Hypothetical transplant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Just thinking out loud. Say I wanted to install a 300TD turbo engine from a 210 into something completely different. I have the whole car so can use the g/box, wiring, ECU, propshaft et al.

Imagine the recipient car is effectively a bare shell.

What about needing the ignition switch, OVP relay or whatever from the donor? It's a pre '89 recipient so the cat/Lambda and EGR valve can go.

Anything else, and what complications might there be?

Here's a wee hint. ;) YouTube - olefejer's Channel

Ta.

Last edited:
what about engine and g-box mount locations?

Good question. I'm hoping that these will be interchangeable. The M606 is fitted into the 124 as is the M103 and 104 so the mounts, if not the same, will be gettable from Merc (or somewhere). And if not, I'm a dab hand with a stick welder and some 1/4" plate. ;)

Anybody know what the diff ratio is on a W210 300TD?

You might have to beef up the front springs and shocks for the greater?? engine weight.
To be honest a diesel engine into a petrol car is simply knocked for six by the economic advantages and simplicity of an after market LPG conversion which is the direction I would go. Unless your petrol engine is truly kn******d of course.

Would the fuel pump be different ?

Have a word with Ian Walker next Sunday. I know Ian is good at transplants.

Thanks John. Actually this will be the fifth transplant I've done...

in order..

BMC 1.5d into a Wolesley 1500

BMC 1.5d into a mk3 Ford Cortina

BMC 1.8d into a Morris Marina (Dont ask)

Ford Transit 2.5 direct injection into a Volvo 240. The best.:D

The mechanical side won't be too much bother I'm hoping but any pitfalls would be good to discuss before the event.

You might have to beef up the front springs and shocks for the greater?? engine weight.
To be honest a diesel engine into a petrol car is simply knocked for six by the economic advantages and simplicity of an after market LPG conversion which is the direction I would go. Unless your petrol engine is truly kn******d of course.

Cheers Graeme. As you can probably denote from the above answer: I'm a total dieselhead. I've considered LPG and in fact have a kit handy that would suit but the tank is a problem. The bare fact is that I hate the engine that's in the car. imho it would be better off in a Massey Ferguson.

AND! I'm looking for something to do. Other than planning all these holidays...I'm bored.

Disappointed. :(

Went to see the donor car today and although the engine sounded OK (other than one 'hard' sounding injector) it becomes obvious that this is maybe a bridge too far. Mainly cos of the 5speed gearbox and the almost impossibility of getting it to work. Seems it needs input from wheel speed sensors via the ABS to work. Mine doesn't have ABS.
Seller (who knows his stuff) also thought that if the diff ratio was wrong (likely) the box would signal a fault via the ECU and refuse to change up. I thought of maybe a pre-electronic box a-la 124 but that needs variable vacuum to change gear and the OM606 only has constant pumped vacuum for the servo. I've got a 5speed Getrag manual that would fit the engine but need a diesel flywheel which would cost more than the complete donor car.

Unless someone knows of a way to get the 5speed electronic box to work without speed sensor input?

I'm sure I know the recipient car - what about something more or less contemporary like a 300 diesel W123 as a donor ?

Possibly Dave Collins would have something kicking around ?

Although your car does not have ABS , could you fit an ABS diff and get a speed signal from the sensor , or fit a reluctor ring and ABS sensor to one of the front wheels ?

I'm sure I know the recipient car - what about something more or less contemporary like a 300 diesel W123 as a donor ?

Possibly Dave Collins would have something kicking around ?

I'm sure you do know the recipient car, the Mazonnis will be having kittens;). a W123 diesel engine wouldn't pull the skin off a rice puddin. I'm going to ask Dave about a flywheel. (if he's sobered up after Essen :crazy:)

Thanks Nick. The engine ECU wouldn't be a problem but gearbox/diff is a step too far. Also cost: I can get a decent engine from a red-oxide 210 300TD for less than a grand. Hows about if I went for a 24v 300D from a W124 mated to a 4speed and retro-fitted a turbo to the engine? Am I right in thinking that gearbox is fairly simple without ECU control (just vacuum) and wouldn't get itself concerned about diff ratios etc. I've got pics of a guy who put a 606 into a 129 and changed the injection pump from electronic to older manual which did away with all the canbus control. (see link first post)

Any thoughts?

Are these pumps easily uprated to deliver extra fuelling for a turbo? I used to work on boats with big Volvo diesels and the engineers would 'up' the pumps to cope with bigger props.

Last edited:
Are these pumps easily uprated to deliver extra fuelling for a turbo? I used to work on boats with big Volvo diesels and the engineers would 'up' the pumps to cope with bigger props.

The turbo is your biggest issue, it gets in the way of the steering box, hence no RHD 124 turbodiesels.

You might get away with fitting a box from a V6 R170 which was made smaller to allow the V6 fit, but it will be a squeeze...

The turbo would be on a custom manifold along the lines of the Turbo Technics W124 E320 conversion. Is the R170 box non-electronic? Available room isn't the problem, it's the control.

The turbo would be on a custom manifold along the lines of the Turbo Technics W124 E320 conversion. Is the R170 box non-electronic? Available room isn't the problem, it's the control.

I meant the steering box.

If you're keen to do it, the easy solution is to use a 4 speed box from a 124 with a 606 in it, the smallest steering box you can find so you can leave the turbo stock and follow 129 mans example and use a mechanical fuel pump, thus your electricals problems are bypassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom