I drove an SLS today, and...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guy

Car
Maserati Quattroporte : Brabus A200CDi D3 : E300TDT
do81o2.jpg

Macclesfield Garages were kind enough to invite me, [a known defector] to an AMG day today.

It was held at the Cloudside Shooting Club, in the hills, near Rushton Spencer. Now I could do a Jeremy Clarkson, and write paragraphs about the club, the food, the people and give you just a couple of throwaway lines about the car at the end, but I won't. The club, the food and the people were very good, very tasty and very interesting - in that order.

The car - well I should say that in the morning I drove an E63, then a CL65 Bi-Turbo, and finally an SL63. We were on public roads with instructors, it was all very professional, the only disappointment being we had to drive and stay in convoy, no overtaking and no dropping back to 'make space' to speed into. The pace was pretty good, even so.

And I thought my chance had gone - the SLS had been bagged in my session by people who had been there since dawn or perhaps even camped out overnight. But I was very lucky - my instructor was a great bloke who put a word in for me, and at 3.30 a huge bloke called Cliff sidled up to me and asked for 'a word' - the effect of which was keep your mouth shut and follow me. And we were away in the SLS, and no convoy.

Or we would have been if I could have got in. I did eventually, but its not easy and its certainly not elegant if you have really long legs. Having to grab your shin to pull your knee up under your chin is not cool. There must be a better way than **** (can you really not say ass on here?) first, which was the advice. The sill was really badly scuffed too.

But nothing like that matters once you start the engine. It starts with a serious roar - a really seriously load roar. You could not sneak out in this car, and neither did we, but we were on our way. The exhaust noise is fantastic, burbling, popping and sounding great as you change down when the throttle is automatically blipped. Throttle response is fearsome - you can drive that car fast, really fast without using much right foot.

The suspension is nothing like as hard as I expected - I'd heard from one guest he'd found it uncomfortable, but I didn't, and was pleasantly surprised.
We got to the main road, the A535 towards Leek, crested a hill and found a tractor with trailer, followed by a French reg Renault. We'd been warned at the briefing about overtaking, speed etc etc but before I could ask Cliff said get past when you can - so, with a clear view to the top of the next crest, 2nd gear, lots of headlights, I squeezed the throttle and the car just flew past the traffic. I was conscious of the green orange red LED's at the top of the speedo as it shifted itself into 3rd [we were in M] and also of the fact that we would shortly be going over the next crest at a fair old lick... ceramic brakes to the rescue. I have never ever driven with them before, but they seemed a lot more progressive, with less snatch or bite than you sometimes get. Next was an artic;we followed him for half a mile or so, then a chance to pass - 2nd gear, a bit of road that curves, rises and bends - I tried to be 'progressive', but effectively floored it. I've had some nice cars, and I've been driven by other people who have even nicer ones, but I have never ever experienced anything quite like this afternoon.

The noise inside the car is spectacular, from engine as well as exhaust. There was no sensation of nose up or down under fierce acceleration or braking, and as well as flat, the car stays utterly level. The steering is marvellous - I really didn't get the chance to judge about roadholding - way out of my league - but the handling is tremendous. It was definitely the most involving, captivating and memorable 30 minutes of driving I have enjoyed.

If you get the chance, drive one. Put on the best suit, or the holiest jeans you've got, whatever makes you look like you might just have the money.

If you think you want one now, wait until you've driven it.

Excellent, bet you still have a grin on your face. You'll also be working out how to raise the cash!

A mate of mine got to drive one recently at an AMG driving day (also in the North West) and absolutely loved it. Sounds like a cracking car.

Thanks for the write up Guy and good to see you post again.

I am progressively turning more green..... now suit jacket and ripped jeans that should do the trick.

sounds great

Hi,I have never been in an A M G I wonder if i can blag a demo at watford, not my favorites at the moment posted as mb c180 (w203) in the engine forum.I am sure they would not let me drive one, but for the experience! sounds great and what is "the worst thing that could happen" they could refuse to take me for a demo or not have a demo AMG.Any tips or should I just say"Hi I'm interested in a demo of a A M G and wing it.Phoning to book might be better?Thanks for your time:thumb:.

Euge.

I sat in one at the Dealership, but by crickey if you're over 6'2" you’re out of luck. And still I had to properly stretch for the door handle???

There are other cars out there for the taller Gentleman.......

Great write up from a great experience,thnx

I sat in one at the Dealership, but by crickey if you're over 6'2" you’re out of luck. And still I had to properly stretch for the door handle???

There are other cars out there for the taller Gentleman.......

Phew, I just sneak in at 6'1"....

No where's my cheque book....

Go try one on mate, I'd be interested to see if you could see out of the windscreen without having to tilt your head down all the time.....

I couldn't close the door!!

Strangely enough, there are two parked in my local dealers....

Because the showroom isn't far from me, the salesmen use similar shops as me and if you didn't know any better you would think my area was uber-wealthy due to the SLS that is sent on the break time sandwich run....

Could you imagine

Hi,Could you imagine the fight to go on the sarny run to the shops.The opposite of most places"It my turn to get the sarny's" "na its my turn".Thanks for your time:thumb:.

Euge.

How much are the repayments per month? :D

OPERATING LEASE OFFER
Take advantage of monthly payments from £1,875†

Enjoy all the benefits of an Operating Lease offer on the SLS AMG Coupé.

SLS AMG Coupé

Contract Length 24 months
Annual Mileage 10,000 mpa
Payment Profile 3 + 23
Initial Rental † £5,625.00
Monthly Rental † £1,875.00

Or -

Enjoy monthly payments from £2,399 based on a SLS AMG Coupé, with a finance deposit contribution worth £9,043 available on SLS AMG Coupé vehicles for a limited time only (1.9% APR Representative).

Representative example - SLS AMG Coupé

24 Monthly Payments of £2,399.00
Duration of agreement 24 months
Customer Deposit £5,000.00
Total Amount Payable ‡ £173,319.38
On the Road Price £168,395.00
Acceptance Fee £180.00
Retailer Deposit Contribution £9,043.38
Purchase Activation Fee † £95.00
Optional Purchase Payment † £101,425.00
Representative APR 1.9% APR
Amount of Credit £154,351.62
Fixed interest rate 1.8%

I posted this in part to answer your question; but also to make a confession. When I got home on Thursday, I was so starstruck that I felt like I had to have one, I couldn't live without one, and I actually looked it up.

That was the bucket of cold water I needed.

Never in a million years, or at least not until [with a similarly unfounded optimism] I check the lottery results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom