I have a 1998 W202 C-Class with a noise that is driving me mad…please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bradspau

Car
Mercedes C180 W203 Facelift (2006)
I have a 1998 W202 C-Class with a noise that is driving me mad…please help!

It is a rubbing/grating noise that seems to come from the front left hand side wheel. It is most noticeable when turning (either left or right), but can also be heard very slightly when driving in a straight line at low speed.

I have had the wheel bearings checked on all wheels and they are all within specification. I have removed, checked and cleaned all callipers, pads and discs, front and back including the handbrake shoes. I have rotated the wheels back to front, and there are no signs of rubbing in the wheel arches. But still, after all that, the noise persists – Any suggestions on what else to look for would be appreciated, before it sends me totally ga-ga !

I also have another fault, possibly connected to the above problem, in that when I drove over an uneven road surface, I get a rhythmic knocking noise from the front left side wheel area. This is only noticeable first thing in the morning when the car is cold. The knocking is NOT apparent over speed humps or other types of road surface.

Thanks in advance for your help.

check the wheel arch liner carefully .. especially the one towards the front of the car with 3 vents slightly below the height of the headlamp. if it is scrubbing, you will see the vents with bits of rubber. that arch cost about £10 from MB. I changed both sides a couple of months ago. It was scrapping when I was turning.

Ive expirenced similar problems, and the liner was to blame.

I had my steering drag link bar replaced earlier this year as the old one had developed a failed fixing bolt by the front near side. This was causing general noise and clonking from that area, actually it also failed the MOT too because of it.

Linky to an earlier post with more detail.

S.

scaping noise might also be the disc shield... my volvo was bad for this.

Still noisey !

tried the wheel arch liner, but made no difference to the scraping/rubbing noise...any more ideas please.

It is most noticeable when turning (either left or right), but can also be heard very slightly when driving in a straight line at low speed.

Get it on a rolling road/brake tester and get down to investigate.

Also might try a large, eg school car park and have someone drive around slowly etc whilst you 'walk/jog' alongside :D - just a thought but it may be of use.

Rubbing Noise - Gone !!

With regard to the rubbing noise I have previously posted, I am happy to say it has now gone !! :bannana:

Had to have new tyres all round last week and on driving out of the fitters and turning, couldn't beleive it...no rubbing noise, quiet as a mouse...Now all that bugs me is why has changing the tyres removed this noise...I had previously rotated the wheels and the noise didn't go, so why now ?!

Mind you, still get the knocking noise when going over uneven ground, so more ideas on that would be helpful thanks/

What type of balance weights were used previously, and this time?!?

It has been known for them to catch on full lock!

Or maybe it was the tyre type? What make did you have and what have you replaced them with? Some tyres have a large rim protector?

What size/type wheels and tyres are you using?

Cheers,

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom