I am AMG-less (No. 2)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
After Simon's post about selling his C63, I too am declaring myself now AMG-less again :(

But take note fellow Mercedes people.....I'm not Mercedes-less though as we still have our E350 CDi coupe (still going strong 6 months into ownership....heading for a record that!). I also think the AMG-less'ness will be temporarily as I feel an A45 AMG urge coming on to replace the E-Class with shortly :rolleyes:

I hinted in another thread that SLS ownership could be under threat and in all honesty, I'd been thinking about selling it a good few weeks ago following some, lets call them 'challenges' I've had using my SLS as a daily drive - without wishing to go into detail, mainly surrounding the 'appropriateness' of using it.

Most of which I couldn't legitimately disagree with so I knew that I essentially had the following choice's to make:

- keep the SLS and car share with the other half
- keep the SLS for weekends and buy something else for daily use
- sell the SLS and buy something else nice, but deemed more appropriate

I'd actually tried the first option for a few weeks and it was a PITA, especially when we both needed to be 150 miles apart on the same day. It was never a real option.

I also came ever so close to going for the second option, from considering a decent new car to a more shed-like option (yes DM, a Citroen XM 24v was nearly my daily drive...oh the horror!). In the end, I decided that we really didn't need or want a 3rd car for two of us, especially when one of them was just going to continue depreciating in my garage - hell, if something's going to cost me that much money, I want to get my full use out of it!

I have to admit too that the almost consistent niggles have chipped away at my enthusiasm for the car - really, some aspects of the car should have been better. You'll have noticed this by my lack of regular updates compared to previous AMG's - simply because I spent so much time p!ssed off with it or without it whilst it was in the dealer!

Gearbox Upgrade

Despite the potential sale of the SLS, I still progressed with taking it to Germany to have the gearbox upgrade done because I was a) curious as to what it would do......b) liked the road trip and......c) knew it would make my car unique, so, given the reasonable cost of the upgrade, I'd in all likelihood get my money back come sale time. And so it proved, because when I traded it in, the dealer found a trader who appeared to be interested in it as a result of (not in spite of) the gearbox and bid accordingly (certainly much better than what was being achieved from Mercedes dealers who had little interest in any aspect of it...they're just not interested in the SLS are they!).

The gearbox upgrade itself proved to be very effective, nearly fixing all the wrongs of the original software. Changes were smoother in C, faster in S+ and much improved in manual, with most of the delay between paddle shift and gear change eradicated. It was a monumental improvement and whilst still a little short of all other DCT's I've used (multiple gear changes still weren't quite as good as in other applications), had I been keeping the car I'd have been happy with the improvements.

Whats Next?

Anyway, last week I finally agreed a deal on a new car which is similarly crazy in terms of performance (probably more so if I'm honest) but is a lot more, lets say, subtle!

I was initially quite disturbed about my decision as the SLS was a dream car. In hindsight though, I feel sort of relieved - the constant issues I had with it (admittedly some as a result of my relentless pursuit of perfection as most owners would probably find no fault with it) meant I was always quite anxious at having something so expensive that I wasn't totally happy with. They say never meet your hero's and I think that applies here! It also may seem a short-stint in the SLS but it was nearly 6 months which for me is about average - the car just seemed to spend so much of that time in the dealer!

I do also often question whether my expetations are reasonable and if I'm ever really happy with how a car is made. Well, the E350 we have has been faultless since we've had it and the SLS's replacement is also almost a relief to drive for it's total lack of niggles. This is despite me having similarly high expectations of it because it's not that much cheaper than what the SLS cost me (albeit for a new car vs. the SLS used)

I narrowed my choice down to 3 or 4 options and one of which was a new SL63 AMG which I seriously considered - but I just can't gel with the looks and I'm not really a cabriolet person. Indeed, I was that unsure of my decision that I very nearly pulled out of the deal when I got to the dealer to collect the new car....not helped by the fact that I bought it totally blind, having never even seen one in the UK (it only entered my radar after seeing one in LA a few weeks ago and it looked very sharp out there!).

Anyway, the new car will win no prizes or fans on a Mercedes forum but for the record....it's a new BMW M6 :eek:

I'm frankly shocked that it's had a more positive response that I could've imagined from everyone that's seen it in the last week, which did soften the blow of selling the SLS somewhat. Indeed, I think nearly everyone prefers it to the SLS which to me is utter madness - sure, it's no doubt a better overall 'car' in many respects but I always deemed the SLS as a proper 'supercar', and

So, I do now have a much more 'ordinary' car, but one that's still got 560bhp, is an über-modern technical tour de force, it looks great, it's probably the nicest finished car I've had (the interior really is lush, and totally rattle free :)) and it's DCT gearbox really is a demonstration of how these 'boxes should operate. Saying all that, it's certainly no SLS for presence or noise or sheer drama but I'm a sucker for a big refined GT so this is probably about as good as it gets currently. It'll do for the next few months anyway :D

I won't expose you to the full Palmball review a BMW on a Mercedes forum unless you want it but heres a few pics for you guys to throw darts at ;)

P1090064_zps4adb6dcb.jpg

P1090070_zpsbab5e0bd.jpg

P1090072_zps8290e5df.jpg

P1090077_zps83562842.jpg

P1090079_zpsf25c9d8d.jpg

P1090081_zps92b2bda1.jpg

P1090092_zpse5d8fd84.jpg

P1090084_zps22b3415c.jpg

P1090102_zps2fd8e91a.jpg

P1090091_zps76786332.jpg

P1090090_zps1a7bd841.jpg

P1090089_zps0d3cf98d.jpg

P1090086_zps1fd735ec.jpg

P1090085_zpsf497c9d8.jpg

Last edited:
It's a real shame the SLS couldn't hack it. Good luck with the BMW.

Pity about the SLS. I am selling the C32 shortly on the same grounds. Not in the same league but hey.

It may be a BMW (I actually love BMWs's), but I say review away. The M6 is a car that any car enthusiast should love to hear about. I was looking at the M5 before I got mine, but the noise, as you well know with the 6.2 just drew me in.

So I for one would love to hear any thoughts you have on your frankly awesome GT car!

P. s. fantastic colour combination by the way.

So looking 3-4 months in to the future when you're bored with the M6, what next? :)

Here's a theory: You buy premium branded cars and expect a lot of them. They invariable let you down. Try a budget brand. Expect less of them and they may exceed your expectations. Clio Cup, Fiesta ST? Back to basics motoring.

Sorry to hear that, but the M6 is in a great colour - just those dodgy blue brakes and M badge in the front grille let it down ;)

Hope you didn't give the key back away with the SLS!

S

Lovely new motor! I read the thread on pistonheads as well. When you say the SLS spent a lot of time at dealers, what, apart from gearbox, was wrong with it? Must say, its outrageous that amg are not making the software available to upgrade all sls cars. Mercedes can really irritate at times

Great colour combination. BMW have always known how to finish off a car,

Yes a full report would be great.

Sad to hear that the SLS is gone, but I personally would like to hear of your thoughts on the M6.

Hey Andy :thumb:

You seem to have thought about things long and hard so I'm sure you've made the right decision.

M6 is lovely. Well done bud.

Lovely looking car. Although not completely won over by the design of the centre console and steering wheel (or the blue calipers as Simon said), the rest of the interior is lovely! Seats look really good, I have to say.

:thumb:

Last edited:
As always a very nice write up.

Nice choice of ordinary car :) as a replacement. I am not a fan of blue but that colour combo looks great.

As others have said give us a write up about the m6 i would be very interested to hear your views ofit.

J.

Noooooo not a BMW, can't stand them (had a few), but I respect your views on the SLS and your new choice, again commiserations on your loss, but I know you will soon be back in AMG ownership:thumb:

Good luck with the new car!

Last edited:
I know you have your reasons but for wow factor the SLS wins hands downs, sure the M6 will be quick, but its not 'special' in the SLS way? almost looks like a bigger 3 series yet the SLS is wow, kids poster car etc...

Looks very nice and hope you enjoy it.

Sorry to see the SLS has gone but your M6 is an absolute belter - best colour combination too. Had a play about in a new M5 which was oddly quite nice (not usually a fan of M cars) I'd consider a new 6er though.

I can vaguely remember some of Palmball's previous cars. IMHO the SLS followed by the Granturismo were the most special. I'm sure that the M6 will make a great daily drive, but foresee it being sold sooner rather than later.

I'd love to be on the same motoring buying journey :) Though I'd have tried a few classics as well myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom