I knew I would need it one day!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definitely, it's a valve cap which doubles as a core removal tool as well. He simply soldered a "handle" on to a standard dust cap to it to make it easier to remove difficult core's. Nice looking job he made of it as well.

Absolutely brilliant that you've still got it, and used it, I hope he's still about to know. I fancy it's a bit more than soldered.

We used to be able to buy those valve caps in the "olden days"
Yes, and we would lock it onto a tubeless valve with a vice-grips and use it to loosen and extract the actual valve's. The tubeless valve body would have larger diameter where it fitted the rim, and so gave an extra bit of leverage. Plus you could carry it around in your pocket.

Absolutely brilliant that you've still got it, and used it, I hope he's still about to know. I fancy it's a bit more than soldered.
Seem's to me that it's made from a bit of copper piping,,,and copper is one of the easiest things to solder, so I would bet on solder. What do you think he used to join the parts?

thanks for all the nice comments. unfortunately my dad is not around to know it is finally getting used.
the handle is made from brazing rod and it was brazed onto the cap.
what surprised me the most was that I could remember where in the house it was when I had a need to use it.:)

To my mind anyway, and I have done quite a lot of Brazing/ Soldering / Welding, both electric ( MIG and Stick) plus Oxy/Acetylene, I have never seen brazing rod's of that colour...the ones I used ( still the same today ) were " Brass" coloured, and had grooves cut into them to hold the flux as you brazed. You had to heat about 2 " of the brass rod, dip it into a tin of flux, which lodged in the groove's and allowed it to "bond" with both metals . So you live and you learn !!! :)

Actually after looking at it again more closely, I think that what was used was an Oxy/Acty welding rod....That would fit the bill, including color, and it could be either brazed or soldered. My guess would be solder as it requires less heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom