I know its been asked ALOT before, but

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip1972

Car
E350 CDI convertible 2011
I cant find the answer to this.

Glow plug light comes on for a second then goes off.

Lumpy idle for 30 seconds and then settles down. But the the glow plug light comes on (steady on) for approx 2 mins, then goes off. Does that every time it starts, hot or cold.

Had codes read, needed glow plug 2 replacing which was done, but still got this issue. No fault codes present.

Is it the relay?

When my relay gave up the ghost there was no indication on the dash , just extended cranking from cold.

When a GP gave up the ghost it was as you described with the light coming on then going off after a few mins , i replaced all the plugs and have had no repeat issues.

Possibly another one has popped , i would replace the remaining five and be done with it as IIRC they were only around £15 each.

Do you have the old style relay ?

Kenny

Last edited:
I had one glow plug blow so replaced all.
The light behaved as yours does, a good while later I got around to replacing the relay and all is now good.

I had no problems with starting at any time.

When my relay gave up the ghost there was no indication on the dash , just extended cranking from cold.

When a GP gave up the ghost it was as you described with the light coming on then going off after a few mins , i replaced all the plugs and have had no repeat issues.

Possibly another one has popped , i would replace the remaining five and be done with it as IIRC they were only around £15 each.

Do you have the old style relay ?

Kenny

Not sure how I can tell an old relay?

Its square and the edges are at 90 degrees. It does not have a sloping side like some I have seen?

I had one glow plug blow so replaced all.

Did the same in my other half’s CLS350. Light was coming on and staying on intermittently for a minute or so. Slightly hesitant starting on colder days. Replaced all of the glow plugs for piece of mind. Now all good and no light. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom