I am AMG-less (No. 2)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I take it you still have a Merc, (wifes car) so as far as I am concerned you are still a member of the MB fraternity.
Please do bring the M6 to GTG.

I would definitely agree that from the inside it is quiet (although nicely helped along by the speakers :eek:) but on the outside, whilst still no SLS, I'd hardly call it quiet!

I guess it depends on what you prefer, but for me the 'whump' you describe on start up is the only aural delight you get that you can really hear. Even driving with the windows down you don't get to hear the exhaust much (with stereo off of course to eliminate the fake sound). You'll sure notice the sound of an F-Type if you go for one of those, they crackle and bark with the valves open. Wish the M6 was a little louder with the valves open. :(

Really interesting thread, and great to see a forum where posters don't trash other Marques by default like some other forums I can think of!

I've had my 2011 SLS for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it. It's my first ever Mercedes. I've been lucky enough to drive a lot of exotics, culminating in driving my brother's Lamborghini LP670SV around Italy in the Lamborghini 50th anniversary tour earlier this year. My previous weekend car that the SLS replaces is a Litchfield Nissan GTR with around 700bhp.

Why did I buy the SLS? Because I think it's utterly beautiful, and the sound is wonderful. It's interesting that Palmball's issues with it, quoting from a post above:-

Rattles, buzzing (particularly form the rear shelf area), creaky seat (took months to fix), poor audio system, droning noises (diagnosed to poor alignment and unevenly worn tyres)....like I said, all things that most people may put up with but I just couldn't. I actually got 99% of it to my satisfaction in the end but it's not good enough really on such an expensive car from a brand sold on it's build quality. Our E-Class coupe sounds more solid over bumps than the SLS ever did, the M6 is equally as good.

.....are issues that, whilst undoubtedly true, really don't bother me at all! Compared with my experience of GTRs, Lamborghini's and Ferrari's, the droning noises and patchy build quality of the SLS are negligible. It seems to me that the more you spend on a car, the better the "good" bits get and the worse the "to be expected" bits get! I also seem to be lucky in that the tyre wear on my car is even - the tracking appears to be spot on. The dual clutch gearbox software is pretty bad, and thanks so much to Palmball for the really useful post about AMG being willing to replace the ECU and upgrade the software. it seems a bit over the top having to take the car to Germany for this, so I'm investigating what can be done by a top UK tuner like Iain Litchfield. After all, it's not a Mercedes home grown transmission. That said, maybe there won't turn out to be an option other than taking the car back to where it came from!

All in all, I'm just pleased there are so many great Marques out there. I think the particular M6 in this thread looks great, and I'm sure many "to be expected" capabilities will far exceed expectations on it. Trouble is, to me, it's just a tad "ordinary"....

Very nice, Congrats!

Lovely car - really like the sls

Very nice was tempted myself but as many others the AMG 'note' just drew me into the C63.

Excellent post palmball!

I see EK Civic :D I had a Civic EK4 before.... VTEC haha.

Yep VTEC....BUT with turbo! Fully forged engine too....

dashware_zpsdca94f41.png

1C0FEBA7-13D3-46F2-A2C7-38DF109CBC27-596-000000AFD2360281_zpsdfcebc09.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom