I hate dependancy on electronics!! arrgghh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
we have a petrol station and we have not been able to dispense fuel since 3.30pm today... all due to some fault in the controller unit... after two hours on the phone to some teccy going through flashing lights, network cards, trying new cables etc, he has remotely determinded that the unit is buggered. its lost its config file...

we have had these petrol pumps around a year, in that time we have had some hiccups, but this is the biggest one... for a fuel station not being able to serve fuel for more than a few minutes is a big issue... i mean it can cause serious cash flow issues..

ill be waiting here until midnight tonight for the bloke to get here from newcastle... the lady on the phone initially suggested that i would have to wait until Monday as i didnt have weekend cover... she didnt get a pleasant response to that one... especially as the stuff is all around 11 months old with another 3 years warranty.

when our old pumps packed up, we just hit them with a hammer and off they went again..

i feel completely helpless as there is nothing i can do to fix it, i am totally reliant on a bloke that may or may not be able to fix it...

i get so frustrated in these situations... our business is suffering badly due to a bloomin txt file not being where it should be...

technology... sometimes i think we are going backwards..

this is why i have a W123, W126 and R107..

Last edited:
I like progress.

But as our Golf has been off the road for two days earlier in the week literally because the accelerator pedal failed, I might agree just this once.

No it didn't bend or snap onder my lead right foot, nor did a cable break, the electronics of the pedal that determin it's position failed. I admit they failed due to water ingress but that's anothjer complaint!

A perfectly running engine that you cannot make increase rpm on is very frustrating!

And yet one day, we'll be allowing cars to take us to our destination - all by computers and sat nav etc. What happens when you get a 'glitch' at 70mph? :eek:

thanks that does cheer me up a little!! now... i have a portable dvd player but no dvd's!!

Better get used to it. The point when electronics and motoring joined happened years ago. And it can only get more complex as time goes on.

Don't all the really big modern airliners have the capability to take off, fly and land all by themselves?

John

Don't all the really big modern airliners have the capability to take off, fly and land all by themselves?

John

Maybe....but all have two back up systems......:)

Tell that to the pilots of the one that came down at Heathrow a week ago...

Maybe they were the pilots who had the half naked stewardess in the cockpit, photos posted on internet and published in the Sun.
That would explain a lot.

Russ

Did she have a double backup system then..

John
Except the odd B777-200 with a tricky throttle connection....

Maybe they were the pilots who had the half naked stewardess in the cockpit, photos posted on internet and published in the Sun.
That would explain a lot.

Russ
I thought that was one of the perks of being a pilot....

....[before you found God en route from Canada of course]

he has remotely determinded that the unit is buggered. its lost its config file...

ill be waiting here until midnight tonight for the bloke to get here from newcastle... the lady on the phone initially suggested that i would have to wait until Monday as i didnt have weekend cover... she didnt get a pleasant response to that one... especially as the stuff is all around 11 months old with another 3 years warranty.

Your warranty will be on the hardware only as opposed to software and call-out.

I would consider taking out the full out of hours cover option as this is business critical. If you get hit with an OOH bill it will make the contract seem very cheap.

A power spike or disk failure may have caused the problem.

It might be worth asking if there is any way you can reinstall the system files without calling a Technician out. Unlikely but you never know.

And yet one day, we'll be allowing cars to take us to our destination - all by computers and sat nav etc. What happens when you get a 'glitch' at 70mph? :eek:

Ask the co-pilot of the British Airways plane that crashed short of the runway at Heathrow what he thinks of "fly by wire". ;)

Dieselman, think you may be spot on! There is a memory card in the controller that has become corrupt... the teccy has been battling to get the files right again but we are still here...

Tell that to the pilots of the one that came down at Heathrow a week ago...

So lets wait and see what exactly went wrong......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom