I have a Patent Question :)

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hi guys, I thought I'd ask here as a lot of you are very knowledgeable in things patent-y...

Is it possible to patent a website? - I'll expand...

I'm creating a website that does something that you'd normally do in a written form. After thorough searching, nothing online exists that does what I want to do.

Is it possible then to patent the idea of doing the exact thing that is written, and then doing it online with a central storage system etc... It's a very specific thing that the website will be doing, so in that sense I think I'd be ok - I'm just not sure how easy it would be to get a patent on the whole for something that is just a web based version of something thats normally paper based...

OP
OP
MercFanUk

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Haha no :p, I'll try a close approximation...

Imagine every time someone signs a visitors book when entering a large building. Well instead of doing that, they virtually sign in to a terminal.

The company can launch these at all their buildings as it's web based, and then have an easy overview of stats, detailed info etc. The system could then automatically issue a parking fine for people who stayed in the building too long using it's free parking.

It'd be patenting the process of doing that online rather than using a book... if it's possible to patent that kind of idea.

Last edited:

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
It's looking doubtful...

A patent protects new inventions and covers how things work, what they do, how they do it, what they are made of and how they are made. It gives the owner the right to prevent others from making, using, importing or selling the invention without permission.

Your invention must:
  • be new
  • have an inventive step that is not obvious to someone with knowledge and experience in the subject
  • be capable of being made or used in some kind of industry
  • not be:

a scientific or mathematical discovery, theory or method

a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work

a way of performing a mental act, playing a game or doing business

the presentation of information, or some computer programs

an animal or plant variety

a method of medical treatment or diagnosis

against public policy or morality.
From the IPO website.

OP
OP
MercFanUk

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Well, the first highlight would make me think it's not obvious, as it doesn't exist (Yet those who I have spoken to love the idea - although thats people who'd be using it).

The second highlight - it would offer a level of automation for certain tasks, so would be more than just presentation of information - would that still count?

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Haha no :p, I'll try a close approximation...

Imagine every time someone signs a visitors book when entering a large building. Well instead of doing that, they virtually sign in to a terminal.

The company can launch these at all their buildings as it's web based, and then have an easy overview of stats, detailed info etc.

It'd be patenting the process of doing that online rather than using a book... if it's possible to patent that kind of idea.

Except now you've gone and published it without having a patent in place... :confused:

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Well, the first highlight would make me think it's not obvious, as it doesn't exist (Yet those who I have spoken to love the idea - although thats people who'd be using it).

The second highlight - it would offer a level of automation for certain tasks, so would be more than just presentation of information - would that still count?

I posted that before you'd expounded your idea, based on the fact that it was an electronic version of an existing process.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
I know ;) Do you think what I added changes matters enough though, or would it still look doubtful?

I don't really know enough about the criteria. flanaia1 might have a better idea in this field.

D

Deleted member 37751

Joking aside, when I looked into applying for a patent, it is an absolute minefield.

It costs a fortune just to start and then there's no guarantee it'll be given the patent and then there's no guarantee there'll be a market for it.

You are looking at £10k.

donubenz

Car
w211 r230
Hi I have experience with trade marks which I guess is similar. We used a patent agent and there are loads about if you google.
I notice you are in Yorks so one in York is
HGF - People
No recommendations just from web they should give you best advice at a price. Our Trademark cost about £500 from memory 10 years ago.

OP
OP
MercFanUk

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
There's definitely a market for my idea, those who I've spoken to about it who'd be potential customers love the idea and are eager for me to finish building it.

The main things is to try and protect it to stop clones setting up and eating into what could be my own profit really.

I'm not sure a trademark would protect me in the way I want it to though. I understand that patents are pricey, it's only something I'll be actually sorting if/when the site takes off anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom