I learned about flying from this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Some months ago a few of you asked me to post some of my recollections from my days as a flying instructor. Its taken a bit of time to pick some which stood out most of all but this is the one that has always stayed with me, tragic though it is. I'll see about posting some which are a bit light hearted later. I have recounted it as best I could but it may confuse in places, feel free to ask or comment though!

Many years ago the captain of a North Sea trawler had a very unusual surprise during the examination his nets following a period of drift fishing. In amongst all the freshly caught cod and haddock etc he came across the detached remains of a four cylinder Lycoming aero engine showing early signs of corrosion.

After emptying his nets of fish he made contact with HM Coastguard to report his find and they commenced an investigation of their records to ascertain if any aircrew had recently been reported missing. In the meanwhile, both he and the rest of the crew took the engine to one side of the vessel and began to clear away all the silt and various other marine growths from its data plate with the help of a hose pipe and nylon brush and, before long, the serial numbers and other unique identifiers of the engine became clear.

This information was relayed back to HM Coastguard and, within minutes, it was sadly confirmed that some twelve months previous a single engined Cessna 150 light training aircraft, based at a northern flying club had, in fact, been reported missing along with its crew of one and that the serial numbers of the retrieved engine matched those of the missing aircraft.

We now have to move back in time some twelve months or so. It was a typical late autumn day with an associated late autumn anti-cyclonic high-pressure system centred and steady over the North of England. To those who understand weather you will know the type of climatic conditions that this will bring but to those who don’t just think crisp mornings, very slight breeze, small amounts of turbulence in the lowest layers of the atmosphere, temperature rise causing lifting and mixing of any dew and moisture into the atmosphere producing low cloud mist or fog, a temperature inversion follows and generally speaking your visual, as opposed to instrumental, flying visibility suffers a marked reduction.

As is typical of most aviation incidents, no one particular event ever becomes the sole cause of a tragedy and it is usually a combination of several factors. In this instance, the above weather feature was just one of many.

Earlier that morning two students presented themselves at the flying club with the intention of undertaking their solo cross-country navigational flying tests. One was scheduled to leave about mid morning and the other about mid-day. Both of these student pilots had become good friends whilst going through their training and had decided to plan their routes together at the same time and, in doing so, they could check each others calculations before having a final check carried out by the chief flying instructor (CFI).

At about 10.00 am both students approached the chief flying instructor for final sign off to carry out their solo cross-countries. Track, heading, and groundspeeds were all accurate as was times on route, fuel burn, and weather suitability at all destinations and alternates. In a nutshell the sorties were on and each students aircraft were carefully checked and fuelled for the trips.

Pilot ‘A’, we shall call him, departed the circuit of the airfield at approximately 10.30 and set heading for his selected first arrival point which was an ex-RAF aerodrome, but still in use commercially, somewhere in the midlands. About forty-five minutes later Pilot ‘B’ began his preparations and became airborne some sixty minutes later than pilot ‘A’. In this instance though he was flying the reciprocal route to pilot ‘A’ and in fact was making his way towards a much smaller airfield near to the coast of East Yorkshire.

You may, quite rightly, assume that both pilots had radio communication at their disposal and you would be correct in assuming this but, it must be appreciated, that because each one was flying a route which was a reciprocal of the others then they would select completely different VHF frequencies and report their progress to completely different flight information service providers and this was indeed the case. In effect both students were oblivious to each others progress.

Pilot ‘A’, after about sixty minutes flying time, reported to his destination aerodrome that he was experiencing difficulties in both maintaining visual flying conditions and also actually managing to locate the airfield and he felt that, time wise at least, he had overshot its location.

Pilot ‘B’ was unaware of this event.

More by a stroke of luck and fortune than management the destination airfield of pilot ‘A’ had at its disposal a ground based system of navigation called RDF (radio direction finding) and, coupled with a similar system installed at a near by active RAF station, both ground installations were able to triangulate his position and, in doing so, they were able to guide him to within a couple of miles of the destination aerodrome a which point the pilot became visual with the runways etc and was able to land.

We now have to go back to the typical autumnal weather conditions, which we discussed sometime earlier. What had actually happened is, despite the atmosphere being rather stable at pilot ‘A’s departure point and similar conditions both actual and forecast at his destination point that, after slight warming of the lower atmosphere by insolation at the destination, a small amount of instability had occurred and this had manifested itself by the production of low cloud / mist and it is this which affected and degraded the visibility of pilot ‘A’.

After signing in and after numerous nervous cups of coffee pilot ‘A’ had to formally announce his arrival by telephoning his home airfield and this he did but, he added a comment to the effect that he was very reluctant, to say the least, to continue with his sortie due to the now adverse weather conditions.

This next part is the true turning point in all of this. Pilot ‘A’ had an evening engagement and, in order not to miss this, he cleared it with his CFI to arrange for his partner to collect him from the destination aerodrome and take him home instead of being flown back. Remember that piece of information, as it is crucial to the outcome of this sad story.

This situation placed the entire club in a predicament. How do you get a stranded aircraft back to base? Well, the only way is to transport a suitably qualified pilot to the location and bring both the aircraft and any crew member/s back home and this is what happened except, without the no longer stranded pilot who, if you remember, was now being collected by his partner.

The CFI, along with the only other instructor at base, departed to the midlands aerodrome in another two seat aircraft. Before departure the CFI left instruction with the ground staff to clear all remaining aircraft away into the hangars for the day and to close the airfield. This they did.

By the time all aircrew were flying back in separate aircraft towards base the daylight had began to fade and, because there was no approach or runway lighting at the base aerodrome, a diversion had to be made to a local commercial airport and this diversion was reported to base. Safe landings were made by all and, with both aircraft parked for the night, taxis were ordered and all personnel went home. Remember, there were just these two, pilot ‘A’ was not present and therefore no discussion about pilot ‘B’ took place and further, both the CFI and his other instructor were preoccupied with the retrieval of the stranded aircraft.

Typically, whenever aircraft are removed from their hangars at the beginning of the day at a flying club each one has an inspection, of sorts. They are fuelled if not already fuelled; windows cleaned, oil checked, tyres inspected. All very minor stuff as in fact the actual pilot who flies them is the one who maintains ultimate responsibility for the aircrafts’ fitness to fly. Another check, quite a simple one really, is to make sure that your fleet does in fact contain a full compliment of all the aircraft, which you are supposed to own.

There was a slow dawning realisation on this particular morning that instead of ten aircraft, as there should have been, there was only nine. I have not mentioned pilot ‘B’ for some time and it was in fact the aircraft signed out to pilot ‘B’ which was not in the hangar.

After several phone calls there was acceptance that the worse possible thing that could happen to a flying club had in fact happened. An aircraft had gone missing, along with its pilot, and no one knew about it. Clearly there was an enquiry as there often is and, after examining all the available information, the conclusion was that the reason for the incident was inconclusive!

It appears that pilot ‘B’ only made one frequency change to that of the local flight information centre, established who he was and, after giving his intentions nothing more was heard from him. At the time there was no formal obligation for this flight information centre to track or monitor his progress nor did they have any navigational or legal duty towards him either as he was flying in completely uncontrolled airspace. The assumption, based on weather etc, is that he became disorientated in cloud, as did his friend, but continued on hoping to establish visual contact with the ground, which he obviously did not and instead he missed his destination. It is assumed that he made attempts to back track, became further disorientated, and ran out of fuel.

All of the above is very sad but also very true. As they say, just the names and places have been left out or changed in order to protect the living, so to speak. If I post any more they will be on a more cheerful note.

Portzy.

Not very encouraging......from someone who is about to start their PPL !!!!!!

Interesting reading though !

portzy said:
All of the above is very sad but also very true. As they say, just the names and places have been left out or changed in order to protect the living, so to speak. If I post any more they will be on a more cheerful note.

Portzy.

Good morning Portzy,
A very well wrote and interesting tale of woe.

So many questions about this.... Are there not numerous rules, or regulations to cover this circumstance?

Could you post any findings of enquiries with of course the names being altered?

John

Edit:
WLeg said:
Not very encouraging......from someone who is about to start their PPL !!!!!!

Interesting reading though !

Far better to learn from the mistakes of others.

Good luck with your PPL

John

Last edited:
Very good. I have a couple of "I learned about flying from that" books; the style is very similar Dave. Perhaps you should be seeking out an agent ;) :D

It's funny, I received the latest Transair catalogue yesterday and was looking through it last night like a kid in a sweet shop (as I always do) ... all them shiny new toys and DVDs and books. Crisp, cold mornings now as well, ideal weather for slipping the surly bonds ...

WLeg, good luck with your PPL; where are you doing it?

Interesting story.

I'm also a 'one day' flyer, done r/c for 30 years and enough full-size to know I like it ... but never got round to anything more serious. The plan is a PPL D for 3-axis microlighting, I'm quite near Popham where they do courses.

glojo said:
Good morning Portzy,
A very well wrote and interesting tale of woe.

So many questions about this.... Are there not numerous rules, or regulations to cover this circumstance?

Could you post any findings of enquiries with of course the names being altered?

John

Edit:

Far better to learn from the mistakes of others.

Good luck with your PPL

John

Afternoon John. Well, in those days, and probably even still, the ethos of private flight was to get in, get up, and then pretty much please yourself. In my neck of the woods we are, or were, blesssed with oceans of free airspace unlike our brothers and sisters in the south or south-east. All this free open airspace gave us much appreciated freedom from interference by ATC, RAF, FIS etc unless we wanted it of course but, with this freedom came a whole lot of responsibility towards other users, passengers, and the like.

The unfortunate soul in question would have been instructed in the need for keeping an open dialogue with some form of ground service for his own sake and safety but, as I said, the ground service had, at that time at least, no obligation to tell him what to do, no obligation to track his course, or keep him on radar, or advise him.

If he decided to go off frequency or no longer communicate that was for him alone to decide as that goes with the licence and with the freedom I spoke about above, the only prerequisite is that he would have been expected, as a courtesy, to give his next intentions but clearly he never did. In CONTROLLED airspace, its a whole different matter though.

The tragedy in question could also have probably come down to a feature of the mental attitude of some pilots and student pilots and its trade description is "press-on-itiss" which is a desire to literally Press On. Your head tells you something is wrong but your heart tells you that if you just go another couple of miles or a couple minutes everything will work itself out. Course, sometimes it does and some times it dont, this time it didnt.

Fact is, part of your dead reckoning navigation training is designed to make sure that you are aware of your position at all times i.e., track, heading, groudspeed, ETAs, landmarks, midway points etc so, if things dont happen as they should you can re-calculate and readjust. Pure self survival always told me to fly a reciprocal if I was flying into cloud or marked reduced viz, before I became instrument qualified of course.

Sadly, my association with matters fatal does extend beyond this one. Three of my clubs very ex students perished in similar but not quite the same manner. One, who you would have said was a safe competant pilot, got himself into cloud, became dissorientated and spun in. The other two used to frequently hop over to Blackpool claiming that, despite the Pennine tops being notorious for weather extremes, thier aircraft was more than suitably equipped for instrument flying and navigation. Unfortunately they were not suitably equiped, experience and qualification wise, and the last time they attempted a return from Blackpool resulted in them both being removed from a mountain side somewhere in the Lake District very much bereft of life.

Yes John, and others who have read this, I will round up a few other facts and features and post here if you found it interesting.

Portzy.

Hi Portzy,
A very big thank you for 'Part II'

I personally find it very interesting and am surprised how 'lax' flying is.

If pilot 'B' had booked in to land at a private airfield would that location have been expecting the aircraft and what a shame they never attempted to see if it was indeed on route? The end result would have been the same but at least the alarm would have been raised much earlier.

I know this sounds like the third degree, but your excellent story has got me thinking about different issues.

A big problem we have down here is where the horizon merges completely with the sea, very similar to winter white-out conditions.

I have not flown very much in fixed wing aircraft (passenger in a Pitt Special :D and a few other light aircraft plus of course much larger beasts ) I suppose it is so much easier to plonk yourself down in a helicopter. Or at least hover next to a road sign :) :) and get directions. :)

Thanks again for the update,
John

Flyer said:
WLeg, good luck with your PPL; where are you doing it?

Pangshanger in Hertfordshire is about 1 mile from me !

Last edited:
Very touching and sad story Dave.

Some of you already know my brother flies and he has several stories with sad endings, but it's like all things in life, there are sad stories but also many many very happy and exciting ones. Flying is a wonderful hobby or occupation. I have flown with my brother on a few occasions and done some aerobatics with him too, and that is just awesome. :rock: ( he used to fly the Pit Special ;) )

It's not an easy thing to learn and those who do manage it deserve much respect :rock:

Good luck Wleg - and look forward to more tales Dave ;)

glojo said:
Hi Portzy,
A very big thank you for 'Part II'

I personally find it very interesting and am surprised how 'lax' flying is.

If pilot 'B' had booked in to land at a private airfield would that location have been expecting the aircraft and what a shame they never attempted to see if it was indeed on route? The end result would have been the same but at least the alarm would have been raised much earlier.

I know this sounds like the third degree, but your excellent story has got me thinking about different issues.

A big problem we have down here is where the horizon merges completely with the sea, very similar to winter white-out conditions.

Thanks again for the update,
John

John, and everyone else.

Its as lax or tight as you want it to be really. For me, I passed through at what you might call a quintisential? English flying club with grass runways surrouded by fields full of barley and swallows flying overhead, all that was missing was a Spitfire doing a victory roll overhead, it was trully that laid back and idylic. Yes, we had rules and orders to follow and we had a publications called the Air Pilot, Rules of the Air, and Air Traffic control regs all of which were a bit like the highway code I suppose. Then, later, most of my flying was imparting training within the confines of busy commercial airways, large UK commercial airports or similar sized European mediteranean ones which were very strict rules and procedure wise.

Booking your arrival PPL style usually means ringing the destination aerodrome to see if they can accept you. If they say "yes" you go, if you want to that is. As there is no commitment on your part to actually go there is equally, on their part, no commitment to actually check that you have in fact "gone" and therefore monitor your progress or arrival. Alternatively, you can, if you wish, file a formal Fight Plan with ATC and this must be followed and monitored by all parties but its not always appropriate nor will it in itself prevent an incident, it may help folks locate your remains sooner though :crazy: .

The horizon where the sea meets the sky in clear air is in fact ideal, whats a killer though is fog/mist/low cloud with an irregular base which gives you the impression of a false, tilted L or R, horizon. If you use that as a reference you will apply L or R aileron to keep you in a perceived level situation but you will actually be flying a big circle. Your artificial horizon will then be your saviour, remember the head telling you one thing but your heart tells you another bit.

I hope you are enjoying reading this as much as I am writing it, crikey, I'll be havin' me maps an 'eadset out again if I'm not carefull :eek:

Portzy.

portzy said:
I hope you are enjoying reading this as much as I am writing it, crikey, I'll be havin' me maps an 'eadset out again if I'm not carefull :eek:

Portzy.

It's an excellent read, and your talents are really wasted... Publication must surely await you.

It is those horrible sea mists that merge the sea with the sky and there are days on end where the sea and sky literally merge.

I can still hear the birds singing, the barley is bending in the cool summer breeze and Biggles has just flown through the open hanger doors. Chocks away Portzy and on with the excellent sequel. :bannana: :bannana:

Tried to give you a rep point but get the same old message.

Excellent thread vote coming up.

Kind regards,
John

This reminds me of when I did my first few hours solo in a Cessna 182 - took off as normal and I was doing some circuit training (touch and go's etc ) when a few circuits in I was buzzed by a plan going the wrong way round the circuit after entry from a different airfield.

Very scary (afterwards) as he had the same altitude etc and it only takes a touch at that altitude 1000agl to go spinning in.... :eek:

(wont mention in my first solo when I came in low, very low towards the trees on the border of Biggin Hill and had to swifly pull up !! :eek: )

Nothing like coming in to land with the runway lights on ahead of you though. It's beautiful ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom