hypocrisy, children, tv, facepalm, youtube.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
my wife, who, luckily never frequents this forum, has some obsession with online tv. its on before she gets out of bed, and on, on the pillow, as she goes to sleep. every day.

she also says to our 5yr old son that he cant watch tv until after dinner (7 to 730pm with a bed time of 8ish pm) which i basically agree with....... until she has the feckkkkkking tv on her tablet. watching rubbish like 'house' or 'the good wife'.... sometimes during dinner. or looking at facepalm during dinner.

if i mention it, im shot down. 'its only 5 minutes'..... um, try 18 hours.....

tonight shes showering sprog, yet i can hear the tv upstairs from her tablet, but shes supposed to be showering sprog?

how can i tackle this? even the aupair has commented....its not healthy.

Log the time she spends on TV..then ask for a discussion regarding it....and try to reach a compromise...if she's being unreasonable...grounds for divorce....tell her you didn't sign on to it and that she's no longer part of the solution...she's becoming the problem.

Block the internet to her device at the router :)

For the record House and The Good Wife are very good multi-award winning dramas but i take you're point.

Log the time she spends on TV..then ask for a discussion regarding it....and try to reach a compromise...if she's being unreasonable...grounds for divorce....tell her you didn't sign on to it and that she's no longer part of the solution...she's becoming the problem.

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.
chuckle-brothers.jpg

I go with block her at the router and claim no knowledge of what's gone wrong!

gbjeppm said:
Block the internet to her device at the router :)

Block her at the router sounds like a modern day equivalent of 'see her off at the pass'!

It is very easy to become engrossed in TV box sets…..almost like a good book in many ways.

Good communication is key to most situations, you will know your wife better than us. Pointing out what is happening in an amenable, non-confrontational fashion would be the ideal but if not, I wouldn't go down any path that could be seen to be vengeful, patronising or cause embarrassment which rules out 'high handed' tactics such as ceasing subscriptions or blocking web browser.

Take her somewhere nice for dinner and jokingly comment on nice it is to see her without an iPad glued to her and how nice it has been to have a conversation……it's the diplomatic approach. Good luck.

Giantvanman said:
It is very easy to become engrossed in TV box sets…..almost like a good book in many ways. Good communication is key to most situations, you will know your wife better than us. Pointing out what is happening in an amenable, non-confrontational fashion would be the ideal but if not, I wouldn't go down any path that could be seen to be vengeful, patronising or cause embarrassment which rules out 'high handed' tactics such as ceasing subscriptions or blocking web browser. Take her somewhere nice for dinner and jokingly comment on nice it is to see her without an iPad glued to her and how nice it has been to have a conversation……it's the diplomatic approach. Good luck.

Good idea. But my Ex just took her iPad with her. She had the code for the wifi off the waiter faster than I had the first drink!

Sometimes when it's broken, it's beyond fixing.

Some people have trouble distinguishing between reality and REAL life , our kids (21 + 18) are terrible with social media and it seems to consume every waking minute , inc. their toilet breaks. Neither myself nor my wife have anything to do with it as I just don't see the point of it ,not for our lifestyle anyway.

I would get some actual time that she is on the device and put it to her straight and ask her if the rolls were reversed then would she find it acceptable, I don't think she would and it may let her see your point of view.

Failing the above then disable the router and tell her that you have done it. It may cause WW3 in the household, for a while, but it may bring things to a head.

If she still persists then have an affair with the au-pair and put a pic on social media :thumb:

Kenny

Can't see that disabling the router is going to do anything other than eventually lead to a call out to the router repair man & then a huge row.

I have some sympathy for your wife as I too am an addict. I'm currently watching all of the Larry Sanders Show again online, up to S6E4. I watch a couple of episodes a day.

It's better than anything available on freeview!

Maybe she's finding what's on her screen more interesting / enjoyable than real life.

Last edited:
it's a lil strange that the OP refers to his young son as 'sprog'

it's a lil strange that the OP refers to his young son as 'sprog'

Just regional slang.

D'ye ken?

On my home network, I have set the router to give the children controlled access to the Web from their devices, likewise the Now TV box in the kitchen. My arguments are twofold, one it saves on data, as we are on a limited package, two it means they get access but in a controlled fashion at times that don't interfere with other things.

t'other day, when it was 'that time of the month' she was in bed, crying. i was trying to be sympathetic, but her main complaint was 'its all too much' as she 'didnt have enouh time in the day to do all the things that needed to be done'....

i popped downstairs to make her a cup of tea, to return to find her on bloody facepalm...... um, if you don't have time, why do you waste so much time on the bloody pooter?

aupair bats for the other side, which is a pity as shes quite pretty , blonde, 20, german....

ive tried the 'routers broken' idea. she just watches stuff shes downloaded, or uses the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom