I like tattoos, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As someone who has never understood why anyone would want a tattoo, could those here who have them explain what motivated them to get a tattoo?

Also was peer pressure involved, or indeed alcohol...I.e. was the tattoo done whilst intoxicated?

Used to be a blood doner for many years, so was never scared of needles.
I got the first one done when took up martial arts, it somehow felt right at the time.
The next two are related to the same as above.

The last two are my boys' names and year of birth.

And no, never had to 'have one' before the session.
I dont drink, partly because of my job, partly because I simply dont like it and never did :)

No tattoos for me either, thank you.

'As nature intended' works for me just fine.

Go and have one (or many) if you like, but as for myself I just don't feel that there's a gap in me would be either filled or fulfilled by a tattoo.

As for my kids... I would advise them against it, but once they are 18 it's their choice really.

No tats or piercings for me either, purely cos I'm a wuss.
Off to get my bloods done this morning and already feeling faint. :/

I'm not one for tats, but I was wondering why people have the back of the neck done? I saw a woman the other day with Grandad tattood there. Having paid your money you never get to see it.

I sort of see when it's fresh and vibrant that it's a bit arty but 10 years down the road when it's faded I really don't get it.

It's beyond me.

Judging by their preponderance at the World Cup they are very popular with professional footballers. Some people may view this as a good thing but as in the ownership of certain car models there may also be an unintended negative connotation to that sort of image.

I'm not one for tats, but I was wondering why people have the back of the neck done? I saw a woman the other day with Grandad tattood there. Having paid your money you never get to see it.

I sort of see when it's fresh and vibrant that it's a bit arty but 10 years down the road when it's faded I really don't get it.

It's beyond me.

Well, why do people chose different colour for their cars? You dont see it when driving it? As a matter of fact, why have more than one car design anyway, as long as they look different inside where you can see them, the outside matters not, or does it? ;)
Same applies for private number plates, and so on...

Like I said earlier, each of mine means something to me, irrespective whether others will get it or not :)

I like tattoos (I don't have any) but I don't understand the current trend for visible neck tattoos and also the ones behind ears or on hands as you just can't cover them up if the need arises, the company I work for states that visible tattoos are a breach of contract and will be a termination of employment (they will not risk losing a possible contract due to a possible bad first impression).

People need to remember that footballers and actors generally don't need to worry about their next job but why would you risk limiting your own future?

Tattoos are very personal and no-one should be judged for having them or not. In an ideal world.I waited until I was forty before getting my first. It was very pertinent, planned and reasoned. As were the others I have had done. Would like a lot more too.

Anyone who judges me because of my tattoos will sorely misjudge me.

I am however, consoled by the fact that the judgemental will always find something……..car, clothes, accent, education, house/area etc etc ad infinitum.

Tattoos are very personal and no-one should be judged for having them or not. In an ideal world.I waited until I was forty before getting my first. It was very pertinent, planned and reasoned. As were the others I have had done. Would like a lot more too.

I am however, consoled by the fact that the judgemental will always find something……..car, clothes, accent, education, house/area etc etc ad infinitum.

Personally, I think the whole 'don't judge me' 'non judgemental is right' thing has gone way, way too far.

We judge people, places, situations - in fact everything - all day long. You're probably judging this post now as you read it. It's part of life & what people do. Just gotta deal with it I'm afraid.

P.S. You made a judgement when you said -

See, those pesky judgements get everywhere!

I was pretty desperate for a tattoo in my late teens, went to a tattoo exhibition that also covered scarification; that made me waver a little. Thirty years on and I'm glad I made the decision not to, I understand the appeal, but back then the appeal was that it wasn't main stream and therefore still considered rebellious. Time has moved on, tattoos have become the norm and consequently the perception of them has also shifted.

Inking your skin is no different than putting a favourite poster on your bedroom wall... 5, 10, 20years later, you most likely won't be thinking it's quite so cool, except you can't simply take it down and throw it away.

A lot of tattoos are done on a spur of the moment, no thought given, others may spend a year thinking about the design before inking. It really doesn't matter either way, no amount of pre-planning is as long as the lifetime you're stuck with it for.

It may take a while, but most people regret them, I have many friends that do, some of them choose to cover them, a couple have had laser treatment for removal, and another has pretty much managed to have successfully scratched out a juvenile 'SKIN' tattoo from the knuckles of one hand.

Last edited:
Nero, what a wonderful addition to this thread, thank you Sir (I assume). My thoughts completely, and your comment can offend no one because you allow for those who don't agree with you, you are measured in your comment, just entirely well said.

Regards,

Lisa

I have a 1/2 sleeve tattoo on my arm and I am far from the chav that these are associated with generally. I am very well educated and do what I will, when I want. I know I will be judged but these people are normally always judging a book by its cover without having read it.

My tattoo and its design contains many intricate elements which puzzle depending on how you see the world. Elements are placed in certain places to reflect certain concepts of the human body etc, far from the stereotype.

To add, as I was one of only a few undergrad students to be a published author prior to PhD, when delivering a speech at a conference I rolled up my sleeve and the professors on looking were gub smacked. Why I ask? well even the most privileged in society judge and generalise.

Or in fact when I step out of my Range Rover or CLS with a 1/2 sleeve, I must deal drugs hmmm, does Beckham do meth too?

As a City Trader now, I can tell you some of the countries most influential and powerful men have tattoos, all nicely hidden. Indeed many women like these too, you are "more manly", not sure but perception is great. What about the Mauri people of NZ I ask? are they chavs and druggies too?

I think perceptions are changing and just need HRH Wills or RH Mr. Cameron to get a piece and that should do the trick.

Nero, what a wonderful addition to this thread, thank you Sir (I assume). My thoughts completely, and your comment can offend no one because you allow for those who don't agree with you, you are measured in your comment, just entirely well said.

Regards,

Lisa

While I agree its a well argued point, I don't believe he allows for those who don't agree. His conclusion is tattoos are bad and you are "stuck with them".

I don't feel stuck with mine, but I do support fully his argument.

I imagine your tattoo was not a spur of the moment choice, Chris and def, and you are able to 'cover up' when the moment is right. It's a bit like me wearing disreputable trousers and coat when walking my dog in the country and something different in the city.

There are tattoos and tattoos, don't you think? Some have real artistic merit, some do not. Some are, in fact, something to be proud of (in certain circumstances), some are just blocks of ink, and I find those latter rather ugly and even disfiguring.

I, myself, had a similar process to tattooing done on my eyelids to define my eyes when my eyesight meant I could no longer use eyeliner. No one can tell. Not claiming artistic merit for that of course, just that it's not all tattoos I'm 'agin'.

Returning to the point of the original video, that makeup must be a terrific boon for individuals with scarring or other facial disfigurements they want to hide.

It might be argued that tattoos are a visible form of self assertion. Unfortunately people find it difficult to discern the difference between assertiveness and aggression since one might be said to simply occupy a different position on the same behavioural spectrum . When people experience aggression their response is often to express their dislike of the situation or respond in kind. -----Hence their expressed dislike of tattoos. Its perhaps just a surface manifestation of a more deeply rooted unconscious reaction to certain social stimuli with neither party really understanding why this should occur ? :dk:

Initially tattoos were only for the very wealthy.

Many aristocrats had them, men and women.

Over time fashions and attitudes change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom