I know my Wildlife and that's a Snake! Erm, maybe not...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I'm interested in nature and wildlife and like to think I have gathered a reasonable knowledge over the years.

A few weeks ago, I spotted something on a local footpath that (especially at first sight) had me flummoxed and wary. Was it a snake?

3rdOctober2014169.jpg

This is the view from above.
As I stood over it, this creature actually looked up at me! It was like something from the film ET. :crazy:

3rdOctober2014164.jpg

Below is the side view.

3rdOctober2014165.jpg

And here is an image which explains the name of this creature. You can see the extended trunk.

3rdOctober2014154.jpg

The snake-look in the first image is a deliberate defence to deter predators.

The big "eyes" in the second image are fake - another form of defence.

Measuring around 80mm long and around 10mm in width this was quite a thing to meet and observe.

I managed to take the brief video shown below. It's upside down, but you'll get an idea of how this thing moves. :)

[YOUTUBE]Nr3TQyfZvaA[/YOUTUBE]

This is the larva of the Elephant Hawk Moth.

They fly during the summertime, so I should think this one will have to overwinter somewhere and have to avoid plenty of predators if it is to make it and look like the one in the image below.

tue+009.jpg

After using a twig to flick it back into the hedgerow (a feisty little warrior who will go on its back for no one) I warned it not to cross the road or talk to any strange birds and left it to its own devices.

Here's hoping...

I would donate a T Shirt for the survival of that moth. Great post Paul. Excellent photos too, is it a camera or your phone. If its your phone I think I might be due an upgrade!1

I'm a little ashamed to say that I had to look that up to see if it was indigenous to the UK. What a beautiful creature. Thank you for sharing………..I don't have to find something to learn today!

I was hoping it was a stick at first!

I wasn't sure what it was, and at first stepped away! :eek:

Excellent photos too, is it a camera or your phone. If its your phone I think I might be due an upgrade!1

Pictures and video taken with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. You don't have to pay a lot to get a phone with a decent camera, John. Starting with the Samsung Omnia i8910, then Galaxy S2 and now my current Note 3, each Samsung I've owned has had a decent camera. You'll pick up an i8910 or S2 at a reasonable price.

I'm a little ashamed to say that I had to look that up to see if it was indigenous to the UK.

I had no idea if it was a regular UK thing. I knew nothing about it whatsoever. The info above is what I've gathered through reading about it. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom