I hate driving in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If people choose to be ignorant on the roads, stupidly tailgate others and cut them off... let them carry on doing it as what goes around comes around (seen it for myself). Its your life remember, so just takecare and drive safely.

Heres an example, couple years ago I was driving down through the country side in Hertfordshire area, I was slowly approaching this lady driving a ford focus and she was sticking to 30mph dead on. I just eased off a little on my speed and kept a fair distance behind her and followed her as it was nice to just cruise, evem though it was a long straight with no cars on the opposite end. Anyway, a few mins later I hear this roar from behind and behold its a boy racer in a sapphire cosworth. He was so close to me I couldnt even see the front of his car in my rear view mirror.

Thing is he was so busy trying to find every second to overtake me and the lady in front that he must have missed a "Z" sign which warns of sharp bends approaching. Needless to say I heard him floor it with his big 4" exhaust and dump valve going "psssht", he got past me and the lady in front then approached the blind bend and took it barely staying on the road. About what must have been a minute or so later the lady in front braked hard as I did too and you could see bits of broken headlight/indicator glass scattered on the bend, skid marks, a big section of the side railing with massive dent/scrape marks on it then finally a mangled cosworth with smoke bellowing out the engine bay. What a fool!

I fondly remember a similar ( but not so catastrophic ) incident when I was heading north on the A9 between Dunblane and Auchterarder : I was driving along at 'more or less the legal limit' when I was passed by a Bentley Mulasnne Turbo doing what I would estimate to be well over 'the ton' .

A few miles further up the road - there he was in a lay-by , pulled over by an unmarked Police Car . Couldn't help laughing my head off as I went by ......

Motorway near me M2 was 3 lane and everyone used to drive in lane 2 now its a 4 lane and the same people drive in lane 3:mad:.

Stay in lane 1 or 2 and just undetake them, most get embaressed and eventually pull in after i have gone past, and if they dont pull in they tend to after another couple of cars have undertaken as well:D.

I thinks its the same for most things in life if you keep moving for other people to lazy to even attempt to do things a little properly they will just carry on the same oblivious way.

Lynall

the moral of this thread is that bad driving is not counterbalanced by more bad driving. if we all drove a little better and were a bit more courteous then the roads would be a better place to be.
I allowed the driver of a BMW 1 series out of a side road yesterday "think I might have gone a bit too far though :rolleyes: "

Lane discipline is much better on the German Autobahns
Autobahn1.jpg

Last edited:
Holding people up encourages them to take risks to get past you.

Mate of mine, years ago, going along a dual carriageway in outside lane in heavyish traffic, keeping his distance from car in front, youth in Astra behind him tries to take him on the inside, gets level with him, gives mate ****er sign out of window, not seeing the car in front of him has applied brakes, mate indicates this by pointing forward and breaking, Astra slams on anchors, swerves out behind my mate, hits crash barrier, up embankment, onto roof and back down onto the dual carriageway.

No one was hurt, and mate not at fault, but just goes to show, you wouldn't want that on you concience would you, even if the bloke was a wally?

I find silly road users make me into a very aggresive driver. Around town and country roads I drive well within the limits of the law but on the motorway I tend to travel at a speed I feel safe and comfortable with yet making good progress, but it makes me so unbelieveable angry when people get in my way when they simply don't need to be, people who sit in the outside lanes who cause me to brake when I shouldn't need to and cause me to burn yet more fuel. It's funny how in this country maintaining 90mph on a 3 lane motorway at 9pm is fairly difficult yet maintaining 115mph on the A3 going North out of Stuttgart at 7am is pretty common place. Lane disipline and a general lack of driver training have a lot to answer for in this country.

Risking a flaming, it's funny how we all think it's everyone else that drives badly.

Orbiting cars in the middle lane

I do lots of motorway driving and come across people pootling along and hogging the middle lane quite frequently. A good game to play is to overtake them, give them plenty of room say about 500 yards and then pull into the inside lane. You then slow down a little and allow them to overtake you. You let them get away and then pull out and overtake them again. Repeat until bored.

They never seem to notice.

To be honest I struggle to find things I like about the UK and the way its headed :mad:

It will all change come June........if people are brave enough to vote for a change that is.....so more of the same I should guess. too many sheep, not enough leaders.

the rest of this could introduce a political debate so I shall leave it with " if you look for the better things in life, you will find them, they are there, they may just be covered over. However, if you look for the bad things, you will find them too, generally because they are already uncovered"

Risking a flaming, it's funny how we all think it's everyone else that drives badly.

A good driver will make mistakes\errors now and then but will notice them and try to improve.

A bad driver is ignorant and oblivious to all around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom