I’m looking at buying an E350 Convertible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GemanNut

Car
Audi A4 Avant
Hi team,

My first post, so go easy on me!

I’m looking at buying an E Class Convertible, with the 350 petrol engine, however I know very little about this model, or even Mercs as I have previously driven Audi’s for the last 15 years. However, I fancy a change, and something, well, different.

So, can anyone shed any light on things to look for, and what are the must have specifications? I have a budget of around £10,000 which looks to be getting me in a 2010 model with around 60k miles.

Finally, if anyone wants brows the classifieds and suggest any cars for sale I would really appreciate your guidance.

Thank you all!

Hi, and welcome :). Whatever car you find, do post a link up on here as it could save you a lot of heart ache! The 350 petrol has share of engine issues (engines within a certain number range) which is well documented.

I almost bought a CLS 350 (petrol) a few months ago as I really didn't want the diesel variant and couldn't justify the only alternative petrol variant (CLS 63), but having actually found one, it was within the affected number range :(

Ended up with a diesel version and don't regret it.

Not sure I would want a diesel engine in a convertible though, but that's just personal preference.

Someone with more knowledge than me will no doubt be along shortly to assist you. :)

Have you considered financing a new one? My E350 convertible with EQ boost is an awesome vehicle...

Attachments

• 72E8E4CA-F547-4825-962A-66CE5E51CBDE.jpeg
    72E8E4CA-F547-4825-962A-66CE5E51CBDE.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 13
Are you set on the 350?

There are a few 200's and some 250's around....
The sound won't be the same, but they do still do a decent job, esp the 250 in terms of torque
You are buying at the high point of the year, so prices will be high and negotiation will be tough

I have the 350 petrol coupe, later engine with better mpg, lower emissions and tax (its a completely different engine) and its great.
All the usual convertible checks apply to roof mech, condition of roof, micro switches alongside the usual E class checks on service history, ATF and even sat nav maps being up to date (presuming it has Comand)
Space in the back is okay, access is 'okay' just, and the doors are big and wide when opening.
For me 18" wheels are as high as you can go on our roads (and the convertible is heavier so heavier on suspension) but some fit 19s......

Where abouts are you in Dorset - you'll probably have to travel, so how far is too far?

Hi all, quick update, I’ve had lots on and never got round to buying an E350 Cab, but I’m now car-less and looking to buy a replacement. Budget is 10k, as before and I’m looking for a nice V6 Petrol Convertible. So please do let me know if you know of any good ones!

couple of questions:
1. How are they with 85k - 95k miles?
2. Can someone explain the trim spec, I’m looking for a sport styling...

thank you!

Looks nice

What's the MOT history on the car (dealer should be able to give you that or at least the reg number for you to check yourself)

It's done a few miles, but these are generally unstressed engines, so if serviced on time / each year with a dollop of maintenance, they should be good.

ATF change at 5 years / 50k would be good to see, it looks like black artico or leather (what condition) and as its the 350 I'd expect it well spec'd with heated seats and Comand sat nav (are the maps upto date)

It is the M272 not M276 engine so someone on her, if you can share the VIN will be able to advise if its in the potential 'trouble' range, although it's probably fine given the miles and years it's done, as into if it was going to fail it would have.

Wind deflector are a must for these (nice if it comes with it-not an issue if it doesn't), and check the hood works with no tears.

Where do you live for a good indo to be recommended if you do take the plunge.
A good time to buy.......

Actually, now seen all the photos and it is well spec'd
Memory speaks, HK audio, DAB, (will need a firmware update for BT streaming music I think) and that might be real leather.

For under £9.5k, it does have a few miles, but if the history stands up, then I see it as a good buy

Good luck......
Let us know

Well as already posted these engines are not a problem with miles under the bonnet,it depends just how much driving you are going to do,wait a couple of months with snow on the ground and soft top prices nudge down a little,if you need a car now then the one posted is not bad.

Seems very nice, its got air scarf, reverse camera, electric heated seats and Harmon Kardon, so all the upgrades. Need to check if the transmission oil has been changed in the full service history. Check also the MOT history online if you can get the reg number from the dealer, see if any advisories mentioned.

Actually, now seen all the photos and it is well spec'd
Memory speaks, HK audio, DAB, (will need a firmware update for BT streaming music I think) and that might be real leather.

For under £9.5k, it does have a few miles, but if the history stands up, then I see it as a good buy

Good luck......
Let us know
Doesn’t the ad mention artico?

So, the gearbox has never been serviced. The car has full service history, however the book doesn’t have all the stamps, however these are supported by invoices.

The Reg is: RV10LHP
Vin: WDD2074572F038922

I would appreciate any further input on the car.
The only issue I have is the e class alloys are very drab, while I like my cars OEM - are they any other MERC alloys people fit to these to make them look a little sportier? AMG or turbine style?

I like it a lot and it’s in our price range but for me the mileage is too high.

2010,11 and 12 plate petrol convertibles are extremely thin on the ground

I like it a lot and it’s in our price range but for me the mileage is too high.

2010,11 and 12 plate petrol convertibles are extremely thin on the ground
Yes, that’s the only sticking point. Really, I would like to be buying around 70 - 80k miles!

The engine is just outside the range for balancer shaft issues, the only engine faults with these are camshaft position sensors, and variable intake manifolds (plastic actuators break off). Not expensive to fix but a mild inconvenience.

Well specced car that is.

Attachments

• WDD2074572F038922.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 3
The engine is just outside the range for balancer shaft issues, the only engine faults with these are camshaft position sensors, and variable intake manifolds (plastic actuators break off). Not expensive to fix but a mild inconvenience.

Well specced car that is.
Great, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom