I have a theory on brand addiction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
MB have a simple and relatively evolutionary control layout tat I can trace the DNA through every model I have had.
One big stalk at 7 o'clock small one at 10 o'clock control all wipers, indicators and cruise as we all know.

So now BMW 4 stalks on my 7, at 7 o'clock we have cruise control with a huge paddle, at 10 o'clock it's mr indicator que loads of cruise control indicator japes - total pain in the ****. Wipers? Neatly hidden at 4 o'clock and over complicated.

I dare say it will be intuitive after a while but it's excessive in comparison to MB cockpit stalks.

So my theory is a lot of people try another car and hate it because of this deliberately contradictory layout thus scurrying back to the cars they know and are comfortable with.

Don't worry about the indicator stalk.
It's a BMW. You won't be using it.

Well thought out Dave :thumb: and very true...a standard marketing/design ploy used by many 'Brand' manufacturers of many goods that we buy......Saab used it as well but not to good effect :rolleyes:

It's funny what you say about the wipers and cruise control stalk location on the BMW's

I had the same trouble when I got our E60 5 series. Maybe that's why you used to see BMW drivers not indicating, they're actually being driven by Mercedes owners that have defected to the dark side ;)

I also used to find myself changing CD tracks in my Mums E46 BMW when trying to change the volume (they're also on the opposite side to Mercedes)

I don't notice any more. When I had my E65, it coincided with a frozen shoulder. The only way I could indicate for some time was to reach over with my right hand. The indicator was just too high up.

Almost true. The sport switch on my W208 CLK was conveniently and logically placed next to the gear lever. In my W204 C350 it's hidden inbetween the hazard warning and passenger seat cooling switches! I know it does a whole lot more than before, but I've no idea why MB decided to move it up there.

MB have a simple and relatively evolutionary control layout tat I can trace the DNA through every model I have had.
One big stalk at 7 o'clock small one at 10 o'clock control all wipers, indicators and cruise as we all know.
I agree with the theory. Whenever I've driven a BMW I find the indicator / cruise control stalks being the opposite way around to MB very awkward. However, according to info from this post, MY2013 W204's have swapped the cruise control and indicator stalk location :doh:

Driving Darth today a quick twisty road demands the sport mode is pressed.
Into I drive
Select settings
Turn controller to edc or whatever it is
Why no sport button - mad -

I have to admit, the indicator and wipers on the same stalk is a touch of genius. It cannot be improved and this comes from a man who loves BMWs

I agree with the theory.

Me too.

One of the reasons I like Mercedes cars is their ease of use, when I bought my first, everything just seemed to be where you'd think it would be (handbrake/foot brake excepted).

I also think the W211's interior and dash are peerless, the dials are uncluttered and are very pleasing on the eye, I'll certainly miss the interior of my car...:(

One of the reasons I like Mercedes cars is their ease of use, when I bought my first, everything just seemed to be where you'd think it would be (handbrake/foot brake excepted).

I'm quite happy with the park-brake, but then three of my cars have the same mechanism.

I'm quite happy with the park-brake, but then three of my cars have the same mechanism.

It took me about a fortnight to get used to it, and once I did, I couldn't understand why all cars don't use the same system.

That and the brake hold feature, another brilliant idea.

Driving Darth today a quick twisty road demands the sport mode is pressed.
Into I drive
Select settings
Turn controller to edc or whatever it is
Why no sport button - mad -

You will have some multi-function buttons to which you can assign this setting I think from memory.

It took me about a fortnight to get used to it, and once I did, I couldn't understand why all cars don't use the same system.

If I drive Mrs Dm's car I have to consciously think about the handbrake application.

So true! Yesterday I wanted to flash my Nissan's headlights at a **** Russian driver and ended up washing my screen as the washer is where the MB stalks are! Didn't have the impact I'd hoped for! :D

He probably thought...WOW that Blokes really angry, he's just washed the windscreen...

On the plus side, the screen was clean enough for him to see the finger I showed him through it! HAHA!

PS- Just starting to get used to the crazy Russian driving, after three days here... :D

I have to admit, the indicator and wipers on the same stalk is a touch of genius...

I disagree, ST; I'd say it illustrates the point that just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should.

Every other car I've had has used the simple principle of Left for Lights and, er, Wight for Wipers. The wash-when-you-mean-to-flash incident is merely annoying, but in the E I find I'm more likely to flash when I mean to wash - and that could even be dangerous. I've got two hands, so why not separate the functions to make them easier to find quickly?

Brand addiction? I think it's more likely to be reluctance to change.

Given a suitable period of time to adjust most foibles can be accepted. Be it indicator stalks or other fundamental interfaces.

We are creatures of habit after all.

At least the main pedals are in the same relative position in each car ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom