I have resigned!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Hi all,

After cooking up a lucrative contracting style arrangement on the side, I finally got to hand in my notice today. My boss took it really well, but was rather disappointed that he had been unable to challenge me to stay interested. I reviewed the situation with him, and he thought that I would be mad to stay.

Departing with his blessing is an unexpected result. Only gripe is that the company I work for has a 3 month notice period, and I'd like to leave in two weeks. Currently in negotiation with HR, VP and the boss.

Wish me luck. :D

Scott

Any company would be mad to keep you on once you made the decisision to leave, what use are you to them, it's not too bad for 2 weeks, but 3 months, man I've been through that as a contractor and as a permie.

Only 1 site has ever made me stay for 4 weeks and I tried to be professional but it's hard work. Also the agency threatened not to pay me if I left early, fortunately my new boss was understanding and waited the 4 weeks.

I hope you get away for their sake and for yours.

Craig

Very pleased for your Scott. I'm on 3 months now, my last comapny was 6 months!

I found a way of putting it to my last company that meant I left a few hours after resigning ;) Heh and some say I have no discretion or diplomacy.

I have heard that anything longer than a month is generally unenforceable, even though it's in your contract.

I am sure some negotiating will see you depart on time. Even though you would not do anything harmfull, there is no good to be gained from an employee being on site that doesn't want to be.

I don't think it's going to be too difficult to leave on time. Possibly able to add an "I'm going to work for the competition" angle to the mix - that may see me out the door by tomorrow morning.

[insert evil laugh here]

scotth_uk said:
Hi all,

After cooking up a lucrative contracting style arrangement on the side, I finally got to hand in my notice today. My boss took it really well, but was rather disappointed that he had been unable to challenge me to stay interested. I reviewed the situation with him, and he thought that I would be mad to stay.

Departing with his blessing is an unexpected result. Only gripe is that the company I work for has a 3 month notice period, and I'd like to leave in two weeks. Currently in negotiation with HR, VP and the boss.

Scott

Well done. Hope it goes well.

What are they going to do? Chain you to the workplace, making a negative contribution to their enterprise? No, give them four weeks as the absolute max. you should work. Beyond that it is a waste of time for all concerned.

Bear in mind that one should not negotiate with HR. Despite all their bluster, I have with a very few exceptions found them to be powerless risk averse functionaries who defer in almost every case to the Line Management. Complete waste of space. If any HR professional are reading this, get yourself a real job.

Only thing to agree with them apart from you exit terms is the precise wording of any future reference they would give, should you need it.

As ever deal directly with the organ grinder, not the monkey.

Good Luck

best to leave on good terms if you possibly can, why burn bridges if you can avoid it? you never know when and where you might bump into them ..

on notice periods, the length of notice period works in your favour if they want to make you redundant. If you want to leave early, employers will generally do all they can to accommodate since they don't want someone uncommitted there. However, for senior employees, some companies will put you on 'gardening' leave (if there is such a clause in your employment contract) -- on full pay and benefits -- to stop you from working for the competition for the duration of your notice period and also to get you out of the office. Nice work if you can get it!!!

craigyb said:
Also the agency threatened not to pay me if I left early, fortunately my new boss was understanding and waited the 4 weeks.

Craig

Hi Craig, AS the owner of an employment agency I can tell you its absolutely illegal to not pay you for the work you have done. they might well not pay when they should but in the end they have to pay or risk prosecution. Its a fundemantal breach of the "employment agencies act"

Steve, thanks for the info, unfortunately this was a long time ago and I was quite naive at the time, so a battle with an agency is not what I wanted. I've since learnt to be more ruthless.

Craig

scotth_uk said:
Hi all,

Scott

Lucky bugger. When I did a similar thing, my old boss gave me instant dismissal, saying I was in competition with them, 16 years ago now, and the business is still going strong :bannana: :bannana:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys'n'gals.

i-resign is a great site. I used it at my last company, but sent it out to all staff for laugh. Ended up with a few applications to be my 'fisrt mate' as we sailed the high seas..... :)

IR35 'management' is something I have to study more closely. I'll be relying on the paid advice of others to guide me on this, however I do know that the contracts are IR35 insurable. I will be moving around a little and performing different tasks, so the likelihood of actually qualifying for the hit would be somewhat minimised.

Still waiting to hear on the notice period. HR are now involved, but since I have never given them any hassles they seem to be behaving.

Hope it works out for you Scott.
It's nice working for yourself but sometimes, at midnight and I'm still working , I do wonder if it's all worth it. It is in the end though.
Good luck mate ;)

good luck chuck - hope it all works out as you hope it will :D

Great one Scott :D Best of luck for your future career mate :rock:

So when do you trade in the Crossfire in for an SLR? :devil:

S.

So anyway, I resigned yesterday and spent the rest of my day telling people and having a general laugh......

At 15:38 the building I work in takes a power hit due to a failed component. Let me make one thing clear though, I work in the leading market data provider's building. The most important financial information in Europe transits this building. One of the most critical sites in the country!

Our well designed network takes a few hits here and there, but we did ok. So I am sitting on the conference call, documenting the chronology as Service Managers generally do. Nothing life threatening but a lot of unhappy people about.

Someone then jumps on the conference call to tell us that our centre in Chicago has just been evacuated by the fire department due to a burst sprinkler pipe in the building. Trousers slightly warmer and definately a bit more brown.

Half an hour later one of the OSS/BSS guys tells me under his breath that there has been a citywide power incident in Athens and we've just lost everything there too.

CRAP!

Long story short - I managed to get out of here after an 18.25 hour day, with the provider still in total disarray, our company looking almost 100%. We escaped with luck.

My boss announced jokingly to the participants on the phone call that this is the network protesting at my departure and it is my 'kiss of death' to the company.

Hahahhaha.

Today's a little interesting too.

Vice president has advised that I need to give at least 6 weeks notice, but has offered to relocate me and my wife to Hong Kong as a promotion.

Whilst interesting, I declined and told them that I will be leaving in two weeks. Fingers still crossed but have to wait for another day by the look of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom