I’ve had a heart sink moment reading the thread “Juddering Problem (53reg S320CDI Aut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petermansell

Car
C 250 CDI Coupe
I’ve just read the thread mentioned above and my heart sunk. I have a CLK55 AMG 2003 model and last week began to get the exact same symptoms as described.

When the car is changing gear it very softly judders before picking up revs and accelerating. Now the car is booked into Olly’s for next Tuesday anyway to have the gearbox oil changed and some other work done.

My question to all of you who know about this issue is this: I am due to cover 2000 miles in the car beginning May 31st – will the car make it with the oil change or is my trip no longer realistic?

I will PM Olly with the same question – but right now I am very :eek:

Hope its ok but whatever happens you are in very capable hands

Torque Converter? I had the same problem with my 2003 W220 CDI where it juddered when the TC locked up after a gear change.

STAR machine can disable the TC lock up function and then you go out for a brisk 30 minutes drive. If the judder goes away immediately and completely then it's definitely the TC.

A new TC cured my car's judder which was apparently quite common for that age - the central parts warehouse at Mercedes London told me that they always ordered them in so to have at least 3 in stock at any time :(

Thanks guys. Its booked into Olly's for first thing Tuesday and he's going to fit a new TC.

I had the same symptons and indeed worries in my E320 CDi, just got the ATF changed and the car is great...i hope your's is as simple a fix :thumb:

Was it the torque converter, or the glycol issue, or both, or neither?

Thanks

Richard

It was the torque convertor - no problems going home (although Olly is sending some oil off to test).

A job well done. :)

It's a good result Peter! I would do a ATF oil and filter change after about 15k once the TC is run in. How much did Olly charged you if you don't mind I ask? Also, did you have a Valeo or Berg radiator?

Mine was a Berg from day one and it was not a glyo issue. I guess I was just driving my car a little hard. Did get the engine and gear box mounts changed at the same time as the engine / gearbox was dropped so there was no reason not to change them at 125k.

Thanks for the tip about running the TC in. I wouldn't have thought of this.

I will PM you the charge because I am not sure about the etiquette around posting such things. Suffice to say I thought it very fair and reasonable. (Although watching Jack and Olly remove the gearbox was tense for me!)

I’m not sure whether the radiator is a Berg or Valeo – but the oil looked okay and Olly didn’t think there was any problem with it.

How would driving your car hard have an effect on the TC?:dk:

I guess every time the TC locks up it wears.

I have used mine on a trackday and on demonstration drives for people learning advanced driving (with the IAM) who want to see how to use automatic on country roads and dual carriageways. However, I drive briskly on National Speed Limit roads anyway and when down changing, I can feel the TC locking up and pulls the engine speed higher.

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a CLK55 - what mileage did this problem occur? How much to fix (new TC expensive?) - cost of parts / labour?

Is this common? Would more frequent ATF changes have helped, or just a power/wear and tear thing.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a CLK55 - what mileage did this problem occur? How much to fix (new TC expensive?) - cost of parts / labour?

Is this common? Would more frequent ATF changes have helped, or just a power/wear and tear thing.

Thanks

The TC on the S320 CDI was about £900 parts only but I believe it would be more heavy duty than the 6-cylinder petrol versions.

I think TC replacement is quite common because the local Mercedes warehouse said they always keep 3 in stock so they must expect to replace quite a few of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom