I don't get the whole automatic transmission thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
I just had a C250CDI Coupe courtesy car for a week which was near enough identical to mine, even down to the colour :)

The only difference was the automatic transmission instead of the manual one I have in my own car. Since I bought the car, I have always wondered if I had done the right thing not going for the automatic.
I have to say that I don't get it. The auto box is not very smooth and it is always chasing a gear like if it is never in the correct one. The padels in the steering wheel are useless, they don't do anything. If I press one while in D, it ignores me. IF I press Down, it goes into 'Manual' but then it takes a life time to respond to any shifts.
Then it is the fuel consumption. Mine does around 40-45mpg on the commute to work. Never seen more than 35 on the courtesy car with the Auto box. This is with the eco monitor telling me I have done 98% eco driving on the journey.

Maybe I am missing something but without a real manual mode, I don't get why people rave so much about it. I am sure somebody will tell me though. :D

For my daily grind, I love an auto and wouldn't change back. I find the 7g autos smooth, economical, and everything else you don't lol Must be a preference thing.

That said...I'm still a boy racer at heart and love a manual for track days or hanging the back out in my old saff cossie, but for traffic or trundling along on varying pace motorways, an auto does it for me.

Maybe I am missing something but without a real manual mode,

You're missing something.

Manual gearboxes are a sad throwback.

Maybe I am missing something.....

Yes you are.

The behaviour you describe does not reflect my, or I suspect many others, experience of an MB or most other manufacturers auto boxes from the last 15-20 years or so.

If the box in the car you drove was so dimwitted then I suspect there was some sort of problem.

Up until the 1990's there were still alot of 3 speed boxes out there, and autos were often to referred to as 'slush' boxes for good reason. They were often slow, inefficient and unreliable.

Things have moved on and most autos have 5 or more speeds, silky smooth changes, change faster than manuals and are close to or even exceed the manual equivalents in terms of efficiency.

For long journeys on crammed motorways or busy commutes in traffic the constant need to depress the clutch and change gear can be a tiresome experience. This is where autos excel.

If you don't experience this then this advantage is less relevant to you.

I always used to say I would never own an automatic, I like driving too much and the car control a manual gearbox gives cannot be matched. Then I drove my fathers new MB from Stuttgart. We covered 700 miles in around 12 hours, travelling via Champagne to test the boot space. We arrived home and I would have been perfectly happy to turn around and drive the car back again. This was in part due to the comfort and ride quality of the car, but moreover due to the smoothness and convenience of the auto. There was no doubt that the fatigue levels were significantly lower with the auto box and I saw the light.

All my family cars have been autos ever since although for small, lightweight plastic cars with no servo on the brake/clutch/steering, it's still manual every time!

The experience you describe does not sound right, modern auto boxes are fantastic for long and potentially tiring journeys. Combine an auto box with MB distronic systems and, in my experience, you will be able to cover tremendous distances in comfort with dramatically reduced fatigue levels.

I get 47mpg in a 2 tonne Estate car with a gearbox as smooth as silk, great kickdown and acceleration if required. The car is designed to carry its cargo in comfort and style, so aggresive manual changes are not necessary or desired in this context, so why would anyone want the manual?

Personally for this type of car I would never return to manual.

Each to their own.

Regards, Neil

If it is a track car then I agree manual has some benefits to the MB auto, however BMW SMG and Ferrari I would go flappy paddle every time.

For day to day car no reason to not have an auto.

I only have two feet. Why would I want three pedals?
And as for the 'more control in a manual', consider this. Unless you can operate the three pedals simultaneously, double declutching with a blip, and go from brake to throttle seamlessly then you are having the car dictate change down points (or modulating braking to compensate) and between brake and throttle application you are not in control - you are coasting.

I do appreciate some of the advantages of a auto box specially in traffic but I don't see it on a motorway. I have driven to Europe 3 times in the c class and when the car is on the motorway, it never leaves 6th gear due to the amazing torque this engine produces.

We all have different preferences and it was nice to try an auto properly and compare it. Also, I know I am in a minority as most mercs have the auto box so I wanted to see if anybody had the same experience I had.

If it is a track car then I agree manual has some benefits to the MB auto, however BMW SMG and Ferrari I would go flappy paddle every time.

F1 cars don't have manual gearboxes. They're semi-automatic.

Touring and even rally cars seem to have moved on to sequential manual transmissions.

Last edited:
I do appreciate some of the advantages of a auto box specially in traffic but I don't see it on a motorway. I have driven to Europe 3 times in the c class and when the car is on the motorway, it never leaves 6th gear due to the amazing torque this engine produces.

So basically one would conclude from this.

1. You appreciate the advantages of an auto when gears are changed
  2. You think a manual is better at constant motorway speed with no gear change.
:confused:

For day to day car no reason to not have an auto.

I tried my Ferrari flappy paddle in full auto mode last night and it was beyond terrible.

Driving in the South East is made much easier with a regular auto as you shuffle along at 1.6 mph!

The auto box is not very smooth and it is always chasing a gear like if it is never in the correct one.

They're good reasons not like it and I can't blame you. But it's almost impossible generally speaking to beat an auto for daily driving duties imo anyway. I've had both man & auto, depending on the car some simply don't suit autos and vise versa. Of course smaller displacement turbo diesels with a massive dollop of torque in a small power band might have a negative impact on the operation of an auto box. Horses for courses.

Of course smaller displacement turbo diesels with a massive dollop of torque in a small power band might have a negative impact on the operation of an auto box. Horses for courses.

The 7, 8, and 9 speed autos are in fact the particular type of horse for that course.

...Maybe I am missing something but without a real manual mode, I don't get why people rave so much about it. I am sure somebody will tell me though. :D

You try updating your Facebook status with the same hand that holds the coffee, AND changing gears at the same time!

:D

Stumpy yesterday I was driving a Ferrari FF for about 5 hours and I have to say I was not impressed with the auto part, however i also owned a 458, which you think would have the same box and I loved the auto. Set it to sport and it was great.

Maybe it's the v12 to v8 which made the gear changes much more abrupt and uncomfortable, now pull the paddle and both boxes are fantastic.

I'm another convert to auto. My C250 had the 7 speed box and for normal use on the stop/start daily commute and motorway driving I can't see why there would be any reason to even switch away from eco mode.

Admittedly it wasn't perfect when on fast A roads 'pushing on' as sport mode did have a habit of changing up and down when you would normally hold a gear in a manual car but after some acclimatisation it was predictable. Again there was always the paddles but would agree you need to plan a second or so ahead with them on the diesel cars.

Driving style also will have something to do with the perceived 'smoothness' and fuel consumption. I averaged just over 45mpg after 30k in my estate which would be comparable to your manual.

As others have said personal preference will dictate what you ultimately choose to drive and there is no right or wrong

The 7, 8, and 9 speed autos are in fact the particular type of horse for that course.

Not according to the Op (which I presume is a seven speed?) and I can't argue as I haven't driven his particular model. And I see Andy76 says the auto is not perfect either in his 250. No matter how many gears an auto box has it won't stop smaller displacement turbo diesel from producing a wall of torque in a small rev band, linear developed engine power I would presume must be beneficial to how the auto box operates. I would also presume that seven, eight & nine speed auto boxes were more to do with emissions that just drivability.

Last edited:
Stumpy yesterday I was driving a Ferrari FF for about 5 hours and I have to say I was not impressed with the auto part, however i also owned a 458, which you think would have the same box and I loved the auto. Set it to sport and it was great.

Maybe it's the v12 to v8 which made the gear changes much more abrupt and uncomfortable, now pull the paddle and both boxes are fantastic.

Mine isn't DSG or whatever they call it as fitted to the current range, but SF2 single clutch. Nothing wrong with the changes themselves but the brain running the show hasn't got a clue what it wants to do.

The best auto I've tried is the one fitted to the Wraith which uses 3D mapping to know which gear to be in.

I've always had manual cars until my MB which has a 5 speed auto, a much more relaxing drive, whilst I could possibly get slightly better economy with a manual, driving is so much more relaxed. The paddles work on mine OK not that they get much use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom