I just need a quick rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said I can't see anyone being asked to rip out their in-efficient log burners but they might be asked (forced by legislation ?) not to burn...err..logs in them

:doh:

They are planning to ban them as well , unless approved fuel is used. I believe some councils have already, mainly due to some owners putting any old carp that will burn in them, I know a few owners who do that already.

Crap that otherwise has to be collected by a diesel powered refuse truck and then deposited as landfill. Meantimes the permitted fuel has to be transported by a diesel powered truck after being extracted from Mother Earth's embrace.
I can see the particulate issue in cities but there is huge scope for improving air quality from traffic by getting rid of traffic calming measures and persuading drivers not to exceed the prevailing speed limit. And if they wont - then rigorously enforce the speed limit.

Agree Bellow, but log burners used to be a 'countryside only' thing , but I would hazard a guess the they are now way outnumbered by town bound log burners. I have country living family members that have a 'burn pit' on their land , it's the norm.

Townies with log burners need kiln dried wood sold in plastic bags delivered to their nearest petrol station by diesel truck to feed their hopelessly inefficient log burners so they can be 'closer to nature'. When the fuel cost to pleasure ratio gets too high any old crap goes in the burner. Not every town dweller with a log burner can order a ton of cut logs delivered because they have no where to stack and dry them an no where to chop them with an axe. I have countless fun conversations with my log burning mates in the pub, hours of endless fun. Especially when they are asked which is the most efficient type of wood and at what % moisture level to burn for max output and minimum smoke per Kg

If anyone is actually interested in how to use wood as a fuel and not a fashion statement they should read.

Norwegian Wood .Chopping ,stacking and drying wood the Scandinavian way.
By Lars Mitting
Macelhose press.
ISBN 978-0-85705-255-1

(I am not making this up)

I heard a late night radio interview with the author and mentioned it SWMBO and it turned up as an Xmas present a few years back. I am not a woodsman or owner of a woodburner , I think I have an axe in the shed somewhere , but this book is a quirky insight into the whole life of Scandinavian people (the true experts in this field) who are. It has colour pictures in it too...bonus !

If anyone is actually interested in how to use wood as a fuel and not a fashion statement they should read.

Norwegian Wood .Chopping ,stacking and drying wood the Scandinavian way.
By Lars Mitting
Macelhose press.
ISBN 978-0-85705-255-1

(I am not making this up)

I heard a late night radio interview with the author and mentioned it SWMBO and it turned up as an Xmas present a few years back. I am not a woodsman or owner of a woodburner , I think I have an axe in the shed somewhere , but this book is a quirky insight into the whole life of Scandinavian people (the true experts in this field) who are. It has colour pictures in it too...bonus !
I accept this is off topic but when we burnt logs, we had to be aware of the tar type muck that congested up the chimney flue (Happy days)

That’ll make a massive difference with the UK accounting for 2% of China’s exports!
Hi Knight
I read your comment regarding the 2% of China's exports.

Knowing you, I am sure that figure is accurate but to me, it highlights just how much China exports!

A couple of years ago we were at Shanghai and for hour, after hour we were sailing by container ports. It was non-stop with cranes all along the riverfront. Container ships were berthed in an unending line. On top of this there were dozens upon dozens of these mammoth container ships anchored in the river waiting for a berth. I just could not get my head around the amount of cargo that port was handling, and yes this was one port, so how much is being exported from China.

The good news was we were told the Yangtse River was not toxic!! The bad news was the water was allegedly poisonous. The edges of the river were not mud or sand... They were quite literally covered in mostly plastic garbage. Can we assume :) ...... This plastic will get into the sea and no doubt break-down and eventually end up on the other side of the World? I am guessing that for the rest of my life-time the main polluters of the sea may well be Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom