I like Merc's but !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meoldbangar

Car
C180 W202
I bought a 1995 C180 for 3K
My Landlord and a Mate said "
You won't have to buy another car"

After 5 years its costing a lot in repairs
I am not complaining about the cost (I enjoy driving it)
But
Whats the cheapest oldest Merc to run

or is there such a thing

Many Thanks

W124 250d, 190e 250d, w124 300d, w210 300td. This all assumes that everything apart from the engine is in good working order...
No merc is cheap to maintain even if you repair it yourself

C250TD on used veg oil:bannana:
i used to have a 250td i ran on veg oil a pound a litre , sadly it gt written off now have a e320 but i don't think you can run them on veg oil its a common rail isn't it ?

If you are going to run an old merc and keep it in good order, it will cost you money.

Some folk are lucky and buy such a vehicle for a few hundred and run it for a year or so without putting their hand in their pockets.

A new (ish) merc may not cost you a lot over at the parts counter but will cost in depreciation.

The choice is yours.

the cheapest merc is one that someone on an Internet forum bought for a "few hundred quid and has only had to replace a lightbulb"....for many of us, old mercs are not cheap to maintain if you do it properly. I've spent far more than my car is worth keeping it in good shape because the appeal of knocking around in an old shed is limited, to me.

C250td #1 cost me £950 and I ran it for a year. replaced fuel filter and air filter. didnt even change the oil. used set of winter tyres on nicer rims for 200 quid, two of those tyres are still useable.

c250td #2 cost me £820. annoyingly it looked better than #1 so I dumped #1 when the MOT ran out - but - its worse! so have had to nick the turbo off #1 for #2 :eek: and the exhaust pipe.... plus theres a vacuum leak. Should have stuck to #1, but its a bit late now as ive robbed lots of silly bits (cracked fan knob etc)

moral - buy old, but with service history, not low mileage.

No old car is cheap to maintain, the require maintenance by definition. However, I would say that fixing my c250td is easier than any vauxhall I've worked on. and the parts are the same price. However, I have alos bought new cars (C2200CDI W202 and a nissan Navara D40) and lost a LOOOOOT of money on them, far more than an old car costs to maintain. The Nav I bought for 21K sold for 7K in three years :eek: at that rate its cheaper to buy 4 grand cars and burn them at the end of the year!

I bought a 1995 C180 for 3K
My Landlord and a Mate said "
You won't have to buy another car"

After 5 years its costing a lot in repairs
I am not complaining about the cost (I enjoy driving it)
But
Whats the cheapest oldest Merc to run

or is there such a thing

Many Thanks

How many miles has it done?
It is 18 years old, of course it will cost money to keep going.

If you were in a late Ford Granada how much do you think that would cost to keep going? :D

How much is much anyway? What has it cost you?

How many miles has it done?
It is 18 years old, of course it will cost money to keep going.

If you were in a late Ford Granada how much do you think that would cost to keep going? :D

How much is much anyway? What has it cost you?

It has done 93,000 miles (proven miles)
Bought by Lord Alan in Wiltshire, have the paperwork to prove it
Hardley initially used
When I bought it, the tyres needed replacing because of standing and not wear

You are right its a good bargain
Only outlayed for a yearly service, last month a new CAT (£148-00)

Looks like I have the cheapest merc

Looks like I have the cheapest merc

That was what I was trying to get at, in the grand scheme of things, these are pretty cheap for what you get. :thumb:

The 202. One of the best MB's ever made.

3k sounds a bit steep though.

The 202. One of the best MB's ever made.

3k sounds a bit steep though.

Bought in 2006 with 39,000 on the clock from a Dealer with 6months
Warranty
He also gave me £450 for my 250,000 mile Toyota Celica against it

Everybody said it was a bargain at the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom