I hate Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Regarding Range Rovers and indeed Land Rovers I think it can be luck of the draw sometimes. My parents had a few as we had a caravan, the most memorable one was a V reg TD5 Disco which they bought new. Had about £16K worth of parts in the first two years (I'm not joking), all covered under warranty but it eventually went back as it was a complete lemon, they got another TD5 (heavily discounted by LR) which wasn't as troublesome. Ironically I chased up the V reg recently and it last had an MOT in 2017 and reached over 180K in miles, I think my parents had the worst of it!

There is... Pound for pound they have no equal and their only true competitor now is the Bentley which costs 40/50% more...

Along with @ringway and @davidjpowell above, ask @Alex or @Giantvanman how their RR have been - yes there are unreliable RR out there, that’s not in dispute - but people who lift Mercedes up as some reliability beacon are going to struggle to convince me!

Our Rangie has been good to us. £50 for a failed headlight halo circuit board in 3.5 years and 35k miles. It lives on the street and is in daily use by the Mrs. I'm on my second S-Class in 3 months...

Unfortunately, Land Rover / Range Rover seem to suffer more than most marques when it come to rumour.

Unlike M-B which has been a mass-producer of vehicles for some years now, Land Rover still make relatively few vehicles and the Range Rover is the niche within the niche, as it were.

However, because the Range Rover's image is of an executive vehicle, it's appeal is wide and as they come down in price, so they attract those that want the biggest or flashiest car they can buy which stands out from the rest.

And therein lies the modern problem with Range Rovers; as they have depreciated, they have fallen into and been through the hands of those that will spend everything they have to buy and leave nothing for maintenance. These owners then either bodge the repair (still having done no maintenance) or sell it on with "minors faults, easy fixes" to the next no-hoper with unreasonable expectations regarding reliability but very loud and prolific opinions on why they think Range Rovers are rubbish and unreliable.

Perceived wisdom would have us believe that the gearbox on the TD6 WILL require replacing every 100,000 miles maximum without doubt, an odd stance when many owners have down two and three times that (and more). The difference is that that the latter did oil and filter changes as per the gearbox manufacturer's guidelines. Strange that, how simple maintenance can aid longevity.

I could give you several examples of "they all suffer from this" faults from self-appointed experts and there are plenty about but instead I will do what I sometimes do on the Facebook pages where the experts congregate to applaud their own magnificence....

Purchased at three years old in 2015, here is the list of faults suffered to date on our 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography:-

I leave it to you to decide whether or not pre-emptive maintenance and rigorous servicing pays off when it comes to reliability.
Thank you @SPX

I've never owned a RR so can't comment on them but in my 16 years of owning Mercs of varying ages and mileages (from 3 yrs/30k to 12 years/145k) I've had very few surprises.

Unfortunately, Land Rover / Range Rover seem to suffer more than most marques when it come to rumour.

Unlike M-B which has been a mass-producer of vehicles for some years now, Land Rover still make relatively few vehicles and the Range Rover is the niche within the niche, as it were.

However, because the Range Rover's image is of an executive vehicle, it's appeal is wide and as they come down in price, so they attract those that want the biggest or flashiest car they can buy which stands out from the rest.

And therein lies the modern problem with Range Rovers; as they have depreciated, they have fallen into and been through the hands of those that will spend everything they have to buy and leave nothing for maintenance. These owners then either bodge the repair (still having done no maintenance) or sell it on with "minors faults, easy fixes" to the next no-hoper with unreasonable expectations regarding reliability but very loud and prolific opinions on why they think Range Rovers are rubbish and unreliable.

Perceived wisdom would have us believe that the gearbox on the TD6 WILL require replacing every 100,000 miles maximum without doubt, an odd stance when many owners have down two and three times that (and more). The difference is that that the latter did oil and filter changes as per the gearbox manufacturer's guidelines. Strange that, how simple maintenance can aid longevity.

I could give you several examples of "they all suffer from this" faults from self-appointed experts and there are plenty about but instead I will do what I sometimes do on the Facebook pages where the experts congregate to applaud their own magnificence....

Purchased at three years old in 2015, here is the list of faults suffered to date on our 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography:-

I leave it to you to decide whether or not pre-emptive maintenance and rigorous servicing pays off when it comes to reliability.
Thank you @SPX
Can I ask how much you paid for it, how much you’ve forked out on the pre-emptive maintenance and rigorous servicing and most importantly how many miles you’ve put on it.

Can't comment on range rovers but:

Ford's owned , 3 , number of owned Ford's catching fire 3 !!!!!

Mercedes owned, 10 or so, number of owned Mercedes catching fire, 0

So read into that whatever you like :)

We have an old 52 plate S Type Jag that we bought at 14 years old that is our daily hack and got us to La Rochelle and back in 2016. Apart from some service items it’s had zero spent on it and has never let us down.
We are away until the end of August so it’ll be interesting to see if it starts first time after 6 weeks of inactivity. The MOT is due in September.

Observing empirically from the sidelines, I witness ownership of the green oval as a case of them being pretty reliable and well built on the whole (especially compared to those of yesteryear). But if they go wrong, it's more often than not in a spectacular and wallet crippling fashion.

Observing empirically from the sidelines, I witness ownership of the green oval as a case of them being pretty reliable and well built on the whole (especially compared to those of yesteryear). But if they go wrong, it's more often than not in a spectacular and wallet crippling fashion.
I was told the same by quite a few members here when my bro in law was looking at buying a used one for his trophy wife.

I think there's also a matter of tolerance. Talking to LR/RR owning friends, there seems to be more forgiveness for the likes of the FFRR because the majesty and driving experience is worth any pain experienced, whereas they wouldn't put up with the same behaviour from say, a D4.

Anyway...

Somethings already fallen off the Mercedes. That never happened to the range rovers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corona valet day!

ddb0ee8c24f53b53968e2b612bc62fa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom