I hope I live to 100...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My son was born when I was six days into being 26. I feel so lucky that we had our family then. It becomes really good when you can just hand over strength-type tasks to your child. I remember when he was between 16 and 18-ish, if I was in his way he would just pick me up and put me aside in a playful way. Good days. In my 40s I was frequently be told there was no way I could have a child in his 20s. Not so now, and he's 34.

I was somewhat embarrassed when the postman came to the door recently and said he had accidentally given my 'father' the wrong parcel! He's my husband and only nine years older than me. The postie must be blind!

On being told that I had months to live, then surviving (twice). I am careful to enjoy every single second I can with my beautiful family. Just being near them is precious. Walking the dogs on a crisp, cloudless December day is wonderful. I feel the same as I did before I got sick but know that mentally I am not the same. I have, however remained hideously good looking and that pleases me no end. Will I make 100? Just getting to tomorrow is a bonus some days.

Hug those you love and tell them you love them.

Yes, but they have different mothers :)

Rod's oldest and youngest are only 41 years apart, and Rod was a mere kid of 60 when his youngest son was born. I prefer the comparison with Robert DeNiro who was the same age as me when his youngest daughter was born. (We also both have four grandchildren.)

I'm 46 .I have four children , ranging from 12 to 21.For me personally, i had the family i wanted by 35 :)

tali said:
I'm 46 .I have four children , ranging from 12 to 21.For me personally, i had the family i wanted by 35 :)
When I was 35, and for a few years before that, I also thought I had the family I wanted. When I was 49 my life changed dramatically. None of us know what will happen tomorrow, but I can honestly now say that my life has never been better.

Statistically very unlikely to live anywhere near the age of 100. Even if you did the chances of not having health problems that impair your quality is life is even more remote.

It's being cheerful that keeps you going, then...

Great stories, however, my point in the first post was that medical science is striving make sure we all live to be 100 and beyond...is this a good thing?

The world is facing the abyss with regards to increasing population...and the scientists are only worsening the situation...albeit with good intent (or maybe the profit motive).

So, discuss this...not how old you are with very young children nor ho old the people around you are. I said I hope to live to be 100...so long as that's the exception not the rule. If we all live to be 100 this world will be a miserable place.

IMO.

I think that the balance is there somewhere. We are statistically living longer but we are also doing a good job in wiping each other out.

The problem we face is that when faced with our own mortality or that of our loved ones? The instinct to survive is huge and at times drives an "at any price" mentality.

Without wishing to preach about myself (do not read if you don' t want to know) had I known, what I would go through to live, when I was told I was going to die, death would have been the easier option, for me!! It would not have been the easier option for my wife or family and that was my first thought and usually still is.

Then you think - have I gone through all of this to just die? So you fight to stay alive and forget the reality that may await in achieving that goal. For me, two years of constant pain, was not what I thought I had signed up for. The body takes over and the pain becomes a background noise rather than a debilitating issue.

I often hear "you are alive" used as a rousing phrase, well intended and meant to please. To respond with "I wish today that I was not" is not us. We simply struggle with that. I never wanted death but do want to have the decision in my hands at my time and with my dignity. So I have made plans to cater for that. When that time arrives I hope I have the courage to see it through. That way I get to be remembered as I want to be remembered.

I have to say that in everything I have written here!!!!!!! It is absolutely key that we remember we are all different and we will all have different experiences, good or bad. I would not wish anybody to think "oh that happened to him so it will happen to me"

Last edited:
So do I, but I'll have to stop if their husbands ever find out.

Imagine the fiscal impact of living Statistically an extra ten years. We have seen the pressure put on the state pension and the amendment to normal retirement ages both public and private sector.

I wonder in the future if a Chinese style limit to the number of children your allowed to birth will not seem so odd.

I also wonder if in the future no matter what advances are made in medical science will their by a theoretical maximum age that can not be surpassed.

I also wonder if in the future no matter what advances are made in medical science will their by a theoretical maximum age that can not be surpassed.

This already exists in some form(s). With Cancer there are certain documented indicators that make surgery a non-starter. Age is one of the factors as is the spread of the cancer and it's size. We then have the general health of the patient and their medical history.

So an aging, obese smoker who likes a drink and has cancer that is aggressive may not get surgery. The same cancer may well be treated with surgery in young, non-smoking, social drinking, otherwise healthy patient.

Well, some would believe we have been here before, but how can one know? On the other hand, some people will believe anything. :rock:

Yeah it's definitely making a comeback :D

Just think, our next re-birth will probably see us driving Hydrogen cars. I wonder how many members will still be driving Mercs in a future life.

Mind you, imagine being re-born a Ford driver?

This afternoon I took an elderly lady for a drive , brought her over for a cup of tea and a cake , then took her the "long way" home as she likes to see houses with xmas lights. She will be 88 on december 30th , a birthday she had not expected to see when taken to hospital in May. She was clinically dead on arrival , and was resucitated. Initially , she was upset at being revived ,as she had been unwell for several months , suffering shortness of breath , and blackouts. She told the hospital she did not wish to be "brought back" again , as she was an end of life patient . Today she said she is looking forward to Xmas , and although she may be old and unwell , she is not senile and just takes every day as it comes. She really appreciated being taken out for a couple of hours , and accepts she may die at any time but just enjoys still "being here". I guess any age is only a number , and we all hope to reach the next one.

I have a chat every two weeks with a man who looks 70 and has the mind as sharp as a 20 year old but he was born in 1918,he is a great guy to talk to he is never searching for words...
Whoops, I often find myself searching for words and I'm decades younger than that guy [emoji13] . I'm curious, how come you chat with him every two weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom