I Have a Question...cont...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MangoMan

MB Enthusiast
Car
2001 W208 CLK320 Coupe Almandine-Black. (Looks Purple-ish).
I Have a Question...cont...PROBLEM SOLVED...Thanks...

Right guys, I eventually got it started, after much starting & stalling, this after checking distributor, etc. Got it to run at about 2000rpm eventually, wont idle, well not at the moment, (engine not up to normal heat). But now I'm most distressed, noticed plumes of whitish smoke constantly comming from exhaust, but it doesn't smell of Fuel OR Oil, it smells like i've put about a gallon of redex down my Carb, really!!!

There are no funny noises comming from the engine, no backfiring, or anything like that, really strange!!!

Now I'm thinking (strange as it might seem), what if the fuel I put in last night is contaminated or something, I know some garages put additives in their tanks. Do you think I should go and ask them??? Maybe others have had the same problem, what do you think of the chances of that?

Tell me what you think it might be, please.....

Thanks, Bill.

Last edited:
You might have a leaky vacuum modulator on the autobox causing the engine to suck up ATF. Check the vac line to the autobox from the manifold.

If it isn't ATF, fuel or oil then it's water/antifreeze.

...yes...

...I did put fuel in, well it registered on the guage, now showing just under 1/4 tank. Just in case you're wondering, I don't keep much fuel in it because I dont use it generally, so I don't like it sitting with a lot of fuel in it just in case it gets stolen.

Anyway back to the story, where do I find the modulator? and the connections? But wouldn't have this shown up before? not just all of a sudden gone? It's just that it's just so much of a coincidence with putting the fuel in, it was perfect before, then 1/2 a mile down the road this happens.

Would you suggest draining the tank, if you can that is??? and putting fresh juice in from somewhere else?

Thanks, Bill.
This has really ruined my day!!!

Mangoman

Friom the inlet manifold there is a vacuum hose that goes down to the side of the gearbox. Try disconnecting and plugging the manifold tapping and inspect the pipe for fluid.
On the side of the gearbox is the modulator which has a diaphragm. If the diaphragm splits ATF is drawn into the engine.

Disconnecting the pipe will make the gear shifts a little harsher but won't cause a problem.

I've just rechecked your original fuel post.

You filled with BP Ultimate, but Ultimate what...PETROL OR DIESEL. Think hard before answering................

If it's diesel at least your car has no problems and will have had a good dose of upper cylinder lubricant. :D :D

...going to check....

I remember which pump I used, and nozzle.

But a quick question, what type of vacuum pipe is it that comes off the manifold, and which one?

Thanks again, really appreciate all the help, thanks.

MangoMan said:

But a quick question, what type of vacuum pipe is it that comes off the manifold, and which one?

I'm not sure on your car but it will run from the manifold down the firewall towards the gearbox.

Ian now is the time for you to shine!!

Panic Over !!!!!!

You guys won't believe this, went down to the garage, nothing wrong with the fuel, if your car runs on DIESEL!!!!

What an **** !!!!

Do I just put more petrol in, or do I drain it? At the moment it's got about 10 litres of Diesel & 10 litres of Petrol. At least my compression must be good! ...lol...

Thanks to everyone, for all the help & advice.

Now I just have to go back and put the bloody engine back together, which brings me to my next question, HOW? (don't worry, just kidding)

Cheers, Bill.

MangoMan said:
You guys won't believe this, went down to the garage, nothing wrong with the fuel, if your car runs on DIESEL!!!!

What an **** !!!!

Do I just put more petrol in, or do I drain it? At the moment it's got about 10 litres of Diesel & 10 litres of Petrol. At least my compression must be good! ...lol...

Thanks to everyone, for all the help & advice.

Now I just have to go back and put the bloody engine back together, which brings me to my next question, HOW? (don't worry, just kidding)

Cheers, Bill.

Ideally drain the tank. A quick way to do this is to disconnect the fuel feed pipe after the pump, in the engine bay and then to turn on the ignition if it's an electric pump or to run the engine by pouring fuel down the inlet manifold to keep it going. The car will pump itself dry.

If it actually starts and runs I might be inclined to fill with petrol to dilute the diesel enough for cold starts.

You should be able to get recompense from BP.

Tank Drained.......and ME !!!!

Hi, well I drained the tank using the pipe about 4mm ID that connects to the pump assy underneath the fuel tank, what a pallaver!!. Had to remove the big cover first. Eventually there was only a drip comming from it, don't worry, it was on the low pressure side of the pump, and replaced pipe and tightened clamp. The colour of the stuff comming out was sort of green in colour, anyway I managed to get out about 15 litres, I tell you I was getting HIGH Man !!!!

I'll go and get some proper PETROL, I reckon 10 litres should do, and hopefully I should be back to normal.

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers, enjoy the long weekend. Bill.

Good job with draining the fuel Bill.

Hope the new 10 litres of petrol will sort the whole problem out. Good luck.

Giving you a rep point for reminding us to double check what pump/nozzle we use when filling up in future!

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom