I found the glove box fix! CLK W209 / Any CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ssam

Car
Mercedes CLK w209 Sport
Hi guys,

I have found you all a fix for not having to replace the whole glove box because of that rubbish catch (like a birds mouth and bar set up) that Mercedes CLKs have.

Basically buy one of these B&Q Ball Catch | Departments | DIY at B&Q

A ball catch which is usually used on doors, take out the pen holders and in the grove screw in the female part, I found small pilot holes help. And in the recess for the pen on the lid place the male part. Screw in. Make sure it all lines up. Job done.

Then you can spend the £100s saved on a holiday or beer. Happy days. Hope this helps, shall try and get some more pictures up soon!

IMG_7134.jpg

Also pack out the back on the female part shown in the picture with some card board. Also adjust the springs in the ball bearing tightness to slightly firmer.

I haven't given-up on the catch on mine yet, but as it often needs a solid closing if I want it to stay closed, I suspect this could come in useful at some point.

Not time yet - but I can see the need for this fix in the future - many thanks.

Steve

I found the glove box on the CLK's just need adjusted with a screwdriver, takes 2 minutes and costs nothing?

Russ

Yes the CLK glove box issue is well documented on here. If you have the CD changer in the glove box it has to be moved to adjust the catch, but it's still only minutes of job. Certainly less time than it takes to go to Block and Quayle and it's a freeby.

I found the glove box on the CLK's just need adjusted with a screwdriver, takes 2 minutes and costs nothing?

Russ

I found the exact same solution to work, the latch just needs adjusting as it comes out of alignment over time.

I have only had to adjust mine once... All working as it should.

Hi guys,

I have found you all a fix for not having to replace the whole glove box because of that rubbish catch (like a birds mouth and bar set up) that Mercedes CLKs have.

A ball catch which is usually used on doors, take out the pen holders and in the grove screw in the female part, I found small pilot holes help. And in the recess for the pen on the lid place the male part. Screw in. Make sure it all lines up. Job done.

Then you can spend the £100s saved on a holiday or beer. Happy days. Hope this helps, shall try and get some more pictures up soon!

I've actually snapped the clip on mind and only way is to replace whole glove box I've been told. Will give this a try

Hi guys,

View attachment 62576
Great contribution from a new member - nice one!

Just need pics of your car now......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom