I like tattoos, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those offended can sit in the corner ;)

I havent got exact figures, and I dare to say that probably no one has on the actual cost to the taxpayers, following repairing bodged plastic surgery and tattoo removal.

It wasnt more than few days ago, there was a debate on the radio regarding cost of actual plastic surgery to the nhs.
'No more boob jobs on the NHS': Breast enlargements, tummy tucks and nose jobs won't be available, says Jeremy Hunt - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent
According to this, we are looking at around £50 million.

I couldnt find any information indicating the rough cost of tattoo removals, but I have come across this:
Can I get my tattoo removed on the NHS? - Health questions - NHS Choices
Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems that it is actually easier to get a plastic surgery on the NHS than to remove a tattoo, although both routes are similar.

You are right, tattoos are cheaper than plastic surgery, but it is the latter that NHS will found not the first one.
This is only speculation, but somehow I doubt that cost of tattoo removal, will come anywhere near of £50 million.

I might be wrong though ;)

The NHS doesn't really come into it, I think... instead this should be a separate discussion, regarding how much resources the NHS is allocating to treating 'elective' or 'life-style' related medical issues.

Smokers
Drinkers
Drug users
Careless drivers
Obese people
People who do not exercise
Motorcycle and bicycles riders
Extreme sports participants
People who fail to follow medical advice in general

...to name a few.

You could well argue that these all lead to 'avoidable' medical care costs incurred by the taxpayer.

Not expressing a view here... just to say that this is in fact a tiny part of a much bigger issue.

I did say don't get me started...!

It depends whether the plastic surgery is corrective, ie to make a person generally accepted 'normal', in which case nhs would pay with funding approval. Enhancing cosmetic surgery would not be funded.

Markjay, the bit about cyclists was very provocative and should not be in the same class as obese & all the other self abusers!

...Markjay, the bit about cyclists was very provocative and should not be in the same class as obese & all the other self abusers!

Yes it was... I was trying to make a point that we need to have a discussion in our society with regards to what we see at acceptable and justifying NHS care.

Obviously v. OT, but only the very unreasonable would exclude from A&Es the millions of people who use cycles as a means of transport

Obviously v. OT, but only the very unreasonable would exclude from A&Es the millions of people who use cycles as a means of transport

Ah...but you forget, this is a bigoted Mercedes forum...:rolleyes:

I take it you work in healthcare, if so is that at Norwich and Norfolk Hosp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom