I’m lucky because

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that where they film Bangers and Cash?
That’s Mathewsons in Thornton Le Dale in Gods own. About a 25 mins drive/ride from me. I pass pretty regularly to have a browse of the stock. Well worth a visit. Although the museum bit is closed at present ’cos of covid.

That’s Mathewsons in Thornton Le Dale in Gods own. About a 25 mins drive/ride from me. I pass pretty regularly to have a browse of the stock. Well worth a visit. Although the museum bit is closed at present ’cos of covid.
I watch it quite a lot and the edition last night showed aerial footage of some Yorkshire countryside and villages that looked lovely.

Roight.
This is outside my front door - just across the road, and taken from the end of my back garden.
Taken yesterday, a small village near Rugby.

Also heavy traffic going through the village.

Disadvantages, no shops and the nearest pub is in the next village 🥵

Attachments

• 55A18716-3E18-4A03-8B77-9745C9458C4F.jpeg
    55A18716-3E18-4A03-8B77-9745C9458C4F.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 5F9DDD85-36AF-491C-85C5-53204BF60C64.jpeg
    5F9DDD85-36AF-491C-85C5-53204BF60C64.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 697497D3-E150-4855-BD21-9A9F8A702D34.jpeg
    697497D3-E150-4855-BD21-9A9F8A702D34.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 12
Derek Mathewson and his family are just like that in real life too, real characters. He has a few lock ups around the area with some absolute gems tucked away.
He has a pub too called The Moorcock in Langdale End, it’s a step back in time but he only opens as and when.
Yes a beautiful part of the world for sure.

Derek Mathewson and his family are just like that in real life too, real characters. He has a few lock ups around the area with some absolute gems tucked away.
He has a pub too called The Moorcock in Langdale End, it’s a step back in time but he only opens as and when.
Yes a beautiful part of the world for sure.
He’s got a good life up there and he’s done well for a Luton Boy.

The pub he owns looks great.

Where are you, Chugg? I used to live in Scarborough (originally from West Yorks) and the boss lived in Brompton. I did the 1981 census for the Council and the patch covered the Dalby Forest and its environs, including Langdale End. I seem to recall (old memory, though!) that there wasn't so much a pub as someone serving beer in a private house?

Had a Citroen Dyane in those days (please don't tell!) and the kids loved it when we went out chasing up the late returns and scooting along the forest trails. The little car was actually a hoot there.

We also have a Tesco, Asda etc (lol) - but it's a sad reflection on modern society that some need to use food banks in 2022. Like many seaside towns, Southport has many families living in poverty - over the years, quite a lot of former guest houses have been converted to bed-sits.

I'm sure it didn't look like that when I used to visit in the early 80s!

When the sun comes out, the Marine Lake area is really lovely - we were especially grateful for this during the first lockdown when we were only allowed out once a day for exercise... there have been quite a few recent improvements to this area, and more are imminent.

Where are you, Chugg? I used to live in Scarborough (originally from West Yorks) and the boss lived in Brompton. I did the 1981 census for the Council and the patch covered the Dalby Forest and its environs, including Langdale End. I seem to recall (old memory, though!) that there wasn't so much a pub as someone serving beer in a private house?

Had a Citroen Dyane in those days (please don't tell!) and the kids loved it when we went out chasing up the late returns and scooting along the forest trails. The little car was actually a hoot
Hi Swotty, I’m on the south cliff of sunny Scarbados. I know Brompton well, very pretty village. Did you ever sample the food at Glaves butchers in Brompton? Sublime. Their pork pies are phenomenal, as are all their food to be fair.

Yes The Moorcock is as real a Publiic House as you get, just having a beer in the parlour of a modest stone country cottage, but did get a bit more ‘pub’ like in the 90’s, but still had the original character. The bar is just an oak board plank about 2 foot long on a hatch from the kitchen:1641252839513.jpeg

Funnily enough, my mum had a few 2CV’s and a Dyane when me and my two brothers were nippers in the 80’s, and we too loved a blast through Troutsdale, Hackness, Langdale End, Silpho, Harwood Dale, Dalby etc., better when dad was behind the wheel though! He even got some stick on bullet holes to do the yellow 2CV up to look like the James Bond one out of For Your Eyes Only, and we’d ask him to go fast round the corners so it felt like it was going to tip over! He duly obliged. The only SRS system then was my dad putting his left arm out and pushing my back as I lurched forward between the front seats when braking (I was the youngest so always had to go in the middle!).

It was even better when we went out in one of his cars, like the Opel Manta GTE and he would give it some pasty and steer with the rear, just like we were in one of the Lombard rally’s through Dalby.

Good times!

I’m enjoying this thread (thanks @Darrell), some really nice pictures.
Here’s mine.

At the end of the street by day:
2E78AD9F-0760-4283-88E8-F4601B2A9C86.jpeg

And by night:
E7A7D6C6-4DA3-4767-B413-28248B60FE4B.jpeg

Couple of sunsets from my bedroom window:
9DBAD25F-2463-42E9-94A2-9754D5E9775E.jpegD7C63F76-58B2-4158-93FE-6A74A5C7E00C.jpeg

And a sunrise from down the beach:
5CCC4B19-AE65-442A-A3FC-122E7E9AE283.png

Hi Swotty, I’m on the south cliff of sunny Scarbados. I know Brompton well, very pretty village. Did you ever sample the food at Glaves butchers in Brompton? Sublime. Their pork pies are phenomenal, as are all their food to be fair.

Yes The Moorcock is as real a Publiic House as you get, just having a beer in the parlour of a modest stone country cottage, but did get a bit more ‘pub’ like in the 90’s, but still had the original character. The bar is just an oak board plank about 2 foot long on a hatch from the kitchen:View attachment 122409

Funnily enough, my mum had a few 2CV’s and a Dyane when me and my two brothers were nippers in the 80’s, and we too loved a blast through Troutsdale, Hackness, Langdale End, Silpho, Harwood Dale, Dalby etc., better when dad was behind the wheel though! He even got some stick on bullet holes to do the yellow 2CV up to look like the James Bond one out of For Your Eyes Only, and we’d ask him to go fast round the corners so it felt like it was going to tip over! He duly obliged. The only SRS system then was my dad putting his left arm out and pushing my back as I lurched forward between the front seats when braking (I was the youngest so always had to go in the middle!).

It was even better when we went out in one of his cars, like the Opel Manta GTE and he would give it some pasty and steer with the rear, just like we were in one of the Lombard rally’s through Dalby.

Good times!
Thanks Chugg - yes, that's where we went on the census trips - lovely experience. Stopped off at one farm (sorry, can't remember which) and a call from within from the farmer's wife to enter. went into the kitchen and she was bottle feeding a new born lamb. The kids were awestruck and didn't want to leave.

Never went to the butchers in Brompton, I'm afraid. We lived in Staxton, on the new estate built there in 1979.

Where are you on the South Cliff ... Filey Road?

Awesome pics by the way! I still look at places for sale in Scarbados ... Mrs Swotty isn't happy out here and wants to move back to Blighty before we pop our clogs. She loves Yorkshire ..... as only an East Ender can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom