I have been invited out for the afternoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Btw - car insurance and speed awarness course - there was tv news item bout car insurance and 'speed awareness courses' can push up premiums - but not sure if that is a fact or not

It's true some companies load the premium more for an awareness course than for 3 points.

Went to see a rugby world cup game last year in Cardiff.
Got done for doing 36 mph in city centre & opted to do SPAC.
What surprised me was that 50% on the course were women.
Still think that we need more mobile enforcement than cameras.

That's pretty standard - younger people are more on the ball and know what to look for so don'tget caught.

Generally what most people say is useful is it makes them realise how clueless other motorists are. Colleague of mine did one and a guy whose job was van driver didn't know that vans had different speed limits to cars.

As is Flango's Missus.

It's amazing how they can detect things.
I went on the speed awareness course in my 40's and I'd only taken the stuff once when I was around 18 at The Hacienda in Manchester. :(

I went on one last year and the guy was telling us do not do this and do not do that,don't go over 30 mph it's just not worth it.I said if you had to get back in an emergency ie some one was ill etc would you speed to get there,he said he would try to get someone to drive him there as he may not be able to concentrate,so I said if nobody was available what would you do?He said he would get there as quickly as he could at whatever speed it took.I said "exactly" it's not always driving really fast that causes the accidents it's bad drivers and lack of concentration that does.He sort of agreed.I did find it quite interesting though and learnt a few things!

I think the ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2mph.

Of course, they're only guidelines so you can still be done for doing 1mph over the limit.

I went on one last year and the guy was telling us do not do this and do not do that,don't go over 30 mph it's just not worth it.I said if you had to get back in an emergency ie some one was ill etc would you speed to get there,he said he would try to get someone to drive him there as he may not be able to concentrate,so I said if nobody was available what would you do?He said he would get there as quickly as he could at whatever speed it took.I said "exactly" it's not always driving really fast that causes the accidents it's bad drivers and lack of concentration that does.He sort of agreed.I did find it quite interesting though and learnt a few things!

To be fair to the instructor he doesn't make the rules, he doesn't even work for the Police or any other authority as the courses are outsourced to an independent training firm.

I've found that the best policy is the keep quiet, speak when spoken to, learn something new and get the whole thing over as drama free and quickly as possible.

I went on one of these and lunch was pretty good actually. The bit i remember was when after lunch we went back in and the guy said to us, did you see the glum faces come out of the other room. Well you dont want to be in there those are the drink drivers.

I went on one of these and lunch was pretty good actually. The bit i remember was when after lunch we went back in and the guy said to us, did you see the glum faces come out of the other room. Well you dont want to be in there those are the drink drivers.

Did they cheer up after a few lunchtime pints?

To be fair to the instructor he doesn't make the rules, he doesn't even work for the Police or any other authority as the courses are outsourced to an independent training firm.

I've found that the best policy is the keep quiet, speak when spoken to, learn something new and get the whole thing over as drama free and quickly as possible.

Pretty standard for any training course then :thumb::rolleyes::D

The drink driving course is actually quite good (I didn't get done... work organised it for everyone). It teaches you how to drink and then (after a timeout period) drive.

They give you a rule of thumb which is 1 hour per unit plus 1 for absorption. So 10 pints of lager and a packet of crisps would equal 24 hours from the point you started drinking.

For people who are done for drink driving, they can reduce their disqualification period by 3 months if they go on the course.

The drink driving course is actually quite good (I didn't get done... work organised it for everyone). It teaches you how to drink and then (after a timeout period) drive.

They give you a rule of thumb which is 1 hour per unit plus 1 for absorption. So 10 pints of lager and a packet of crisps would equal 24 hours from the point you started drinking.

For people who are done for drink driving, they can reduce their disqualification period by 3 months if they go on the course.

That is rediculous advice it's real easy if you are driving don't drink and if you are drinking don't drive. The way some people's metabolism processes alcohol 3 pints the night before could put them over the limit the next morning.

I went on one about 3 yrs ago, at the start of the day we all introduced ourselves by first name, and wether your job made you a 'professional' driver.
There was a big laugh for some bloke was a police constable, and lots of coffee time questions for a chap who was a cameraman on Top Gear.
There was a seventy something lady who was very indignant at being there, kept blethering on about never being in a crash etc, ...she kept nodding off, and being woken by the trainer, ....someone asked if she had inadvertently speeded up when she nodded off to sniggers from all.

It was an ok day, learnt a bit.

Go with an open mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom