I blame E55BOF I bought an Alfa 166 3.0 unseen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Sorry E55BOF but your influence is spreading :D

One of our regular vineyard customers came in today to pick up his Christmas order every time I see him I ask how the Alfa 166 languishing on his drive is doing. This time he said it has to go by Christmas (eviction notice from the household authority) so I found myself saying i'll have it and so I have acquired it for the princely sum of £0 as long as once it is mot'ed he gets the personal plate back.

mileage is sub 100,000, needs a new steering rack, cambelt, water pump and all the fluids changing as a start. It could be a fun project or a money pit but I just love the sound of the alfa 3.0.

Now to tell the wife....

The most expensive car I've ever owned cost me £0.

My money's on money pit!

166 is a lovely car parts are cheap and engine sounds glorious.

Hop over to the Alfa forum not on it myself but a few on here are quite a friendly and knowledgeable bunch by all accounts

Good luck and nice Christmas prezzie

Lovely, fingers crossed may not be too bad.

I suspect you'll be sleeping in the garage over Xmas so no excuses for not cracking on with it!

Nick Froome

Don't blame you. Friend had one and it was such a nice looking and sounding car.

What could possibly go wrong?! :dk: :eek:

I've got a Stag here that needs a home - once described by New Zealand Classic Car Magazine as a "Dnam fine car"...

Last edited:
As per Flango's advice, get on an Alfa forum first. Also I'd strongly advocate getting car checked over by someone that knows them before spending a cent.

Otherwise wishing you luck with the nicest six pot ever imo. Hope it's not an auto?

The space problem appeared because the engine was intended for RWD and a transaxle, in the 75 (oh, how I miss mine) you could stand in the yawning chasm between engine and radiator.

Put it sideways in a FWD car attached to a gearbox, and suddenly the cambelt housing is rammed up against the suspension turret.

I'm very jealous, I sold my V6 GTV earlier this year and I still miss the engine note. I very nearly had a 166 about ten years ago, even had a deposit down on one, but pulled out at the last minute, I have never stopped regretting not owning one. Don't let the silly comments about oil-leaks and dodgy electrics get to you, these are ill informed Clarkson fueled exagerations. Get over to alfaowner and you will find a wealth of info to help you keep her on the road. (By the way the job of replacing the rear shock absorbers apparently makes the cam belt change look like a walk in the park!!)

Edit, I didn't tell the wife when I bought the GTV. She soon noticed though as I did it on her ebay account.

Last edited:
Very nice! Always fancied a 166. I'm also an ex Alfa owner, having owned a GT JTD prior to my 190. Unfortunately it had been neglected by the previous owner and the dealer I bought from was everything but honest. In the year I owned it I fitted a new Xenon ballast (£300!), new arms top and bottom at the front, all new ball joints, fitted ARB polybushes, rear suspension, discs and pads all round + reconditioned the calipers, sorted the rust, new downpipe and front flexi pipe, new timing belt + water pump and tyres all round. Even though I done all of my own repairs, it was an expensive car to own...but I love every minute of it. It was gorgeous to look at, comfy, plenty mid range punch (remapped 1.9) and just generally felt like an occasion every time I drove it. And even though I spent a lot of money on maintenance, it was a very reliable car, never once let me down so as said above, don't let all of the Alfa reliability rumours put you off.

The space problem appeared because the engine was intended for RWD and a transaxle, in the 75 (oh, how I miss mine) you could stand in the yawning chasm between engine and radiator.

Put it sideways in a FWD car attached to a gearbox, and suddenly the cambelt housing is rammed up against the suspension turret.

I also had a 75 3.0 loved it but sadly sold it on, the star trek enterprise handbrake and the little set of Christmas lights that masqueraded as Alfa Romeo Control (ARC) so wonderfully quirky.

A sad outcome to this little diversion, final job was to fit a new alternator which burst into flames under 1 minute after starting the car, wiring loom is now shot so off to the scrapyard she goes and i'm sorting the vendor legally for selling duff product.

Ah balls. That's a shame. Is there no benefit in parting out the good bits before it goes to the scrap yard?

Sorry to hear that.... I suppose it's no consolation that you did nothing wrong. Better luck next project.

I believe folks making Lancia Stratos replicas like alfa v6 engines, if I can move the principal components on I will probably do so.

What to do for the next project though?......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom