I like tattoos, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
def90cars said:
While I agree its a well argued point, I don't believe he allows for those who don't agree. His conclusion is tattoos are bad and you are "stuck with them".

I don't feel stuck with mine, but I do support fully his argument.

No part of the post was intended offend, my comment related to how I know I would now feel had I of chosen to get a tattoo all those years ago.

I appreciate a unique / good / clever design, what I struggle to understand are those who pick a tattoo that is most likely in every tattoo studio artists book. A mate's son has a black star outlined in red on his forearm, when I asked why he said "I don't know, I just wanted a tattoo". Which goes back to my previous point of them now being the norm. My step-daughter gave me a similar response when I asked about two small hearts on her wrist.

Last edited:
I don't know how to do 'quote' on an iPad, but I would like to say I agree with the last post. I'm entitled to my opinion, but equally, so long as that opinion is not nasty (racist, horribly sexist (as opposed to good old British seaside type humour) or otherwise horrid), you are very much entitled to yours and long may that continue in Britain. I should add that I work in construction so when I say racist or sexist I mean pointedly hurtful, I'm not at all a sensitive flower.

apologies but no idea how to turn it,

Gazz, now you are showing off :thumb:

That is a tattoo and a half ;)

mine

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 53
OK, here goes (duck & cover) :eek:

Its all very well & clearly the relevant members on here have spent much time & careful thought over theirs....

But,

In my job I see at least 30-50 people (from all walks of life) every day at close quarters
Increasingly many are tattooed.
The majority of these have gone along to the local not particularly good parlour and got an at best mediocre tattoo, amateurishly done. These are frequently a crude blot on otherwise unmarked skin.
The said person feels compelled to do so as it is the norm amongst their role models. (But, in contrast, the said role model usually has quite artistic tattoos from more expensive & higher class 'artists')
I do not feel that these people have spent lots of time & deliberation over theirs- they have simply looked through a basic catalogue in the parlour.
Often they are done on impulse or on bravado & then regretted when more maturity has been acquired.
I also feel that most tattoos are acquired when the person is young, impressionable and often at a vulnerable stage of life. At times the tattoo may be seen as something that will improve their life, but this is rarely the case & often will have the opposite affect which then causes more distress to the person.

Clearly the tattooist is doing it for a living. Personally I feel that tattoos are too readily available. Some are nice and may be discrete but often are not. And yes this is all subjective & there is nothing wrong with self expression. Maybe we need to develop more complex forms of expression? Of course, ultimately a tattoo is someone else's(the tattooist's) interpretation of the subjects desired expression.

Surely there are more impressive things to do to gain respect amongst peers?
What happened to scientists/academics/nobel prize winners etc as role models? Before you say it I am sure some of the latter will also have tattoos, but lets talk prevalence in our society; not the Maoris.

The name/dob of offspring is increasingly common.
Do you need reminding that you had children? Can you not just look at them to remind yourself? I understand the extreme pride of having offspring, but I feel there are more impressive ways of expressing this.

What happened to subtle, understated 'scars of life'? Are people so poor at observing nuances of fellow humans that they need some overt 'label' of identification?

Don't even start me on how these self funded tattoos then become a drain to the NHS when the tattoos frequently become infected, plus people wanting laser removal done...

Tattoos are usually rapid and frequently financially & literally cheap, yet removal is extortionately expensive and involved. Maybe all of the tattooists should pay a fee to a body who will support/oversee more affordable removals, ie the tattooists should be held more accountable. Or, the tattooee should pay a small insurance premium to cover possible removal, a bit like how we pay uninsured drivers premium?

Another interesting observation is of models; Very few female mainstream models have tattoos, yet they are quite common on the male ones I think. This probably has some significance...

Clearly these are just my humble rantings which may be controversial :dk:

Last edited:
ps no offence intended! :eek:

Why do you think your post was offensive?

You have expressed your point of view, which to be fair I dont agree with, but it certainly did not offend me :)

You are driving a convertible, arent you?
How many days in a year do you actually put your roof down? Was it an absolute necessity for you to own such car, or maybe, just maybe, that is what you have fancied, and that is what you got.
Maybe you were getting another estate, but in the last second, acting on the impulse, you got yourself a convertible from a dealer you have never heard of. Or maybe it was well thought out, planned and researched action.
Also why do you need to remind yourself what the sun looks like, if all you have to do, is to get out of your car and go for a walk instead.
We could probably do similar analogy to people who own pets, drink alcohol, wear designer cloths, etc.

Some might say, that it is easier for to get rid of your car, than to remove a tattoo, which would be a fair point.
In my case, I wasnt doing mine already thinking how much will it cost and how soon will I want to have those lasered out.

Also, you will probably find, that NHS suffers far more greatly from unwanted / gone wrong plastic surgeries, than it does from tattoo removals.:dk:
By the way, I didnt actually know this was available through this route. Not that it matters, I am keeping all of mine right where they are :)

Now, tell me where you live so me and my homies can gang bang you, earning me another inked tear drop on my left cheek :devil:

Hehe ;)

Btw, look at my first, original post in this thread.

I am of a believe that most aspects of life can be positive, for as long as these are applied in sensible moderation.

Why do you think your post was offensive?
I didn't but there is always someone who is offended.

You are driving a convertible, arent you?
No, the wife is.

Also, you will probably find, that NHS suffers far more greatly from unwanted / gone wrong plastic surgeries, than it does from tattoo removals.:dk:
-tattoos are far more common than plastic surgery because they are so cheap, hence likely to be more rubbish ones that have gone wrong. Also there is a much higher requirement of training & regulation of surgeons than there is for tattooists.
By the way, I didnt actually know this was available through this route.
-generally it is not, but it does not stop lots of people trying & wasting the service's time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom