I am so damn confused!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Ok today in Stanmore, i saw a W124 E320 coupe on a T Reg??

Is this even possible???

Reg was T544 JVP

Can anyone shed any light on this?

was it just a car sitting in a yard that got sold much later on?

Were they even still produced then? I didnt think so..
:dk:

Just be a late reg car and as you guess prob standing around, maybe someone thought poss future classic.
I have seen a landrover and a capri in the same circumstances.

Lynall

T544 JVP

Cherished Transfer date 21 September 2000
Date of first registration 24 March 1999
Model Introduction date to UK 01 July 1993

sTeVe

Do we also have new Indian imports for that period? :)

This car was manufactured on 31/12/1995 but not registered until 24/03/1999!

I wonder why?...

Could have been bought from a private collection where some cars get away without being registered...

W124s are till being made in India... brand new with 5 miles on the clock around £6000 I believe. Saloons only though, manual and autos...E220.

The car in question could have been used abroad before coming to these shores and being FIRST REGISTERED in the UK in 1999 . I think it can take the year of registration it arrives in this country , even if previously used abroad .

My 1957 car has a 1964 'B' registration for this reason .

The above is correct.

My uncles 91' 500E is registered on an "M" plate as it came over in 95.

that is correct, my friend has an R reg W124 coupe, it got the plate from the year it was imported to the UK

So this bit about not making cars look newer than they really are for personalised plates is really a load of?:dk:

W124s are till being made in India... brand new with 5 miles on the clock around £6000 I believe. Saloons only though, manual and autos...E220.

they are not still getting made.

"Introduced to the world first in 1984, it was only in 1995 that India was introduced to the W124 series in form of the E220 petrol and E250D diesel models when Tata Motors and Mercedes-Benz started building and selling them under a joint venture.
The W124 never took off in India because it was launched just before it was replaced in Europe by the newer W210. This made the W124 a generation old and instantly outdated, which didn’t go down well with its snooty customers who wanted the latest. It is for this reason that Mercedes-Benz was forced to replace the W124 with the W210 a mere three years after production began in India. In a short production run that ended in 1998, just 2,465 cars were sold in the Indian market. In contrast, the W124 proved to be one of the most successful models in Merc’s history. In fact so good was the car that Mercedes sold its platform to Ssangyong and the car is still built and sold in Korea under licence as the ‘Ssangyong President’. Engine 4-cylinder, in-line 2199cc"

Sorry...didnt mean still being made but there are some new condition "unused" ones around in India. A relative just purchased one from a dealer in Mumbai who sold a few with only 5 miles on the clock. They came in White (popular colour in India) and also Blue/Black Metallic (as I had one).

Im not sure how old that statement is from AUTOCAR INDIA but im guessing by now they might have stopped making them in Korea too.

On a related note, I remember reading about a main Jaguar dealer in Manhattan taking delivery of one of the very last E Types back in 1975. That car remained as a showroom display car for almost 25 years during which time it was never registered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom