I love a nice Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great pics of fabulous cars from and elgantly stylish era, Charles. You have me thinking about early Jensens now!

I was at the same pub a few months ago, if it's near Amersham?

Yes - the pub is at Penn Street near Amersham

This may be some form of blasphemy but I've never seen the attraction of Bristol Cars.

I generally love old cars, especially the Jensen Interceptor and Oscar India Aston Martins...but Bristol, it always looked like they decided to stop any design work after the 50's - maybe that's the attraction?

The two marques you mention, Aston and Jensen were renowned in the period for making some of the least reliable expensive cars of the period. Bristols on the other hand are supremely reliable cars, comfortable and fast without being overdone. I think the virtues of Bristol cars sit beneath the skin, not that the early ones were ugly in any way, but the market values them far more highly than Jensen, and for desirable models, the price is moving a lot closer to Astons. My 80s Bentley Turbo was a lot less impressive to me than the 411 I drove from a good 15 years earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they aren't built well, just not particualrly pleasing to the eye (well my eye in particular).

While admittedly it's not going to be to everyone's taste, I find the classic 411 in Series 6 form cuts a very elegant, well-proportioned figure and I'd happily have one in my fleet (and hopefully, one day, will).

bris1.jpg

I'd like it even better if they'd somehow managed to incorporate the delicate tail lights that were fitted prior to the Series 4 model.

I love a nice 'Bristol' ........................said Charles.

I prefer them to come in pairs personally !!!!!!!!

While admittedly it's not going to be to everyone's taste, I find the classic 411 in Series 6 form cuts a very elegant, well-proportioned figure and I'd happily have one in my fleet (and hopefully, one day, will).

bris1.jpg

I'd like it even better if they'd somehow managed to incorporate the delicate tail lights that were fitted prior to the Series 4 model.

The lights will be available from Unipart, given they are likely to be either Maxi or similar!

I have looked at Bristols in the flesh and they quickly grow on one, to the point where I think the 412 is a stunning car in the flesh, the Zagato styling being just right. The elegance of the 411 is another - the series 3 onwards are just beautiful.

Incidentally Mocas, there is a beautifully restored 411 Series 5 (pretty much the same lights as the 4) for sale from Andrew Blow here - if I didn't have more than enough cars and not enough places to live in a month's time, I would be seriously tempted.

Incidentally Mocas, there is a beautifully restored 411 Series 5 (pretty much the same lights as the 4) for sale from Andrew Blow here - if I didn't have more than enough cars and not enough places to live in a month's time, I would be seriously tempted.

Thanks for that, CM. Bristol Cars themselves have a couple of examples each of Series 1 and Series 2 models, which I find more appealing and would be my choice if the opportunity to commission a Series 6 is no longer available. I'm not clear whether the new management is still planning to offer this service, or even whether they still have the facilities to do so.

Unfortunately, I'm in much the same boat when it comes to having more cars than places to keep them. I need to have a thin-out at some point, as I woudn't take on a Bristol without having a place in my garage assured for it. I've seen what the ravages of the British climate can do to them.

The factory did the Series 6, and that is now shut, but Toby Silverton is notionally in charge of sales and restorations under the new owners, so possibly. As the workshop still can't take cards (nor even does it have an account) one feels progress might be rather slow.

I shall enquire on your behalf on Sunday, assuming Toby is there - I met him on the Bristol day out, which was great fun, he was in the gorgeous midnight blue Beaufighter for that. The restored blue 411 series two in the showroom is pretty stunning....

The factory did the Series 6, and that is now shut, but Toby Silverton is notionally in charge of sales and restorations under the new owners, so possibly. As the workshop still can't take cards (nor even does it have an account) one feels progress might be rather slow.

I shall enquire on your behalf on Sunday, assuming Toby is there - I met him on the Bristol day out, which was great fun, he was in the gorgeous midnight blue Beaufighter for that.

Thanks. It would be good to know how the land lies, although I'm not ready to take the plunge just now. I have it in mind to treat myself to one when I next reach one those landmark birthdays with a "0" in them...

The restored blue 411 series two in the showroom is pretty stunning....

Yes, one of those I've been ogling online: :cool:

1972-411s2-navyblue-lrg3.jpg

Fantastic looking cars. I'm rather suprised one of the big volume manufacturers never bought them to use as a halo brand ala Bugatti for VW or Aston for Ford.

Many years ago I had an office on Gloucester road and would walk past their showroom on Kensington high street to admire the cars, but never did go in. The two chaps that worked there, both looked like Lesley phillips, always seemed to be finely turned out in tweeds.

Thanks. It would be good to know how the land lies, although I'm not ready to take the plunge just now. I have it in mind to treat myself to one when I next reach one those landmark birthdays with a "0" in them...

Yes, one of those I've been ogling online: :cool:

1972-411s2-navyblue-lrg3.jpg

The big 70..

Note the four pipe exhaust system - in a wonderfully Bristol way, the pipes vent down, the raised section at the back is simply for show, but by venting down, you don't get exhaust marks on the wall of your garage.

Fantastic looking cars. I'm rather suprised one of the big volume manufacturers never bought them to use as a halo brand ala Bugatti for VW or Aston for Ford.

Many years ago I had an office on Gloucester road and would walk past their showroom on Kensington high street to admire the cars, but never did go in. The two chaps that worked there, both looked like Lesley phillips, always seemed to be finely turned out in tweeds.

I think in the days of Tony Crook they used to turn out customers who weren't in tweeds....my friend Richard had his payment (by cheque) refused three times before he was finally allowed to buy a car there - no riff raff allowed...

My first Chauffeur's job was with a chap called Jim Slater ( Slater Walker Securities, some of you of a certain age will remember him ) that was 1970 and one of the directors had a Bristol. What a great car to drive,cant remember what model that would have been.

The Directors had a budget of £ 10,000 to spend on there cars ( A lot of money in those days ). Which included, MB 300 SEL 6.3, V12 E Type, Ferrari Daytona, BMW 7 series, BMW CLS the Bat-mobile a couple of Shadows a weird Citroen DS something and other assorted cars. At 23 being and a petrol head it was very exciting.

Last edited:
I used to work with Peter Walker many years after the Slater Walker days, Peter, but I can visualise that car fleet even now! Another ex minister I worked with, William Waldegrave, has two or three 2 litre engined ones, including a rare 402 drophead. Despite their age they are wonderful cars to drive and that BMW derived 6 is a real beauty.

I think in the days of Tony Crook they used to turn out customers who weren't in tweeds....my friend Richard had his payment (by cheque) refused three times before he was finally allowed to buy a car there - no riff raff allowed...

How times have changed, they'll probably have to be doing something terribly vulgar like advertising for business these days.

I think that Tony Crook would probably consider advertising down there with similar below stairs things like making money.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom