I did an E63 track test drive! :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Owen009

Car
E63S AMG
I really am my own worst enemy when it comes to cars. After 8 months in with my C63 Coupe (ppp) - I'm now after something with a little more grunt. After coming from a GTR, it kind of set a bench mark. I wasn't expecting the C63 to perform like the GTR but as each day goes by, I realise now that I really miss that x-factor. Don't get me wrong, the C63 is very very fast/awesome sounding car, it's just that the GTR is purely a weapon of mass destruction. I do like Mercedes and feel there is more to explore without going to another make just yet. Soooo whats next? I love the SLS but I love my tackle more, as my partner would absolutely annihilate me if I spent that much money. Anyways, I contacted Stan at MBW (Awesome guy) and he arranged for me to take an E63 out on their track :thumb: . So that's where I was this afternoon. ALL I can say is WHAT a COMPLETE MONSTER of a car. I knew it would be quicker than the C63 but the way that thing handles for such a heavy car, it's VERY well planted and I think this will satisfy my driving needs
devil.gif
. SO I'm pretty much sold...only few little niggles, it doesn't have as much presence as my C63 has, looks a little normal, until you look at the back of it and that damn clock on the dash!?!?!
crazy.gif
It looks like something my Grandad had on his wrist back in the 70's :( am I being too picky? lol

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has the new E63, if they could give me any pointers/likes/dislikes etc... I'd be very grateful. :) If not .. well... then that's cool too. :thumb:

Owen

p.s - Something I learned today from the guy who was with me in the E63. As well as the E class having it...the C63 also has the break stop/start feature.... FOR those of you that don't know what that is (which is probably only me) when you are stuck in traffic and your foot is on the break pedal, gently stab the pedal down further and you'll see a little 'hold' signal light up at the bottom of your speedometer which allows you to take your foot of the break without the car rolling forward on it's own. To release it, tap the break again or accelerate...I didn't know it had that feature ha! ...right - as you were ;-)

Why not just "tune/modify" the C63 and you could have another weapon.

Pop a Weistec supercharger on the C63 if you like the car but need more grunt. Whilst not cheap it will probably cost less than changing to a brand new car, so soon after buying a new car.

Of course if the car was purchased under finance agreement then there may be restrictions which prevent strapping great big superchargers on top of the engine! :D

E63 for me. :) Tried the C class a few years ago but found it too small, especially interior wise, and a bit "shouty".

The E is 550bhp in standard form, yet in normal mode drives like a standard everyday saloon car, good for pottering around town in and, as you say, almost invisible to the average driver. This is a feature I like as it draws practically no attention.

The Bi-Turbo engine is also very tuneable, from a basic plug in box giving nearly 100bhp extra which mine has, to massive turbos and mapping.

Don't know where you're based, but there's a bit of a get together down at MSL in Birmingham on the weekend 9 - 10 August. There's going to be lots of stuff there, including some highly tuned versions of both the C and E class.

Pop a Weistec supercharger on the C63 if you like the car but need more grunt. Whilst not cheap it will probably cost less than changing to a brand new car, so soon after buying a new car.

Of course if the car was purchased under finance agreement then there may be restrictions which prevent strapping great big superchargers on top of the engine! :D

True true. That is one option. I wonder, if doing that would have a negative out come on the value of the car when coming to sell. Or possibly positive? but something to look into. :)

True true. That is one option. I wonder, if doing that would have a negative out come on the value of the car when coming to sell. Or possibly positive? but something to look into. :)

It would be easy to take off and put back to stock.
You should get yourself to MSL for the Dyno weekend and see plenty of tuned c and e class beasts.:bannana:

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it - they really are a well appointed weapon.

I also think the clock is Driving Miss Daisy stylee :mad:.

The older style 5 dial set up is much more to my liking:

It would be easy to take off and put back to stock.
You should get yourself to MSL for the Dyno weekend and see plenty of tuned c and e class beasts.:bannana:

Do you know what I might do that before I make a decision because I've not really had a good look into doing this or talk to anyone that's had these mods done. So good idea.

E63 for me. :) Tried the C class a few years ago but found it too small, especially interior wise, and a bit "shouty".

The E is 550bhp in standard form, yet in normal mode drives like a standard everyday saloon car, good for pottering around town in and, as you say, almost invisible to the average driver. This is a feature I like as it draws practically no attention.

The Bi-Turbo engine is also very tuneable, from a basic plug in box giving nearly 100bhp extra which mine has, to massive turbos and mapping.

Don't know where you're based, but there's a bit of a get together down at MSL in Birmingham on the weekend 9 - 10 August. There's going to be lots of stuff there, including some highly tuned versions of both the C and E class.

I think the guy said that the one I was driving was 580hp...? did he get that wrong? or is this with PPP or something similar? I have to admit I loved the space. Something I would opt for on long journeys.

Yes, I'm in Brooklands Surrey and Brum is only an hour 30 from here so it would be easy to do. I've heard a lot of good things bout MSL. I may do this and have a natter with you guys :)

Standard E63 is 557bhp, E63S is around the 580 mark so it could have been the S. Red callipers on the S are the immediate giveaway.

Look forward to seeing you at MSL :)

Forgot to mention, the IWC clock is, in my eyes, a thing of beauty, as is the simplified and easy to read dash ;)

You won't be dissapointed if you pop up to MSL on the weekend of 9th/10th Aug
Once you sit in Lee's car and go for a quick blast down the strip......you'll be sold :)
Hopefully see you there

Standard E63 is 557bhp, E63S is around the 580 mark so it could have been the S. Red callipers on the S are the immediate giveaway.

Look forward to seeing you at MSL :)

Then it was the S as it did have red callipers. Cool. Will be good. Will put it in the diary. :)

You won't be dissapointed if you pop up to MSL on the weekend of 9th/10th Aug
Once you sit in Lee's car and go for a quick blast down the strip......you'll be sold :)
Hopefully see you there

Yes, thanks ChrisA I will do. A first time for me there so it will be good to see their work in action.

They're fitting a Weistec 3.0l supercharger to mine on the Friday 8th at MSL so should be up and running for the weekend fun :cool:

Owen009 said:
Then it was the S as it did have red callipers. Cool. Will be good. Will put it in the diary. :)

Red callipers are on option on any Merc at a cost. If it's an s it will have s under the amg badge on the rear. As mentioned on other threads save £10k get a std one and through a tuning box on it (plus some downpipes)

Red callipers are on option on any Merc at a cost. If it's an s it will have s under the amg badge on the rear. As mentioned on other threads save £10k get a std one and through a tuning box on it (plus some downpipes)

....or slap a Weistec blower on his C63 :thumb: :D

I really am my own worst enemy when it comes to cars. After 8 months in with my C63 Coupe (ppp) - I'm now after something with a little more grunt. After coming from a GTR, it kind of set a bench mark. I wasn't expecting the C63 to perform like the GTR but as each day goes by, I realise now that I really miss that x-factor. Don't get me wrong, the C63 is very very fast/awesome sounding car, it's just that the GTR is purely a weapon of mass destruction. I do like Mercedes and feel there is more to explore without going to another make just yet. Soooo whats next? I love the SLS but I love my tackle more, as my partner would absolutely annihilate me if I spent that much money. Anyways, I contacted Stan at MBW (Awesome guy) and he arranged for me to take an E63 out on their track :thumb: . So that's where I was this afternoon. ALL I can say is WHAT a COMPLETE MONSTER of a car. I knew it would be quicker than the C63 but the way that thing handles for such a heavy car, it's VERY well planted and I think this will satisfy my driving needs
devil.gif
. SO I'm pretty much sold...only few little niggles, it doesn't have as much presence as my C63 has, looks a little normal, until you look at the back of it and that damn clock on the dash!?!?!
crazy.gif
It looks like something my Grandad had on his wrist back in the 70's :( am I being too picky? lol

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has the new E63, if they could give me any pointers/likes/dislikes etc... I'd be very grateful. :) If not .. well... then that's cool too. :thumb:

Owen

p.s - Something I learned today from the guy who was with me in the E63. As well as the E class having it...the C63 also has the break stop/start feature.... FOR those of you that don't know what that is (which is probably only me) when you are stuck in traffic and your foot is on the break pedal, gently stab the pedal down further and you'll see a little 'hold' signal light up at the bottom of your speedometer which allows you to take your foot of the break without the car rolling forward on it's own. To release it, tap the break again or accelerate...I didn't know it had that feature ha! ...right - as you were ;-)

I am so shocked to hear you'd consider the merc over the GTR, they are so chalk and cheese. I say this even though Palmball within this forum, who has had nearly every car in the world in his time, reckons he would favour others over the GTR, :cool:. If your road driving, yes I can appreciate lots of things to take into account, given the merc's luxury pro's, but if on performance events, the GTR will crucify most cars even at stock, only discussed this matter over dinner with CSR and few other guys here last week, his GTR is stage 2 or 3 I believe, without great expense, he already has a CLK63 BS, a Carlsson SL55, a Ferrarri something, and two other cars, cannot recall those others in his garage, his absolute favourite drive though is the GTR , believe he said, 'its on a different planet' from his other cars, albeit he loves them as well, I can only dream on of ever owning a GTR:(

Red callipers are on option on any Merc at a cost. If it's an s it will have s under the amg badge on the rear.

Just checked the configurator as I wasn't 100%, but red callipers are showing as not available for the E63, same as you can't get silver ones on the E63S. I'm sure that they'd do them if it was a deal breaker though...

As mentioned on other threads save £10k get a std one and through a tuning box on it (plus some downpipes)

And don't forget a Quaife diff. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom