I just bust through the paint on my wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

conor1n

Car
E350 S212 M272 3.5 // SL 500 R230 M113 5.0
So, yesterday I parked under some trees and birds s*** all over my SL.

I gave a quick blast yesterday evening to wash it off and when I went at the wheel, some paint came off.

First tip for the washer I picked up was the cyclone head, I thought it would be ok, but it was a bit too strong (won't use again)

I imagine the cyclone got in under the paint chip.

These are a refurb job and not 100% sure of the colour. I am thinking of getting some silver spray to patch up for for now (With appropriate sanding and masking).

How would you tackle?

20210422_201138.jpg

What condition are the other three wheels in? Trying to spray the patch never looks right, I would give the whole wheel a wet sand and spray it all.

The other wheels are quite good. NS front has a gash (don't they all lol).

I was thinking just as a quick fix..ill do a DIY refurb then when they all get bad.

But yea.. maybe a wet sand and fresh coat all over is good.

I don't know what silver to use though.

Agree with 91dm, but I would add that where there is any bare metal, give it a coat of etch primer and make sure there’s a good key for the new paint.
Follow the instructions on the product you buy.

One reason I never go near my car with a pressure washer. If it can blast concrete and sand off my patio then I reckon it won't do my paintwork any good.

I once used a can of Simonz alloy wheel silver and it turned out to be a good match, especially when the wheels are far apart!

Pressure washers have a variable pressure option, but if you go at everything on max setting, you will damage stuff. Water under pressure is very, very powerful stuff and will cut the hardest of steel to amazingly small tolerances including jet engine fan blades.

Blow the budget and have all wheels refurbed. I'm having mine done next week for £60 each. Any colour you want

Pressure washers have a variable pressure option, but if you go at everything on max setting, you will damage stuff. Water under pressure is very, very powerful stuff and will cut the hardest of steel to amazingly small tolerances including jet engine fan blades.
Most people don't realise the power of a pressure washer. They can get under your skin.

The people...? Or the pressure washer...? Or both....? :D
lol. I remember years ago when they first came out, (I think safety regs have since forced the manufacturers to make them less aggressive), there were one or two people that were injured by them - yes they were being silly.

Hi Conor,
I also painted my wheels using Simoniz silver wheel paint rattle can.
They turned out quite well. The critical part is the preparation - it is quite tedious and time consuming to scrape and sand the wheel so that the surface is good. If you don't do that thoroughly you wont get a good finish.
I also sprayed a clear lacquer after the silver coats.

You'll probably need to spray the whole wheel as just doing the patch will be noticeable.
Are the other wheels OK?
One rattle can will do a couple of light coats on 3 or 4 wheels.

Thanks guys,

The power washer is a Nilfisk Titan 120 Pressure Washer - 1400W with pressure of around 85 Bar.

I think the problem was a combination of accidentally using the cyclone tip and pointing directly at a bit of scratched surface. I noticed the damage on another wheel too. OMFG. I think it was the cyclone tip really. Oh well.

I think i'll go with Simoniz silver and some scuffing/prep before hand. It's not down to metal, but the primer.

Thanks @steveq that's reassuring. Hope you are well mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom