I’m too soft?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobertWSaunders

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 S205 C220d Sport Premium Plus
Hey everyone! I used to post on this forum many moons ago under a different name but I think it died :rolleyes:

Anyway I’m back! And I do have a query...

I have a late 2018 S205 C220d Sport PP which I rather enjoy and it’s a nice return to Mercedes ownership having recently had a few Fords and until a few months ago a BMW F31 320d M Sport

I’m finding this S205 Sport a little less sharp on the road than I’d prefer eg when tackling a bend. Perhaps mistakenly, I thought the Sport would have slighter firmer suspension than it actually has but I do wonder if the main issue is actually the rims & tyres. It’s a whole lot squishy compared to the BMW which had a way firmer ride (and way lower profile tyres) and the BMW was certainly more enjoyable to hoon about in

Should I perhaps be looking at a different wheel/tyre combo first to make the ride a little firmer before I get too worried, or am I simply buggered as I should have got the AMG Line trim in lieu of the Sport?

The car currently has 225/50 17s front & rear. The BMW was 19s and runflats of course 😐

Hi and welcome back. TBH going from a BMW with runflats on 19 inch wheels to a C class on 17's will always feel very different.

You might have answered you own question as to whether you have bought the right car , a 190 (ish) bhp diesel weighing over 2100 Kg is never going to set your driving world on fire.

I have no doubt that your car rides just as MB intended it to , maybe it just doesn't suit you. You could post your VIN on here and see what suspension is fitted , I believe AMG line have the stiffer suspension, not sure about the 'sport' line. I also thought the sport had 18" wheels , I could be wrong...it has been known to happen ! 🙂

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome back!

You're absolutely right, I didn't really consider how much the 19" BMW RFs would impact the driving feel, but every day is a school day! I'm a bit choosy when it comes to ride quality, but then we all are I suppose! I don't like a very hard ride if you pardon the expression, but the BMW was slightly too firm. The MB is slightly too soft :rolleyes:

I'm also intrigued by the 17" wheels on my C220d Sport; when I looked online at current specs they certainly show 18". The current Dec 2019 brochure also identifies the suspension as AGILITY CONTROL *comfort* but simply lowered by 15mm... It seems I have Sport with SE wheels, but perhaps that was the way in 2018?

When checking the datacard via a VIN check it does list
R69Light-alloy wheel 5-spoke-design 17" all-round

Has your car got the optional air suspension?

Alas not!
677AVANTGARDE/standard suspension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom