I finally used my first aid kit last night...

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Spinal, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Is anyone superstitious?

As some of you may know, I study 40 minutes away from where I live, and this week is a commuting week...

So yesterday morning, I arrived at Thornhill car park, parked and went to my lectures. I then went out and around 22:00, where we were 13 at a dinnertable, and the bill worked out to £13 each. Eventually, I got back to the car. I started the engine, realized that it was covered in ice, so I got out and scraped the ice off (all the time with a piece of opera playing).

I sat in the car... and the engine was off... odd I thought, so I started it again, turned the heat up, put it in gear, accelerated... dead... hmmm

I tried two or three times, turning off various electronics (and thinking of how much I drank)...

Eventually, I realise that my fuel gauge was fooling me... it showed half-a-tank, but in reality I was really quite dry (how I got there in the first place is a miracle I guess).

Unfortunately, there is no petrol station nearby, so while walking aimlessly, I find a cab and ask them if they can bring my to the petrol station. The driver (from New York incidentally) was very simpathetic, and told me that he can't take rides without bookings, but he'd bring me to the station.

At the station, they didn't have a jerrycan... so after trying to buy 2 bottles of lucozade (with the intention of filling them with fuel as they were solid and wide-necked), the shopkeeper said he had a can that had the pipe missing, so he couldn't sell it... but he'd give it to me as I was in a tight spot.

20 minutes later, I get to the car and find out that my idea of slowly pouring it in wont work... so I rip open the first aid kit with the intention of using the tournequin as a syphon, (finding out in the process that I need to renew it as most of the items are expired). No tournequin... d*mn... Grab the scissors, cut the lucozade's bottom and find out that the little flap wont allow you pour directly... so I used the wheel-bolt-spanner-thing to push the flap open while pouring... nope, wont work, it drips through the overflow... in the meantime, a friendly W203 owner pulled up by me and offered a hand, we sliced a water bottle's top and bottom off; then cut one side, rolled it into a pipe, used the lucozade bottle/funnel and voila!

So... a few points:
    - It helps to find friendly people! I was truly impressed with the help I received (especially compared to when I broke my ankle and had people stepping over me)

- I need to fix my fuel thing, I put a bottle of injector cleaner in with a full tank last night hoping it helps... but I think I need to change the sensors or check the connections... ideas?

- Does anyone know the part number for the first-aid kit? I need a new one...

- A giant thank you to the merc owner, the cab driver and the petrol station clerk. I wanted to send thank-you cards out, but I thought it would be... odd asking for their addresses :p So I'll send one to the petrol station and one to the cab company; hopefully the friendly merc owner is a member here and reads this ;)

M.

2. Biscuit

Biscuit Hardcore MB Enthusiast

McGyver- esque!!

3. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    The scary part is... I actually enjoyed it! It wasn't too cold, and I got to spend some time "alone with my car" :cool:

M.

4. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    A good read and nice to know there are some genuinely helpful folk out there. :)

Only, this bit concerned me, just a tad..

"I tried two or three times, turning off various electronics (and thinking of how much I drank)... " :(

5. Frank O' Phile

Frank O' Phile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    gone
    Thats my kind of improvisation. Well done.

As for your First aid kit, I recently picked up a recent, unused one from ebay for only a couple of quid. (remember, if you're only going to use bits of it as a funnel and other makeshift parts, why spend lots on a new dealer supplied kit?)

6. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    I wasn't too clear; I hadn't had a single drop of alcohol - but I was trying to figure out if I was drunk... I'm not used to my car playing tricks on me :p

m.

7. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Have to say I was a little worried at the drink comment?

Glad you got it sorted, spare can in the future I guess :)

Nice one

8. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    I have this strange tendency of being singled out as the designated driver, as such I haven't aquired a taste for watered down beer and acidic wine :p (oops, did I just say that? :p)

The can will come in handy, I'm planning a wee-trip across a wee-desert during Christmas, and extra fuel is definetly something I'll want!

M.

9. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Spinal , you realise you have now blown any chance of ever getting a good price for your car on eBay ?

It no longer has the essential " original , unopened first-aid kit " :D :D :D

10. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Nice story Spinal, good to hear people helped you out. I nearly always help out if I see a motorist in genuine trouble and would like to think the favour might be returned if I needed it.

11. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    I did pause to think when I ripped open the kit; I stopped and though "I always assumed this would happen in a more... tragic situation." My next thought was, "ohhh, this will make a great story on mbclub :D"

Had a look around ebay, they all look "wrong"; mine's transparent/white, not black! Gonna call the dealership and see what they quote.

M.

12. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    You can get a new kit containing fresh supplies from the dealership , Halfords , a chemists shop , almost anywhere .

Then , look on eBay for a used kit from a W202 and just fill it with the fresh supplies . Sometimes , just occasionally , you find them is breakers yards although usually they are gone .

13. scumbag

scumbag Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Its German, has a round badge, reminds me of a Mercedes. Satan fuelled
    write it to the local paper, no doubt they will publish it with your thanks, and that may help get the thanks to the people you want to thank.

No harm in that.

14. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    My wife always raids my kit without telling me.....

Glad you got help ... gives one some faith in humanity again

15. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009