I hate driving in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

215m3

Car
C43 AMG
I'm glad i don't spend much time on the dual carriageway and motorway road networks these days.

I had a short trip from Livingston to Glasgow and back and found apart from Lorries and a couple of cars i was the only other vehicle, a van, in the nearside lane.

One gantry sign stating 'return to the left lane after overtaking' was ignored, like all those ignorant drivers, so a complete waste of electricity.

What i do these days and did yesterday, is how i get my own back on these ignorant barstewards.

I am approaching a slower vehicle (i was sitting at 60 mph) and a row of cars approached from behind, all in the overtaking lane. I will not mention what car was at the front of the queue, as not to offend any owners on this board. As they got close, i moved out to overtake the truck. I then just purposely crept past and took about 5 miles to pass. The car behind flashed aggressively.

If they had approached me in the nearside lane, i would have let them past first, as we would do as pedestrians, where we are a lot more polite.

I know everyone these days seems to be in i hurry. If they actually stood back and thought about it, if they let the traffic flow everyone would get to the final destination less stressed, with less roadrage and in less time.

So i have decided to allow those who don't hold up other road users past, but those who do i just hold them up, just as they are doing to other road users.

Rant over!

Sounds like your strategy is holding everyone up behind the single car you are getting your revenge on. :crazy:

let the traffic flow everyone would get to the final destination less stressed

So why dont you do that then? :confused:

I hate driving on the same roads as people playing silly buggers.

I'm glad i don't spend much time on the dual carriageway and motorway road networks these days.

I had a short trip from Livingston to Glasgow and back and found apart from Lorries and a couple of cars i was the only other vehicle, a van, in the nearside lane.

One gantry sign stating 'return to the left lane after overtaking' was ignored, like all those ignorant drivers, so a complete waste of electricity.

What i do these days and did yesterday, is how i get my own back on these ignorant barstewards.

I am approaching a slower vehicle (i was sitting at 60 mph) and a row of cars approached from behind, all in the overtaking lane. I will not mention what car was at the front of the queue, as not to offend any owners on this board. As they got close, i moved out to overtake the truck. I then just purposely crept past and took about 5 miles to pass. The car behind flashed aggressively.

If they had approached me in the nearside lane, i would have let them past first, as we would do as pedestrians, where we are a lot more polite.

I know everyone these days seems to be in i hurry. If they actually stood back and thought about it, if they let the traffic flow everyone would get to the final destination less stressed, with less roadrage and in less time.

So i have decided to allow those who don't hold up other road users past, but those who do i just hold them up, just as they are doing to other road users.

Rant over!

I'd be careful, if you hold up purposely the wrong sort of person and get into agro on the road, you could end up being a victim of someone like Kenneth Noye.

Really, if you have the driving qualifications you say you do, you should rise above the poorer drivers than yourself.

I'd grow up if i were you ;)

why don't you just let those you do not like go past you very quickly? the further they are away from you, the less things they can do to annoy you.

lots of things i hate about the Uk at the moment, but contributing to the bad things , is just as bad as those doing it themselves.

What a strange way to get your own back by inconveniencing evry road user behind you!!! Takes all sorts I suppose.

The answer is better lane discipline like the drivers in Europe show but only way of doing this is to enforce it which becomes a bit of a problem when road traffic police attend more drugs incidents than traffic incidents, this problem in Scotland is even worse.

Always be courteous to other road users even if they act like pratts, the objective is to keep you & your passengers safe at all times, carrying out practices like you describe puts you at risk, not only from collision but also from road rage attack when you stop.

Act smart, stay safe and drive with consideration for others, just because they act stupid does not mean you have to come down to their level.

Last edited:

lots of things i hate about the Uk at the moment, but contributing to the bad things , is just as bad as those doing it themselves.

To be honest I struggle to find things I like about the UK and the way its headed :mad:

The "holier than thou" driving of the OP just adds to my dismay.

What's needed is education and until there is education the roads are just going to get worse. More road rage and more accidents.

The fact is folk do not know what they are doing wrong, or the fact someone behind them may be wants to go faster than they are.

What i have described above, i don't do all the time. If they realise that i may be holding them up, but still travelling at a speed which is not too slow, mainly 61 mph they may let the folk they are holding up past.

If we all try and rise above it how are we going to help improve the road flow?

Re-education is what's required across the whole board, but we all know that this won't happen.

Safety has different levels, so what is unsafe for one is safe for another.

I turn a blind eye to 99% of it, but just annoys me that folk think they have a right to drive on the roads, when infact it is reward, but many forget that when they pass their test.

There needs to be a campaign to get driving improved. May be everyone should be forced to take a driving course in how to use the road.

As a simple example, when i am in a supermarket carpark, i alway let pedestians cross and have right of way. When it's raining even more so as i'm in a car out of the rain, while they are getting wet. So many folk when they get behind the wheel become tunnel visioned and ignore everything around them.
I am amazed to see how many folk just ignore folk in these situations.

yes education is the key and taking 5 miles to overtake a truck is certainly not recommended in any education manual. neither is pulling into fast approaching cars on the overtaking lane. Bad racer drivers have been known to rear end people as they do not expect such maneovres
And also you should not be trying to enforce laws on the road. It is really not your job.
Please just take care. The roads are a stressfull place.

Last edited:
Sorry I am confused..... how are your actions re-educating the other drivers....????

Personally I think your actions are worse than the guy with bad lane discipline...How does someone hogging the outside overtaking lane - bearing down on you slower van in the inside inconvenience YOU - it may inconvenience the other drivers behind him but not you...

I totally agree with you on the education aspect and they should start by dramatically toughening up the existing driving test which actually proves nothing other than the fact you were good enough on the day. Yet immediately after passing your test you can go out and drive on a motorway even though you have never driven on one before, Absolute Insanity. After passing the test that should give you the right to drive on the roads you have been trained on, then there should be another test for motorway driving and also licences should be restricted depending upon bhp and regular testing as you go up in performance.

I am retested evey 3 years, but believe in education and continous improvement of my driving skills, a car in the wrong hand is a lethal weapon and mandatory retests should be introduced to keep everyone safe and obeying the rules of the road.

but even within those 3 years anyone could still go out and drive like a looney.
While i see your point flanaia,even if you are retested every day, the minute your test is finished, you can be a looney for the next 23hrs till your next test.

The drivers know what to do, just like many other professions, but they choose not to. It is the fact sad of life.

I do not want to start a controversy but is this not the speed vs bad driving debate all over again? enforcement and priority for spending the money?

Last edited:
but even within those 3 years anyone could still go out and drive like a looney.
While i see your point flanaia,even if you are retested every day, the minute your test is finished, you can be a looney for the next 23hrs till your next test.

The drivers know what to do, just like many other professions, but they choose not to. It is the fact sad of life.

I agree totally and personally I would not even let some people learn to drive in the first place as they are obviously not capable of civilised behaviour behind the wheel.

I would do what we do with our Motorsport and Driver training courses, Before anyone even gets in a car they complete a profiling questionairre to ensure their mental attitude is up to the task. If we did this for normal driving tests we would have less idiots and significantly less congested roads.

I think the retest idea is great in principle but deeply flawed. As recycled says you have a test that you will be on best behaviour on, this doesn't reflect real life driving or any aspect of real life as soon as you're free of test situation you'll do what you like.

Perhaps a better system is to have a retest after 2 driving convictions, (its done for younger drivers) as that will scare a lot of folk into driving safe.

The car test is grossly outdated and there should be greater scope of testing. Motorways are an obvious entry point, but imagine the chaos of a driver whos been driving for 15hrs unleashed on the M8 that cuts through Glasgow. Perhaps a better test is a basic town and rural road driving test, then another one focusing on driving @ higher speeds (dual carriageway).

Certainly there should be tests that limit access to higher perfomance cars, be that heavy cars, fast light cars etc.

Isn't part of learning to overtake to realise how and when to pull back in? I thought so at least!

I wouldn't agree you are getting your own back, you'll just become an ignorant driver to the people behind you. Whatever makes you feel happy. I tend to wait for them to move, then floor it and get away from them! :D

(quote)

That has to be the most stupid and potentially dangerous plan I've ever heard.

I guess the motorists who were stuck behind you are equally glad you don't spend much time on the dual carriageway and motorway road networks these days!

:D

(quote)

That has to be the most stupid and potentially dangerous plan I've ever heard.

You're effing lucky up there. Chances are you won't come across him on the roads up there. Alas for me the M8 is a road I am on and the probability for coming across him is higher. I am on the look out for a 202 43AMG now;)

Rant over!

If I read your description correctly, the offence is driving without due care and attention for other road users.

I can thoroughly recommend a Defensive Driving Course which might help you, if you like?

:eek:

Rant over!

What about the guy in front of you thinking the same way who sees you holding up other road users?

And what of those at the back being held up by the idiot behind you, and the idiot in front of him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom