I have changed my MAF/air flow meter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobeyone

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280 S211
Very easy to do even though I was having a mild heart attack at the time!

So, now changed and my car is nearly 100% again - but do I need to have the ECU reset?

I noticed that the car was a little slow responding to the new MAF but after a few miles of driving slow - gear changes were smooth and kickdown even smoother!

But - I wanted to know if it would be worthwhile to have the maf reset?

I still cannot believe this part will set you back nearly £300...

mobe

Nice one!

Any pics or instructions on how to do it? I may be interested in having a go myself.

you cannot reset the MAF, as it is just a measuring device (hot wire meter on most cars)

To reset the ecu you would need to get a mercedes dealer to connect there star box or and one with an odbc compatable diagnostic unit to reset the ecu

You can disconnect the battery over night so the car is able to relearn in the morning.

I will try and post some photos tomorrow showing what you need to do but it is fairly straight forward, just a little care needed!

The MAF is located at the rear of the engine.

1. Firstly, you will need to remove the front cover followed by the large airbox/engine cover. This is held on with 4 clips on each corner and a gentle tug will release each one.

2. Carefully remove the air pipes located at the front and store the air box/cover carefully!!

3. You will see a large cyclinder with a mesh center - heres your MAF! I have attached a photo of the offender! A plug is connected to the right, remove this by pressing clips either side and gently tugging. A silver clip is located to the rear of the unit, carefully push this back to release.

4. There is also a set of two clips to the front of the MAF. Again, gently prise the clips apart until you free the MAF and allow it to move away from the engine.

5. Nearly there!! You now need to gently tug (slowly) free the MAF by turning and pulling until the MAF pops out.

Once removed, a rubber ring is loacated at the bottom end, remove this and place on your replacement MAF and detach the plastic clip carefuly by prising apart from the middle which holds the MAF in place when plugged in.

Simply slot in, push in carefully and go back as above and carefully replace the airbox/engine cover.

One thing to note is to make sure there is no play in the MAF when you finish, it should not really move and you can feel the whole part slot into the side of the engine when finished.

Will try and post photos tomrrow!

mobe

Attachments

• Web DSC07527.jpg
    Web DSC07527.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
turbominor said:
you cannot reset the MAF, as it is just a measuring device (hot wire meter on most cars)

To reset the ecu you would need to get a mercedes dealer to connect there star box or and one with an odbc compatable diagnostic unit to reset the ecu

You can disconnect the battery over night so the car is able to relearn in the morning.

Lets say there is nothing in this world that will get me to disconnect the battery after my last escapade :crazy:

I did actually mean the ECU... must have MAF on the brain!

Last edited:
Throttle Body Adjustment. They say this works on all drive by wire vehicles and resets parameters WITHOUT Having to disconnect battery!

The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving
style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2
minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.

Seems to work on mine.

Bazzle :D

Is it possible to drive with the MAF unplugged as a means to test whether or not your MAF needs to be replaced or would that lead to all manner of problems?

Also, is it possible to clean the MAF as opposed to replace it?

Thanks guys.

Zishan

When you say foot to the floor does that include the kickdown switch too?

se97mlm said:
When you say foot to the floor does that include the kickdown switch too?

thats what I thought - so I tried it both ways!

Have to say there is an improvement - is this a method used by MB? Whenever I read or hear about tips like these I always think - placebo affect??

But this has made my car change gears real smoooooooooooth!

mobe

Last edited:
Inc kickdown if fitted I guess.
Heard from a European workshop that does it all the time. Supposedly works on all euro cars with this throttle set up Audis etc.
Might be something to do with the commonality of engine fault systems, odb11 or whatever its called.
Posted same on Benzworld forum and have a few positve replies.

Bazzle

can not clean them electrical cleaner leaves a coat on the wire thus not a true air flow reading i have tried it on 2 cars
also maf signal goes to many obcand ecus and thus drive wirh out will cause a fer fault codes
most maffs fail just in spec ie slow accel and throttle response many change the throttle post sensor but its the maff
tests can be carried out but cost is high when compared to a recon unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom