I killed Bambi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisA

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL 63 Biturbo 2014 - S63L 2010 - CLS Weistec MSL Monster (RIP)
On my way to the Ferry Port driving along the country road when boom, Bambi has had enough and jumps out of the bushes :eek::(

Front nearside damaged and requires a lot of new parts but fortunately insurance are coughing up after receiving screenshots and an incident number and for an extra £250 MB can carry out the work

The alarm is 2 seconds prior to incident, something that my dash cam automatically calculates when it records an incident. Excuse the language !!!

On my way to the Ferry Port driving along the country road when boom, Bambi has had enough and jumps out of the bushes :eek::(

Front nearside damaged and requires a lot of new parts but fortunately insurance are coughing up after receiving screenshots and an incident number and for an extra £250 MB can carry out the work

The alarm is 2 seconds prior to incident, something that my dash cam automatically calculates when it records an incident. Excuse the language !!!

So sorry for you, too many deer roaming around countryside now, Ialmost took one out last week.
Glad to hear insurance are proving reasonable, though I thought most policies allowed you to insist on own choice/dealer (though deliberately less integrated claim handling so more hassle!).
Timely reminder to myself to check my policy!

Bad luck Chris. Did the same myself a few years back and its not nice. At least only the deer copped it and you are OK. I've heard of stags going through the screen.
Mind you it would be the size of an elephant to go through an S class screen.
Good to hear the insurance are paying out and not chasing Bambi for damages. These dashcams are very useful at times.

Poor Bambi, his mum has been shot and you call him a “motherf**ker”. Hahaha sorry that tickled me.

On a side note. Gutted about the damage to the car mate. I’d be bloody annoyed and probably call him similar.

Bargain if you ask me..............have you seen the price of venison lately! :D

So sorry for you, too many deer roaming around countryside now, Ialmost took one out last week.
Glad to hear insurance are proving reasonable, though I thought most policies allowed you to insist on own choice/dealer (though deliberately less integrated claim handling so more hassle!).
Timely reminder to myself to check my policy!

Think the deer and other animals would say to many humans roaming around killing them, why do people think they are the only things that matter in this world.

just a different point of view.

On the bright side, that’s dinner sorted.

From what I recall (unless it's one of those urban myths) if you as driver/vehicle take the carcass, you could be charged with poaching as could have intended to knock it down.
However I've taken them twice as a following driver and gained some nice meals.

Lucky escape for you there, Chris, not so good for bambi though. Went with quite a thud. Hope the car gets sorted soon :thumb:

Poor car, got any pics of the damage?

a bit of a cliche but luckily you're ok, i have heard people hitting bigger ones that goes through the windscreen now that would be scary.

Glad it wasn't serious. Shame for the deer but not much you can do in that situation. You were looking forward to coming onshore too - law of sod!

From what I recall (unless it's one of those urban myths) if you as driver/vehicle take the carcass, you could be charged with poaching as could have intended to knock it down.
However I've taken them twice as a following driver and gained some nice meals.
Not an urban myth. Neither you or the following driver can take the carcase. Section 170 of the RTA does not require you to report hitting a deer (amongst other wildlife, including cat's) but the deer act of 1991 stops you (or anyone else) taking the dead deer home to eat.

On the bright side, that’s dinner sorted.

From what I recall (unless it's one of those urban myths) if you as driver/
Not an urban myth. Neither you or the following driver can take the carcase. Section 170 of the RTA does not require you to report hitting a deer (amongst other wildlife, including cat's) but the deer act of 1991 stops you (or anyone else) taking the dead deer home to eat.
Yes, seems so, further Googling implies dead deer belongs to the relevant landowner, normally most adjacent to scene of accident.
I must have taken them before 1991.

Think the deer and other animals would say to many humans roaming around killing them, why do people think they are the only things that matter in this world.

just a different point of view.

Go on, it's cold outside so I'm bored and will bite
Respect that point of view, I bet the deer's are saying similar on the Bambi Forum!
Most current research indicates UK deer population at highest level for 1,000 years, around 1.5 to 2m currently, with annual compound growth of 3%.
Official reports indicate 47-50k annual RTA's reported due to deer collisions, 20 people killed, many more injured. Numerous deer also just injured (just 10% =4,700) and go into undergrowth to die in absolute agony.
Like it or not, culling or some form of sterilisation programme may need to be considered if we don't want this issue (and human deaths) to increase year on year.
Impossible to fund or implement UK wide fencing programme, anyway would disrupt other bio-diversity needs.
I know they seem cute, but so do other groups such as rats, locusts, etc (to some people).
So apart from plague or Armageddon removing humans, how would you realistically address the issue?
(Initial & ongoing cost, deployment, etc).
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom