and tell her that you have done it. It may cause WW3 in the household, for a while, but it may bring things to a head.

If she still persists then have an affair with the au-pair and put a pic on social media :thumb:

Kenny

13. neilrr

neilrr MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various.
    Can't see that disabling the router is going to do anything other than eventually lead to a call out to the router repair man & then a huge row.

I have some sympathy for your wife as I too am an addict. I'm currently watching all of the Larry Sanders Show again online, up to S6E4. I watch a couple of episodes a day.

It's better than anything available on freeview!

Maybe she's finding what's on her screen more interesting / enjoyable than real life.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  14. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Vito
    it's a lil strange that the OP refers to his young son as 'sprog'

15. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    Just regional slang.

D'ye ken?

16. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Vito
    I'm a Manc lad.

'Nice one' :D

17. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    On my home network, I have set the router to give the children controlled access to the Web from their devices, likewise the Now TV box in the kitchen. My arguments are twofold, one it saves on data, as we are on a limited package, two it means they get access but in a controlled fashion at times that don't interfere with other things.

18. TKvS

TKvS Banned

Car:
    CLS
    Que ?

19. Druk

Druk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    sera, sera.

20. OP
    OP
    guydewdney

guydewdney MB Enthusiast

Car:
    906 Sprinter 313cdi
    t'other day, when it was 'that time of the month' she was in bed, crying. i was trying to be sympathetic, but her main complaint was 'its all too much' as she 'didnt have enouh time in the day to do all the things that needed to be done'....

i popped downstairs to make her a cup of tea, to return to find her on bloody facepalm...... um, if you don't have time, why do you waste so much time on the bloody pooter?

aupair bats for the other side, which is a pity as shes quite pretty , blonde, 20, german....

ive tried the 'routers broken' idea. she just watches stuff shes downloaded, or uses the phone.