I drove an (ahem) Audi S6 avant today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Whilst I was waiting on getting my windscreen replaced....

The car was a 2006 black 25k miler up for grabs for £23k.

What a lot of car for £23k.

Spacious, nicely appointed and crammed full of kit like Navigation, phone, auto changer, memory seats, xenon lights.

The positives:

• The engine. Sounds like an F1 car. The V10 is a reworked version of the engine used in the Lamborghini Gallardo. It pulls 5th gear at 30mph so very flexible.
  • The gearbox: smooth and with paddle-shift fast acting and obedient (unlike the Manual mode in the merc which quite frankly does what its NOT told to do despite you telling it otherwise). The engine and gearbox work well together. Engine speed at 80mph is 2200rpm.
  • The cabin. In some ways better than the 211, in other ways not. The seats are supportive but are set too high and the wheel doesn't give enough adjustment to be close to your arms if you want your legs stretched out. I'd never be comfortable. However the seats are comfy. The materials are nice and the tech A1. The dials are classy. This is a "surprise" and delight car.
  • The consumption. This was a 5.2 V10 not owned by me driven in a mix of anger and relative ease. It got 23.3mpg. That's a miracle. I did drop it to 6mpg on the M8 (kick-down is addictive).
  • Handling. Very good grip, unlikely to break traction. Steering constantly weighted and intuitive to drive.
  • Body work. Doors "thunk shut", classy hinges on the doors and boot etc.
  • Stereo. Bose. @nuff said.
  • Full size spare in the boot. A welcome addition.
The negatives

• The ride. Bone shaker, Audi don't know what supple means. Its like a rally car to drive. Does resist roll well though. I imagine on a back road this is a car that can be driven hard.
  • The controls. Accessing stuff on the trip computer is not easy. The merc system is very intuitive. This is not.
  • Some of the materials are cheap and the MB has a solidity and consistency throughout the cabin.
  • The driving position, doesn't work for folk with long legs. Sorry. Seat set too high, not enough headroom really. For small people.
  • This is an "S" model. Looks too plain. On the other hand if you like your motors subtle then this is for you.
  • The exhaust. Nice looking but not enough "bark". I want to be reminded there is a lambo engine up front.
  • Lack of torque. I never thought I'd say a 400bhp car felt slow, but it did. Mine gives a greater shove in the back and in kick-down I didn't feel the S6 felt that much quicker, and not justifiably so given the extra fuel it uses over mine. Maybe that's how far modern diesels have come, but mine doesn't feel much slower if any. You need an Rs6 for your fast Audi estate or the RS4 (which I have not tried).
  • The brakes. The 211's are MILES better. This car had been stood about for a while and needed some surface rust off the brakes. Once done a bit better but not a patch on the 211's. This is a performance variant. Not good enough. Sorry. Thats why you see Audi's tailgating, because they have just had enough time to stop without hitting your bumper.
Alas I just didn't feel at "home" in the car and once I got into my 211 and drove home I realise just what a wonderful car I have and why so many of us here are happy with our cars.

I also looked at the Porsche Panamera today as well. Didn't drive it, didn't want too would fall in love.

This is a lovely car but priced well above an S class. The quality of the materials, the seating and equipment levels put it in a class of its own. Build quality is beyond reproach. This is a fine fine car and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. Boot space is good. Shame its so massive.

Whilst I was waiting on getting my windscreen replaced....

The car was a 2006 black 25k miler up for grabs for £23k.

What a lot of car for £23k.

Spacious, nicely appointed and crammed full of kit like Navigation, phone, auto changer, memory seats, xenon lights.

The positives:

• The engine. Sounds like an F1 car. The V10 is a reworked version of the engine used in the Lamborghini Gallardo. It pulls 5th gear at 30mph so very flexible.
  • The gearbox: smooth and with paddle-shift fast acting and obedient (unlike the Manual mode in the merc which quite frankly does what its NOT told to do despite you telling it otherwise). The engine and gearbox work well together. Engine speed at 80mph is 2200rpm.
  • The cabin. In some ways better than the 211, in other ways not. The seats are supportive but are set too high and the wheel doesn't give enough adjustment to be close to your arms if you want your legs stretched out. I'd never be comfortable. However the seats are comfy. The materials are nice and the tech A1. The dials are classy. This is a "surprise" and delight car.
  • The consumption. This was a 5.2 V10 not owned by me driven in a mix of anger and relative ease. It got 23.3mpg. That's a miracle. I did drop it to 6mpg on the M8 (kick-down is addictive).
  • Handling. Very good grip, unlikely to break traction. Steering constantly weighted and intuitive to drive.
  • Body work. Doors "thunk shut", classy hinges on the doors and boot etc.
  • Stereo. Bose. @nuff said.
  • Full size spare in the boot. A welcome addition.
The negatives

• The ride. Bone shaker, Audi don't know what supple means. Its like a rally car to drive. Does resist roll well though. I imagine on a back road this is a car that can be driven hard.
  • The controls. Accessing stuff on the trip computer is not easy. The merc system is very intuitive. This is not.
  • Some of the materials are cheap and the MB has a solidity and consistency throughout the cabin.
  • The driving position, doesn't work for folk with long legs. Sorry. Seat set too high, not enough headroom really. For small people.
  • This is an "S" model. Looks too plain. On the other hand if you like your motors subtle then this is for you.
  • The exhaust. Nice looking but not enough "bark". I want to be reminded there is a lambo engine up front.
  • Lack of torque. I never thought I'd say a 400bhp car felt slow, but it did. Mine gives a greater shove in the back and in kick-down I didn't feel the S6 felt that much quicker, and not justifiably so given the extra fuel it uses over mine. Maybe that's how far modern diesels have come, but mine doesn't feel much slower if any. You need an Rs6 for your fast Audi estate or the RS4 (which I have not tried).
  • The brakes. The 211's are MILES better. This car had been stood about for a while and needed some surface rust off the brakes. Once done a bit better but not a patch on the 211's. This is a performance variant. Not good enough. Sorry. Thats why you see Audi's tailgating, because they have just had enough time to stop without hitting your bumper.
Alas I just didn't feel at "home" in the car and once I got into my 211 and drove home I realise just what a wonderful car I have and why so many of us here are happy with our cars.

I also looked at the Porsche Panamera today as well. Didn't drive it, didn't want too would fall in love.

This is a lovely car but priced well above an S class. The quality of the materials, the seating and equipment levels put it in a class of its own. Build quality is beyond reproach. This is a fine fine car and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. Boot space is good. Shame its so massive.

Nice car Steve but I agree with you that V10 is just wrong in the S6 it does not feel or drive right, however its nothing like the Lambo engine S6 has a longer stroke and bigger bore to get more torque lower down the rev range Its about 430 bhp SWMBO's A8 V8 is 420 bhp and I think a much better proposition, torque is around 400 lb/ft on the V10 and they now fit the same engine into the A8 D3 (next model on from SWMBOS) and have tweaked it to 450 bhp

Have driven both the Lambo Spyder and Porsche Panamera last time I was in Germany, the Panamera is something else completely :eek:

S6 or your 211? I'd go with yours, great engine with loads of torque in yours hope ou still enjoying it.

Nice car Steve but I agree with you that V10 is just wrong in the S6 it does not feel or drive right, however its nothing like the Lambo engine S6 has a longer stroke and bigger bore to get more torque lower down the rev range Its about 430 bhp SWMBO's A8 V8 is 420 bhp and I think a much better proposition, torque is around 400 lb/ft on the V10 and they now fit the same engine into the A8 D3 (next model on from SWMBOS) and have tweaked it to 450 bhp

Have driven both the Lambo Spyder and Porsche Panamera last time I was in Germany, the Panamera is something else completely :eek:

S6 or your 211? I'd go with yours, great engine with loads of torque in yours hope ou still enjoying it.

You are right. The Gallardo engine is 5000cc this is 5200cc. Less peak power (considerably less) and whilst it can pull high gears @ low RPM it just didn't feel particularly fast. My car has 380ft/lb so the S6 has about 20 more ft/lb's but it sure didn't feel it. Noise was brilliant.

Having driven an E500 couple, that felt it had limitless power and was hilariously quick (for someone like me anyway).

I'd be curious to try a A6/8 4.2 V8. Completely aside having driven LTD's S500L and the E500 both of these felt more "urgent".

I am over the moon with my car, even more so now.

What did you feel about the Panamera, from nosing about it I really liked it, but haven't driven one....yet ;)

Steve

S500

It's the only TRUE option ;)

You are right. The Gallardo engine is 5000cc this is 5200cc. Less peak power (considerably less) and whilst it can pull high gears @ low RPM it just didn't feel particularly fast. My car has 380ft/lb so the S6 has about 20 more ft/lb's but it sure didn't feel it. Noise was brilliant.

Having driven an E500 couple, that felt it had limitless power and was hilariously quick (for someone like me anyway).

I'd be curious to try a A6/8 4.2 V8. Completely aside having driven LTD's S500L and the E500 both of these felt more "urgent".

I am over the moon with my car, even more so now.

What did you feel about the Panamera, from nosing about it I really liked it, but haven't driven one....yet ;)

SWMBO A8 V8 is awesome I must admit one of the best cars I have ever driven, paddle change gearbox is also a winner and was a seriously expensive option along with the buffalino leather. It goes from 70 mph to 130 mph in the blink of an eye and the torque is neck snapping. Just had it remapped, Audi Sport headers, Audi Sport exhaust gives it a real grunt.

Only problem is it makes my Brabus Tunned W208 look like a 1.0 litre Polo I just can't get anywhere near it even with her driving it. Far faster then the Scooby too on the top end. Can't wait to take it to Germany in 2 weeks for the F1 GP should be able to get Vmax on the Autobahn, that will be interesting :eek:

Panamera does not drive how it looks, it is a really agile sports car feel incredibly precise and hugs the road as though it were on rails, reminded me of a Lotus Exige Vauxhall AX 220 athough I know thats a strange comparision but the accuracy was pin point, Interior is really classy and you feel well at home as you sink into the cockpit, never really got chance to open it up but it felt good and well balanced like a proper sports car should.

On the other hand I did get chance to open up the Lambo and did not like it, fidgety ride very nervous handling (but must admit it was wet) I love engine sounds but that drone in my ears for more than 20 miles would do my head in, I must admit for the money there is far better and its no where near Ferrari league standards both in terms of ride, build quality or Kudos.

Nice choice of car you have and if you still like it even after an S6 that says it all to me, MB is class and hard to beat on certain models.

Lambo Spyder also runs a 5.2 as well but not the same engine config

I like the sound of the "accuracy" of the steering on the Porka. Certainly sitting in the car and getting comfy in it it felt it was made to mean business. I had a look at the PCP quotes and a V6 3600cc model costing £75k with options on 48 months with 10k/annum has a GMFV of £25k. AUC ones will be on for about £30k. The £95k V8 with options has a GMFV of £30k on the same deal. Reckoning £35k-40k for an AUC one in 4 years.

A quick chat with the salesman indicated the V6 petrol was the one to have, he said sharper handling and really good economy (low 30's hgih 20's). I bet in a few years there will be a diesel.

A distinct maybe....until then, if ever, I shall enjoy what I have, a marvellous car which has shamed a much more expensive and powerful car.

Lambo Spyder also runs a 5.2 as well but not the same engine config

It must be the RS6 V10 I am confused with. It I am sure has a smaller displacement. If you need a fast Audi estate, thats what you need. I hear it has ceramic brakes. Just as well as the normal ones are gash!!

I like the sound of the "accuracy" of the steering on the Porka. Certainly sitting in the car and getting comfy in it it felt it was made to mean business. I had a look at the PCP quotes and a V6 3600cc model costing £75k with options on 48 months with 10k/annum has a GMFV of £25k. AUC ones will be on for about £30k. The £95k V8 with options has a GMFV of £30k on the same deal. Reckoning £35k-40k for an AUC one in 4 years.

A distinct maybe....

It really is a great car but not had that much press over here, would certainly be a maybe for me too

Going back to the Gallardo 0-60 is about 4 secs and the car weighs 1400kg, SWMBO A8 is now down to 5.2 secs and weighs 1850 Kg and has 2 cylinders less, very respectable me thinks :)

It really is a great car but not had that much press over here, would certainly be a maybe for me too

Going back to the Gallardo 0-60 is about 4 secs and the car weighs 1400kg, SWMBO A8 is now down to 5.2 secs and weighs 1850 Kg and has 2 cylinders less, very respectable me thinks :)

Thats effing brilliant. LTDs S500 which flies does it in about 6secs....

The e500 I drove was quoted to be about 5secs and it was very accelerative. Sounds a weapon you have. IIRC you have Alcon 6pot brakes too.

Thats effing brilliant. LTDs S500 which flies does it in about 6secs....

The e500 I drove was quoted to be about 5secs and it was very accelerative. Sounds a weapon you have. IIRC you have Alcon 6pot brakes too.

No you were quite right Lambo in original form was 5.0 well 4961cc actually then they took it out to 5.2 on certain models inc the spyder and Superleggera

Yep Audi has Alcon 6 pots and I've swapped the pads out to OMP Pro, stops on a sixpence, seriously rapid decelaration. Been looking at going into Maserati ownership but my daughter starts Uni next year which will eat up my finances so will stick with the W208 and D2 for now.

Will get up to another of your meets when I'm here I promise enjoyed the meet for Strathclyde Police be good to see you guys again

Someone summed up Maserati ownership nicely once...

"if you are the sort of person who gets worried about engine warning lights and various other warning lights going on and off randomly then its not the car for you"

In saying that I would not sniff at a Quattroporte but its for someone with deeper pockets and more behind them than me.

In saying that I would not sniff at a Quattroporte but its for someone with deeper pockets and more behind them than me.

And me too and hence the reason I have not gone there, yet :eek: It's still an itch that won't go away maybe when my daughter has her degree :dk:

A friend of mine and I borrowed a Saloon S6 from Audi UK for a weekend ( He worked for ING Lease and was pretty high up in the company ). It was a stonking car! Very fast-we hit 180 on a private road ( got a photo of the clocks on a phone somewhere ) and always nailed 60 in under 5 seconds. Not bad for a car that weights in under two tonnes.
It was great throught the bends too. I had the back out on a few corners with the TC off. That engine was epic-slightly de-tuned Lambo engine. Epic noise and pace. We did get nearly 24 MPG on the trip to our destination but less than 19 on the trip back.
Awesome car-crap satnav though as you can not put in a whole postcode! But the traffice re-route doofer worked nicely.

A friend of mine and I borrowed a Saloon S6 from Audi UK for a weekend

My brother borrowed an RS6 Avant from Audi too for a weekend about 3 years ago. Stonking car :D

I have a W220 S500L that is 7yo and has over 110k miles.

It's the only car that anyone needs unless they want an estate :thumb:

I have a W220 S500L that is 7yo and has over 110k miles.

It's the only car that anyone needs unless they want an estate :thumb:

That's the thing super fast estates are a rare breed and I can see their appeal. Okay we have the usual suspects, the E55 / E63, M5 Touring, S6 / RS6. However, the more I think of it an S Class Estate would be pretty cool. The R Class is great and I one of it's fans. The R63 AMG was recently discontinued in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom