I just put unleaded in my c250cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
I know i am an idiot. I did not put a lot, just 2.3litres before I stopped and panicked when I realised I was holding the unleaded pump. :fail
After this, I put 55 litres of diesel so the tank is full to the brim. I intend to top it up now for a few days with diesel to dilute the unleaded further.
I am right thinking I should be fine with this?

I know i am an idiot. I did not put a lot, just 2.3litres before I stopped and panicked when I realised I was holding the unleaded pump. :fail
After this, I put 55 litres of diesel so the tank is full to the brim. I intend to top it up now for a few days with diesel to dilute the unleaded further.
I am right thinking I should be fine with this?

You should be fine, thankfully you noticed early enough! :thumb:

I wouldnt risk it at all.

The high pressure pumps and injectors are very sensitive on the 651 engine.

To drain it and fill it with fresh diesel should only cost you an hours labour.

You should be fine.

A relative whom on just purchasing a used VW Polo diesel, put in a few gallons of petrol by mistake.
It started spluttering but made it to the next fuel stop where it was filled with Diesel, and has been fine ever since.

Luckily he doesn't normally fill the tank, so there was still plenty of room left to mix it up.

I wouldnt risk it at all.

The high pressure pumps and injectors are very sensitive on the 651 engine.

To drain it and fill it with fresh diesel should only cost you an hours labour.
As a naturally cautious Engineer, I'd be thinking along the lines that roughly 3.3% concentration (2.3L in 70L total capacity) of "foreign" fuel wouldn't be likely to do any harm, but for the sake of an hour's labour and £85 in fuel, would I risk it?

<goes forward a couple of months>

"My car is now giving intermittent problems. I think it might be the pumps or injectors. Any ideas ?"

Personally, drain it and refuel. Don't fuel the paranoia as well as the potential problem.

Look at what Olly has suggested. He is a well regarded mechanic.

Its a lot worse the other way round isn't it? Diesel in a petrol?

I wouldn't risk it either. If it was me I would take the precautionary approach for the sake of avoiding possible problems later.

Drain and refill

As already mentioned the injectors especially are sensitive on that engine.

I'd stick a bottle of two stroke oil in just to give it some extra lube.

As a naturally cautious Engineer, I'd be thinking along the lines that roughly 3.3% concentration (2.3L in 70L total capacity) of "foreign" fuel wouldn't be likely to do any harm

True. It won't.
If worried about the minimal loss of 'lubricity' caused by diluting the diesel with with this small fraction of petrol , you can (more than) counteract it with a chaser of 1 litre of rapeseed oil from the supermarket.
The cetane value (whatever you do) won't be noticeable, either.

Make the tank empty from the front fuel filter.
Unplug the fuel line from the fuel filter and turn the ignition to 2 position.
The fuel will go out from the tank.

When finished , fill the tank with fresh fuel.

Otherwise you will lost your fuel injectors after 10.000 or 20.000 km.
OM651 fuel injectors are so sensitive, not strong like OM642
OM651 Fuel injector manufacturer is Delphi , not Bosch

For what it's going to cost you to drain the tank. Don't risk it.

£100 VS £2000

It's a simple choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom